Santa Fe -Mostly Day Tripping

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks to all for all your responses to my various questions on Santa Fe.
Our flight was a bit early and we zipped out of the ABQ airport and decided to pass on any the recommendations received for places to eat dinner on the way to Santa Fe. We decided to go directly to SF and try and catch the end of the free musuem nights in SF. We did and enjoyed a nice hour in the Georgia OKeeffe musuem where we caught the last days of the exhibit Georgia O'Keeffe and Ansel Adams: Natural Affinities. While walking thru the gallery we were treatted to to lovely classical guitar that was playing in the patio. We had our first meal in SF at the communal table at Pasquals which continues to be one of our favoirte restaurants in SF. always enjoy sitting at he communal table and meeting other travellers and locals. The Fiestas de Santa Fe was in full swing and the plaza area was packed so we decided to head back to our room and call it a night.

Saturday morning we had breakfast at Tia Sophia's - good breakfast and huge portions. We headed out to the Flea market and spent a bit of time wandering around. I think many of the vendors were showing in town as it seemed to be only about half full. We visited Shidoni Gallery which is an eight acre sculpture garden, a bronze gallery, an art gallery-very interesting. There is also the Glenn Green Gallery right next door which is worth checking out.
Lunch that afternoon was at La Choza which we had been told was the "local" version of The Shed. Again, huge portions and good food and most importantly no lines. We stopped in at the Santa Fe Site which had an installation art exhibit, not my cup of tea. The farmer's market had just moved to its new location across from the Santa Fe Site, but we got there after it had closed. Dinner was great -- La Boca.

Got up early Sunday and had breakfast at Tesque market on our way to Bandolier National Monument. Once again, good food and huge protions! Bandolier was a nice small area to hike around. We had planned to do a couple hikes in the area, but between the heat of the afternoon and the altitiude, we decided to drive thru the Jimez Mountains instead. Beautiful drive and loved Jimez Springs with its natural, mineral hot springs. We managed to get an appt for soaks at the Bath House, but no massages were available. Loved the area and the little town. That night we went to the rooftop of Coyote Cafe and had appetizers which were good. Had a fabulous dessert, peach trifle, at the bar in the downstairs restaurant.

Monday we figured town would be quiet and decided to go to Pascuals for breakfast -- wonderful breakfast and for once a normal sized portion of food! Fortunately parts of Tent Rocks had reopened after being closed due to floods. Really loved Tent Rocks especially the slot canyon hike. We pretty much had the place to ourselves. Got back to SF in time for a late lunch at Tomasitos which was as usual -- huge portions and good food. My favorite meal was dinner that night at Gerominos.

My favorite dinner was followed by my favoirte day. Breakfast at the farmer's market and then we drove up to Abiqui and Ghost Ranch ---Fabulous! The whole area around Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch looks like an O�Keeffe painting � towering mesas & buttes, rocks w/ bands of different colors (red, yellow, white, black), shifting weather (racing clouds, passing rains), and a glorious clear light. Visiting the Georgia O�Keeffe house in Abiquiu is definitely worthwhile. House is fascinating place, very minimalist, a mixture of the primitive and the modern, almost like Southwestern Zen.

Our last evening we decided to skip a full dinner and instead went to
Los Mayos which proved to be an overpriced joint on Water Street other side of Guadalupe Street. Nice courtyard, tasty chips and salsa, so-so margaritas, but, given the prices, the only real reason to go is the chile en nogada. It has a version of this rarely-seen dish that is certainly the best I�ve ever had in the US, and fully equals or exceeds any I�ve had in Mexico. Absolutely heavenly. We ended the evening with a nod to our next trip -- we went to a milonga at El Meson on Washington St. Fun!

We left the next day and after another delicious breakfast at Pasqual's we leisurely made our way back to ABQ drifing the Turquoise Trail and wandering about Madrid.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the report. We go to SF ever year, but have never been to Bandelier. Looking forward to seeing the park it September. Jimez Springs, we'll have to check that out! annie
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM

What a great trip! You hit my favorite eating places. For us, nothing beats Tia Sophia's on a Saturday morning. Well, Tesuque Village Market is right up there, too.

