Search

Santa Maria Beef

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Maria Beef

Hi!

My husband and I are going to be in the central coast area in June of this year and are looking to enjoy some Santa Maria BBQ beef! Both of us are huge BBQ fans and so when we stumbled upon a website about the Santa Maria style of barbecue, we got very excited! I couldn't find any fodors posts about this, which I was kind of surprised about - and so I thought it was high-time!

So, the question is: Where is the best place to get some? Just to let you know the perimeters of our trips - we're going to be in Santa Barbara and then heading up to Paso Robles and then over to the coast over the course of a couple of days.

We've of course heard about the Hitching Post I and II (which really sound great - can anyone give a review?), but were wondering if there were any other good places... Even more particularly, the Hitching Posts are only open for dinner (which we're trying to fit into our schedule), but does anyone know of places that offer the beef for lunch? The more authentic, the better!

Thanks!

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM

Hmmm, mostly when we have Santa Maria style bbq (which I think of as marinated tri-tip), we do it at home. The next most common is from one of the stands at the thursday night farmers market in San Luis Obispo downtown.

My favorite beef in the area is actually the steaks at Far Western Tavern in Guadaloupe, west of Santa Maria, though it has been several years since I've been down there.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 08:51 AM

I didn't even know this type of barbecue had a name until a couple years ago - learned it on this board - LOL.

We always do ours at home too - or when we have big parties at a park or something.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

We're actually going to staying at the Paso Robles Inn on the Thursday night - perhaps we could drive to SLO for their farmers' market??? Could you tell me how far a drive this is?

I can't believe we'd never heard of this style of BBQ either until the other day... stumbled across a website - and were very happy that we did - it sounds delicious!
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM

Definition of Tri-tip:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

A lot of people outside of the western states have not heard of it. Story goes that it used to be ground into hamburger until someone in Santa Maria tried it on a BBQ. I can’t say for sure.

It can be tough if not properly cooked. If seasoned, marinated and BBQ’d properly, it is one of the best tasting BBQ meats you may have. It is best sliced thin and served with Santa Maria style beans (a small bean) and salsa.

Santa Maria has plenty of stands on Broadway during the weekends that sell it along with ribs.

McClintocks has a great BBQ at the SLO market as do others as mentioned. You can get it at just about every restaurant in the area though.

Brad’s in Pismo Beach has a great BBQ and makes great sandwiches from tri-tip.

Hitching Post in Casmalia has some of the best beef by far here.

Best Western in Guadalupe has gone down since it was sold and I don’t recommend them anymore.

Most people rave about Jocko’s in Nipomo. They BBQ various cuts and serve extra large portions at good prices.

Atmosphere is dank and crowded, yet they still come. Breakfast, lunch and dinner may each outweigh your consumption ability.

Since its low key you can take your own favorite bottle of wine. A lot of people from Central California, not just the central coast, are familiar with Jocko's. They BBQ some other different cuts such as a bulls eye steak. Fillet mignons are huge.

A.J. Spurs has been mentioned on this board. It has been a while since I ate there but a lot of good reports about it.

The basic “overall” approach to Santa Maria BBQ is to cook over red oak. Meats are seasoned with a “Santa Maria” style seasoning. It’s basic but very good.

When I BBQ tri-tip, I rub it with sea salt and garlic pepper. That’s about it. We have block BBQ’s a couple of times a year and the tri-tip is a big hit. I have 3 in the freezer right now.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:30 AM

Ahhh, Santa Maria. My family is from there. I grew up with Santa Maria barbeque.

Here is a website that explains it pretty well:

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/smbarbq.html

The steak is cooked in large pieces, sliced, and served with Santa Maria beans (pinquito beans---no substitutes allowed) and salsa. Add garlic bread and salad if you like.

If you are there the first weekend in June, the Santa Maria Elks do a big barbeque the night of the rodeo and parade:

http://www.santamariaelks.com/rodeo/rodeo.html

Looks like it is May 31 this year.

