Santa Fe to Grand Canyon

Search

Santa Fe to Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Fe to Grand Canyon

We are planning to travel from Santa Fe (or Taos) to south rim of Grand Canyon and then on to Flagstaff. What would be a recommended route and must see sights prior to Grand Canyon?
Old Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:27 PM

There are many routes with plent of places to stop. I'll give you a couple of ideas.

The fastest route would be to go to Albuquerque and take I-40 and stop at the Petrified Forest and Painted Desert and Walnut Canyon National Monument before heading north on Hwy 89. Take the side route Hwy 395 by Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monument. Total miles 520.

From Taos take Hwy 64 west to Bloomfield, NM. If you want to take a side trip to Aztec Ruins National Monument take Hwy 544 then come back on Hwy 550 to Farmington. Stay on Hwy 64 which changes to Hwy 160 in Arizon. At Kayenta take a side trip to Monument Valley on Hwy 163. Another side trip on Hwy 160 is to Navajo National Monument. Take Hwy 89 south to Hwy 64 to the Grand Canyon. Total miles with side trips 655 miles.

From Santa Fe go south on I-25 and west on I-40. In Albuquerque there is Petroglyph National Monument. At Gallup, NM take Hwy 666 north and then Hwy 264 west to Window Rock, AZ, and then take Hwy 191 to Hubble Trading Post Historical Site and Canyon de Chelly National Monument. Double back on Hwy 191 back to Hwy 264 and that that scenic drive to Tuba City, AZ. South on Hwy 89 and enter the Grand Canyon on Hwy 64. Total miles 524.

Utahtea

Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:07 PM

having gone all these routes utahtea mentioned, i would take the gallup, canyon de chelly way. i would pass up the petroglyph park and instead visit acoma sky village near grants. it is an ancient pueblo, still inhabited, with quite a history and on top of a mesa with a breaktaking view. a bus/guide takes you up to the top. you will not see the wonderful canyon de chelly unless you take the guided 1/2-day or all-day tour. i would stop overnight at the thunderbird lodge at canyon d.c.

you might read some tony hillerman books. fictional navaho policemen chee and lt. leaphorn cover the area of the navajo nation on this route. also describes to us the "navajo way", along with mystery and humor. then through monument valley and on to navajo natl. mon., tuba city and grand canyon.

beautiful country! full of history. you can whip through all this million-dollar scenery in a flash, but you might prefer to stop along the way to gather it all in.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:09 PM

p.s. before utahtea jumps in, yes, you can see canyon de chelly by driving along the rim and looking down. but it's just not the same.
Old Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:15 PM

LOL, do I have that bad of a reputation.

Yes, you can see the scenic overlooks of Canyon de Chelly but the only hiking into the canyon without a authorized Navajo guide is the 2.5-mile White House Ruins Trail.

The first two times we went to Canyon de Chelly we stayed on the rim but the last time we took a guided tour in the canyon and they are well worth it.

Utahtea
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 12:29 PM

utahtea, your knowledge of the southwest always leaves me breathless. i know it has helped many a traveler, especially your mileage and driving times info.

whatever does lol mean? lots of love, lordy o lordy?

best regards.
Old Mar 4th, 2003, 08:43 PM

LOL means Laughing Out Loud.

Thank you for the nice complement. I love the southwest and I guess it shows

Utahtea
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the extremely helpful and thorough advise.