Santa Monica Shopping & Eating

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 09:58 PM
Chad Osborne

Santa Monica Shopping & Eating

We plan on being in Santa Monica in a few weeks and would appreciate any info about the Lobster restaurant i.e. menu, location, and prices. Any other dining options would also be great. Also, what is the area like between the Swatch Store at Promenade Shops and the Lobster Restaurant? Safe and accessable for walking? How far to the House of Blues/Sunset Strip? Thank You

Old May 1st, 2001, 06:22 AM
L

I was in SM a few weeks ago, and had a terrible meal, really terrible, at Borders Grill on 4th Street. They are recommended highly by Frommer's so we were shocked just how horrible it was - dirty, food all over the floor, crowded (just rows and rows af tiny tables almost shoved against one another), noise like you would not believe (we were unable to talk!). I am telling you what I told their management ... their reponse to me was to mail me a coupon for an ice cream the next time I'm in SM ... of course I live 2500 miles from CA. I think they don't get it. If you drive west for 10-15 minutes, on PCH to malibu, there's a great italian about 28000 PCH ... Allegria. Five more minutes west, at Cross Creek Rd., just off PCH, is a shopping center with Tra Di Noi and Nobu, both excellent places to eat.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 04:08 PM
SenorOjO

The Lobster house is a great place to people watch and see the sunset, since the restuarant is a glass pavilion on. It overlooks the Pier and can be easly walked from the Promenade. Less than a five minute walk. Always alot of people out strolling and it is safe. House of Blues is about a 25 minute drive (city streets) through west L.A. and Beverly Hills

Old May 3rd, 2001, 07:36 AM
Christina

Another restaurant very nearby that I like is Ocean Avenue Seafood; I think their food is pretty good and it's a very attractive restaurant (it's right on Ocean Ave, of course, around 1400) and has a good sidewalk location. Also, it's somewhat cheaper than the Lobster, I believe (like maybe $5-10 a person). That area of Santa Monica is very safe--Ocean Ave is only a block or two from the Promenade. I'm surprised to hear about Border's Grill, but you never know--I know I've read high ratings of its food in places other than Frommers, but it is def. noisy and perhaps too trendy for its own good. Ocean Ave Seafood is not quiet exactly as it's a "bright" interior (acoustically, not a lot of stuff to absorb or muffle sound) but it was not terrible, and was a pleasant enough environment for dining IMO. I haven't been there in a few years, though.

Old May 3rd, 2001, 09:09 AM
L

In reading other posts, I noted the idea that Border Grill might be a bit too trendy for its own good. Please, in DC, in NYC, in SF, we have many places with that style of food that would put BG to shame. If you consider the fact that Frommer's knows about BG, then how in the world could it possibly be trendy? This restaurant, by the way, was begun 20 years ago. Frankly, their menu is tired, their food is second rate, their rooms are dirty, and the entire place is loud (even Frommer's mentions "loud"). This restaurant is more like a sports room with food, and full of kids, young kids. If you believe it's still worth it to try BG, please do so, with our best hopes you survive the experience. The place is grubby with food on the floor ... what do you suppose is happening back in the kitchen where the public is not admitted? I have told their management, and no one replied. So, business as usual.

Old May 12th, 2001, 05:07 PM
OCLocal

I have had two delicious meals at Border Grill. Of course it was crowded! Hello! The owners/chefs had one of the first hit "foodie" shows on the Food Network, they've written at least one very popular cookbook. Santa Monica is a very trendy place. I bet it was summer, Friday or Saturday at 8:00pm when you ate there.

Tip: Go for lunch on a weekend, go EARLY and there won't be crowds or noise. Or go on a Sunday-thursday for dinner (early or very late). It is regrettable about the small tables/crowded aspect, but unfortunately I have found many LA restaurants are that way.

I had a grilled portabella mushroom dish (w/veggies, beans and mexican cheese) that was complex & very delicious & unlike anything I'd ever eaten. They have a pastry for desert that was decadently good (puff pastry, sweet marscapone, fresh strawberries and dark chocolate). Also, for a lively dinner, the sangria is good.

Yes it's a scene. It's a tourist destination because of the fame of its chefs. But I wouldn't write it off.

PS If you want that "Border Grill" flacor from the "Two Hot Tamales" show, why not go to their newest restaurant in downtown LA (Ciudad, I think). I think it is a bit more refined (probably roomier) and features Pan-Latino food. I'm sure you can search the LA Times for a review (it opened maybe 2 years ago).Still, last time I dined at Border Grill (4 months ago), one of the chefs/onwners was right there on site. I would definitely go for Border Grill just to say you did (early lunch!).