Favorite restaurants in the area for steak are the Far Western in Guadelupe, and Jocko's in Nipomo. I don't know if this qualifies as true Santa Maria BBQ, however, as the beef is not cooked in large pices but rather as individual steaks. Maybe you can find menus on-line.

My information is at least 40 years old, so hopefully the current locals will correct me if I'm wrong!

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 09:54 AM

Side note:

Santa Maria was acclaimed nation's All-American city one year.

After a number of speeches and whatever else they do at the national convention, the SM mayor brought out his secret weapon:

An arsenal of Santa Maria style BBQ's and cooks. My neighbor was there. They BBQ'd a "top cut" however, which a notch up but cooked a lot like tri-tip.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:03 AM

>> perhaps we could drive to SLO for their farmers' market??? Could you tell me how far a drive this is?

30 minutes south. Take the first exit, Monterey Street, turn left to Santa Rosa, then left again. It's on Higuera Street which will be blocked off.

Find parking structure on Marsh Street. Street parking is hard to find.

Lasts from 6-9. Many BBQ's and a few bands. The mission is adjacent.

Strollers are welcome, pets aren't.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:19 AM

Its funny what you take for granted when you grow up someplace and it never occurs to you that something is actually very specific to the area.

It is sort of like ollalieberries - I was an adult before I realized they weren't common everywhere like raspberries - LOL.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM

Beart900---when is your next block party? I'll bring the Santa Maria beans---Mom's recipe (she was born in Santa Maria) and I have the pinquitos in stock.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM

The meat IS NOT marinated... only dry seasoned!

The Hitching Post in Casmalia and The Far Western Tavern are the best in the area. You can google for both websites.. I like to stop in at the bar of the FW and have a few drinks and then continue to The Post for dinner... just my preference. (The Far western has been in the same family for about 50 years... did not sell... and the food is better than ever!)

Jocko's is the one, IMHO, that has gone downhill quite a bit over the last few years... still does a raging tourist business though.

If you search here, there are several reviews of the Hitching Post and also on chowhound.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:11 PM

Hi onemoneygirl

re: HP in Casmalia. Its tops.

Re: FW, it was sold to the kids not many years ago, but yes that is still family.

We and others we know felt it went downhill so haven't been back. Maybe they are back up to speeed?

Re: Jocko's...it is what it is.

I get dragged there every now and then by people (including family) who really love it and I get my fill.

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:14 PM

Hi enzian,

Supposed to get really warm tomorrow so busting out the bbq.

Dou you live nearby or in the valley?

1st BP usually in May.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:19 PM

> The meat IS NOT marinated... only dry seasoned!

That's how I bbq it. I have tasted others who marinate it with their own secret recipes. It's all good...
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:29 PM

Bear900, I'll have to take a rain check---I'm up here in Seattle hard at work.

Just for the record, my family did not eat at Jocko's. The only place we went, other than the Elks' BBQ, was the Far Western. Glad to hear they are still in business. That was quite a place, even 45 years ago.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:13 PM

Re: Far Western... yes, they had some rocky times when the kids first took over... due to a bad manager but they've worked really hard over the past three years and the last few times I've been there, it's been terrific. I especially LOVE their Sunday breakfasts... one of the best around for steak and eggs or linguica. (my favorite!)
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

This is truly why I love these boards... It's so amazing to ask a question and then be able to hear from so many knowledgeable locals (and experienced travelers!)... thank you so much! Can't wait to try at least one or two of these places in June!!!

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM

My wife and I have been to the Hitching Post 2 (Buellton) twice and enjoyed both visits. It does get quite crowded so I would recommend making a reservation.
Old Apr 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM

I had dinner last night at the Far Western and it was better than ever... just so you know!! I had a cheeseburger and my friend had the 8 oz. filet... said it was perfect.

Nancy, our waitress was the perfect server and my drink was strong and I can't wait to go back!