santa monica or marina del ray

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully this is my last Californian question on this message board - you have all been very helpful! I am looking for a motel/hotel in a quiet position in either Santa Monica or Marina del Ray. I have been considering the Ambrose but at $225 inclusive of taxes its just a little bit more than I want to pay. My only criteria other than price is that I want somewhere where I should be able to get a quiet room as I am a light sleeper. I also do not want parking to be too much of a problem. Thanks Hilary
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:58 AM
emd

Less than $225 for a room doesn't go far there. What dates are you talking about? I spend a great deal of time in Santa Monica in hotels, weeks at a time this year, and am also a very light sleeper (can be a problem, esp. at the rates you are talking about in Santa Monica). Have made the rounds at the hotels there and might be able to help you but what are your dates.

Why are you going? For fun? I would not recommend staying in Marina Del Ray. I have done so and there is not much there, a lot of strip centers and the marina (there is a nice ritz carlton there but not for your desired rate, but no beach and not much of interest). It is a bit closer to the airport but not enough to swing the vote to stay there over Santa Monica.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:48 AM

Best Western Jamaica Bay Inn
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:59 AM

We stayed at the Bayside hotel on 2001 Ocean ave.Very quiet and close to the beach.PAul
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. Have been away for a few days so only just caught up on posts. My husband has now booked us in at the Ambrose and I will hope for the best noise wise. We have a car so no problem with getting to shops and pier. We are only there one night. Thanks again.
Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 07:09 AM

You do realize that the Ambrose is right in the middle of the complex of doctor's offices, clinics and rehab facilities associated with St. John's Health Center? And that it's twenty blocks from the beach? And that there's hardly anything of interest around there if you're not buying a car on nearby Santa Monica Blvd or getting a procedure at St. John's? I would assume, however, that the windows are double-paned and that the place is peaceful. For one night, what the heck. Just plan on driving somewhere for dinner and any nighttime fun.

Staying in Marina del REy (notice the spelling) is no worse than staying at the Ambrose IMHO.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I know all about the position of the Ambrose as I have read the posts on it. Its a comprimise really. I know that if I don't sleep I am horribly miserable. We shall use the hotel's London taxi and/or the bus service that another poster has mentioned. I wouldnt stay if it was longer than one night.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Hilary again- I have spoken to my husband who says we can change the Ambrose booking if I want! Emd - if you see this I would be interested to hear if you have other suggestions. Its just one night in Santa Monica on Friday 15 Sept on our holiday trip down the coast from San Francisco ending in San Diego. We will have a meal in the evening and then potter along the bike trail from Santa Monica to Venice in the morning before driving on to San Diego.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM

well there are some very nice hotels in santa monica--Loews, shutters, Casa del mar, but you will pay close to $400. Shutters and casa del mar are on the beach.
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Bayside motel 2001 Ocean ave.Paul