Santa Fe, N.M.

Old Jun 20th, 2024, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Fe, N.M.

I plan to do a stop in Santa Fe on my way to Ruidosa, New Mexico in mid August with my daughter who has never been to Santa Fe. I have been there once many years ago.
My question is: we may arrive to Santa Fe by 4:00, p.m. traveling from Colorado and would need to leave the following day by 2:00. Is that enough time to see all the
most important sites like:
The Cathedral Basilica, O'Keeffe Museum, Santa Fe Plaza, Museum of Folk Art, a drive up Canyon Road? We are "fit" people who can walk most places from Santa Fe Motel Inn.
I want this stay to be special for my daughter since it may be the only time she see Santa Fe since she lives in southern Florida. Open to any other suggestions for a motel. I see reservations are
going fast!
Thank you!
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 05:38 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Is that enough time to see all the most important sites like: The Cathedral Basilica, O'Keeffe Museum, Santa Fe Plaza, Museum of Folk Art, a drive up Canyon Road?

Depends on how fast you move.

The O'Keeffe Museum and Museum of Folk Art are only open from 10-5. I doubt you'll have time to see either on your day of arrival, so that means both for the following day.
Old Jun 20th, 2024, 06:09 AM

I am sure that you are following this https://www.ruidoso-nm.gov/news-info...xspebm3l-b6lak

For such a short stay I would look at a place right off the square, not a 10-15 minute walk away. I would also make a dinner reservation for peak season.

Old Jun 21st, 2024, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions--what motel/hotel would you recommend as you mentioned "right off the square". I know Santa Fe has many Mexican restaurants,
any suggestion for authentic Mexican food.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Could we get through the O'Keeffe Museum in 3 hours?
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 06:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can see the O'Keeffe museum in an hour or so, depending on your level of interest in her work.

It sounds as if you are going to be in Santa Fe during the Indian Market which takes place in and around the plaza. There will be road closures to accommodate the market. Check your calendar. The little city will be absolutely slammed with people. I'd be surprised if you could get a hotel room off the plaza at this point or the rate will be astronomically high. And definitely make reservations for dinner.

Honestly, not an ideal time for a short stay for a first and maybe only time visitor. Good luck!
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 06:33 AM

Indian Market is the 17/18th for planning purposes. You would not be able to get a room this late for Indian Market weekend.

Pasqual's is an old standby for SW cuisine. I am not familiar with the central hotels.

This is more the current spirit of Santa Fe, not the old fogey SF which is more your proposed itinerary.
https://meowwolf.com/visit/santa-fe?...m_campaign=gbp
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by tom_mn
Indian Market is the 17/18th for planning purposes. You would not be able to get a room this late for Indian Market weekend.

Pasqual's is an old standby for SW cuisine. I am not familiar with the central hotels.

This is more the current spirit of Santa Fe, not the old fogey SF which is more your proposed itinerary.
https://meowwolf.com/visit/santa-fe?...m_campaign=gbp
The Meowolf experience is available in a number of US cities including, I think, Denver.

Referring to the unique historic & cultural aspects of Santa Fe as "old fogey" is weird.

Pretty sure Cafe Pasqual's takes bookings only by phone. It's likely shut out for you if, in fact, your visit coincides with the Indian Market (which tom_mn would probably also refer to as old fogey).
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 12:11 PM

Santa Fe isn't called the Palm Beach of the West for no reason, it's old well-to-do white folks and then more old well-to-do white folks.

Indian Market isn't my kind of thing, although I thought the vendors' wares at the fringe of the closed off area had some value. The core area was overpriced.

Canyon Rd is very much old fogey.
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 03:04 PM

That Santa Fe is an attractive retirement destination for old wealthy people doesn't negate the fact that it is the capital city of New Mexico and is rich in art, history, culture, and great New Mexican food.

Best of luck to barminski on sorting out a visit there!
Old Jun 21st, 2024, 08:40 PM

We really enjoyed the O'Keefe museum and it didn't take too long to go through, perhaps an hour or so. It's been a few years and I can't remember where we stayed but I would book a refundable hotel ASAP and cancel if you find something more to your liking.