Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

san diego hotel locations - catamaran vs hilton bayside

Feb 22nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

hi everyone - i'm planning on a trip to San Diego the week of April 5th. i know that i want to see sea world, but also want to try some water sports. i'm planning on taking a surfing lesson or two, and also either trying kayaking or diving with some lessons or help.

my question is - is there a significant difference in location between the catamaran hotel and the hilton bayside? both seem close to the water and seem to have good opportunity for water sports. Which would you suggest, or let me know what other suggestions you have.

I've never been to San Diego before (live in Toronto) and just don't know too much between the different locations. i will be travelling solo, so it doesn't have to be a good location for kids.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Paul
Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:40 PM

You are bringing a wet suit, aren't you? Because the water will be brrrr cold in early April!
Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM

You are more likely to find water sports near the Catamaran.

Hilton Bayside is on San Diego bay, which is not somewhere you go in the water. Sailing or boating, but definitely not diving. Lots of navy ships,commercial ships, and drydocks in the bay.
Catamaran is much closer to Sea World, and you will be right next to both Mission Bay and the ocean, both of which are suitable for swimming, etc. The neighborhood is probably more interesting for a single as well. both areas have lots of dining options nearby.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 07:16 PM

Catamaran hotel and resort is across the street from the ocean and on the bay and better for you as a solo with a lot of bars and restaurants in walking distance to PB.
Should be fun.
Ask for a higher room over the bayside.
Hopefully, it has been remolded recently.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:57 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone for your help! i appreciate it. so it looks like the catamaran would be better for me.

according to fodor's san diego 2010, they are recently upgraded rooms so that is a plus, although it says the hotel isn't centrally located.

i'm sure i will definitely be getting a wet suit while there! i did want to go to costa rica where i wouldn't need one but $ and the fact that i don't speak spanish changed my mind on that one. i believe speaking spanish would be a help in san diego but isn't usually necessary - feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

i would certainly like a higher room over the bayside, but those seem significantly more expensive and i don't plan on spending a great deal of time in the room.

thanks again for your responses!

Paul
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:02 AM

Paul,

Do you know about www.sandieg.org the offical tourist information web site -so much information and discount offers.

For hotel reviews look on www.tripadvisor.com

San Diego is great fun - enjoy.

Sandy
Feb 23rd, 2010, 04:03 AM

Sorry that is www.sandiego.org
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:49 AM

Paul..
Don't pay for the higher room price but asked upon checking in with the Front Desk..the Evans family who owns the Cat are good people and tell them you are doing a trip report of the hotel on Fodor's when you get back home!
You can rent wetsuites at either Hamel's in Mission Beach or another surf shop around the corner.
They also have small sabot boat rentals and kayaks for their guests.
Rent bikes and go along the 17 miles of beach and bayside which is an excellent workout and stop at either World Famous or Green Flash for lunch or sunset drinks and app's on the oceanfront.
Have a great time!
Feb 23rd, 2010, 01:02 PM

Paul--Unless you plan to have conversations with hotel housekeepers and with restaurant dishwashers, no Spanish is needed. San Diego is in the USA, and the natives, as well as many of the immigrants, usually understand English. Now if you were visiting Alabama or Louisiana, I'm not so sure. On the other hand, few of us in California speak Canadian--that IS more likely to be the case in Louisiana.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the links.

hamel's i wasn't aware of but that could come in handy there instead of renting from the catamaran. i did a quick check on hamel's online and they seem to have a good following of satisfied customers.

as far as speaking canadian, i am a dual citizen (went to U of Michigan) so I'll have to change my language to american once i cross the border . that's good to know though about spanish in san diego. i suspected as much but wasn't sure.

i'm really looking forward to this trip. if any of you have good suggestions on a scuba diving company that would be good for a beginner, that would be appreciated too. my understanding is that you can go out on beginner type dives as long as you hire a divemaster to go with you. any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks again for all your help!

Paul