Sante Fe Hotels

Sep 6th, 2001, 10:14 AM
don

Sante Fe Hotels

Thinking of going out West. Can anyone recommend Sante Fe moderate lodging?

Sep 6th, 2001, 12:41 PM
David

It all depends on when you're going and what you consider to be moderate. Personally, my all-time favorite hotel in Santa Fe is the Inn at Loretto. Great location, friendly staff all in a beautiful abobe-style five-story hotel. If you want to see a picture of it, get rates, etc., go to santafeliving.com. Click on "Where to stay" and it'll bring up a list (many with web sites). I'm not sure what the rate is for the time you'll be there but I always barter anyway.

This is a great town. Have fun!

Sep 7th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Paige

I was astounded at the hotel prices in Santa Fe when planning a trip last fall. We stayed at the Marcy Hotel Suites because we needed two bedrooms or two hotel rooms and this provided an economical solution. You could walk to The Plaza from Marcy, but we never did. The cheaper, chain hotels are all out on the main strip that comes up from Albequerque (can't remember the name). If you want modest pricing that's where you'll be.

Oct 10th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Don

I would try any hotel you might think you'd like to stay at, call them direct, and then bargain for your best. The hotels in Santa Fe are experiencing low occupancy rates right now but they have been reluctant to budge. Here are some names & no.'s, all area code 505,Good luck
Inn at Loretto 988-5531; Hotel Santa Fe 982-1200; Best Western Inn of Santa Fe 438-3822; El Rey Inn 982-1931; Santa Fe Motel & Inn 982-1039 and there are the usual chain hotels. This list is low end to high end.

Oct 11th, 2001, 02:12 PM
Christina

Depends on what you mean as moderate--I agree I was also rather surprised at prices of Santa Fe hotels, similar to NYC it seemed to me. I've stayed at two, I liked both very much and there were moderate by my definition. If you want a nicer place near the Plaza downtown, I stayed at the Hotel Plaza Real at 125 Washington St. It had suites (very nice) with fireplaces, a lovely property with all rooms surrounding a courtyard, two stories tall, very nice central lobby hotel area; this was priced the same as some of the std double rooms in other downtown hotels (about $165 when I went a few years ago but it was high season, others were about $175-200). If you want more budget, I think you may need to get away from plaza area, and I'd recommend the Radisson at 750 N St Francis. This is NW of central area but very accessible by major roads; it's a pretty nice property, motel-like but not cheap, has a good restaurant and is the location of the premier flamenco-dancing show in Santa Fe (Maria Benitez, I think). It's much cheaper than the downtown hotels (probably about $100-125) and I think nicer than some of the cheaper strip chain motel places--this used to be owned by some other chain (I forget name) so you may not find it in a guidebook under Radisson.

Oct 11th, 2001, 07:38 PM
texasgirl

Hi, as others have pointed out it depends what you consider moderate. However I don't think the prices are anything like New York; in fact I think Aspen and the other Colorado resorts are much more expensive, for instance. In SF, there are several good options _ but there are good options for $100 or less that are not chain. Above poster mentioned El Rey (very cool motel, 50s-60s vibe) and the Motel Santa Fe (not hotel, which is considerably more expensive); the motel Santa Fe is close enough to plaza to walk and has decent SW style rooms.
I also stayed once at a bed and breakfast that I liked a lot _think it was called parador de la montana? And it too was under $100.