Glad you enjoyed Abiquiu and Ghost Ranch. I stayed there for a week and was so enchanted with the scenery, too. Just gorgeous isn't it?

Thanks for posting.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM

Reading your report brings back memories of the spring break trip DH and I did this year.

DS told us this week that his fiancee will be stationed at Kirtland AFB in ABQ after they graduate in December. More trips to NM!
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

sweetannie, another spot in SF u might want to check out is the bell tower of the La Fonda Hotel -- great views of the sunset. Per the Park folks at Bandolier, the earlier u get there the better. It wasn't terribly crowded when we were there -- late am--but it looked like it waas getting substantially more crowded as we left. It was a Sunday though.

BeachGirl247 - I envy u spending a week in Abiquiu and ghost Ranch. Truly one of the most beautiful spots I've seen. Where did u stay?

SuzieTrue - always nice when our kids live in great places to visit!
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:58 AM

yes, I stayed at Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu which is owned by the Presbyterian Church. There are many seminars and workshops held there but anyone can stay there. Lodging is very simple but the surroundings more than make up for that and the camp-style food.

http://www.ghostranch.org/bed--break...h-abiquiu.html

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 10:58 AM

I'm planning on taking my husband to Santa Fe as a surprise for his 60th birthday in December. With an early arrival on Thursday, and a mid day departure on Sunday, do you think its enough time to explore since its unlikely we'll be hiking?
Old Oct 6th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

You should have plenty of time to explore the highlights of the town of Santa Fe. If you're interested in seeing the surrounding area, you would need to take at least a half day and check that out. I think a day and half in SF could be plenty. Really depends upon what you are interested in seeing.
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:28 AM
emd

Hi there. I have been to Santa Fe once before for 3 days last spring. I have a day and a half there this Sat. (from 3 pm on) and all day Sunday. When I was there last spring, I went to the museums up on the hill, hiked out by the Audobon Center, did some great shopping, and spent a lot of time in town and out on Canyon Rd.

This time I am staying in Santa Fe Sat. and Sun. night, but I am thinking of doing a day trip outside Santa Fe on Sunday.

Unfortunatley, the O'Keefe Home and Studio tour in Abiquiu is only available on Tues, Thurs, and Fri, so that is not an option. I understand her home at Ghost Ranch is not open to the public. Also, the O'Keefe Ghost ranch Landscape tour has stopped running for the year.

Is it worth it to just drive out to the Ghost Ranch area myself w/no organized tour available? I do love beautiful landscapes.

Is there a driving guide or walking guide to use if I go out there by myself? And is there something close by or on the way to/from there and Santa Fe that I can add on to visiting the landscape at Ghost Ranch?

Thanks very much.

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 06:29 AM
emd

btw, this is this coming weekend...
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:16 AM

emd, wave as we'll be there, too! Leaving this afternoon.

At Ghost Ranch you can get a trail map and take a short hike around to take in the scenery. If you are alone and don't want to hike, you can walk the dirt road towards Georgia O'Keefe's home (not sure if they'll let you through the gate to go down the road but ask at the front desk if you can go back in there to take photographs of the landscape).

If I had my Abiquiu pics on this laptop I'd post the pics so you could see just how beautiful it is.

As far as stops you could stop in Abiquiu at Bode's. Get a green chile burrito if you're hungry. This is the local grocery/tack store. Everything from horse feed to wine and where Georgia shopped for all of her goodies.

Weather looks to be very good for Santa Fe. Have fun!

Old Nov 19th, 2008, 07:44 AM
emd

THANKS, Beachgirl! I called Ghost Ranch in Abiquiu and they said I can hike up Chimney Rock mesa and get a good view of her house and the landscape from there. They do not let anyone into the gate/area aroudn her house though. I just missed the last tours- last weekend was the end of the season.

Tahnsk for the hints on where to stop- sounds enchanting!
Old Nov 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
emd

One more thing--

I am looking at maps, etc., and it looks like there are soem other places to perhaps stop en route to or from Ghost Ranch.

There are numerous Pueblos on the way either on or just off of Hwy 84/285. The ones I see are Pojoaque, Nambe, Ohkay Owinyeh (formerly San Juan), Tesque, and Santa Clara Pueblos.

Has anyone stopped at any of those? Is it worth it to try adn buy some pottery or other goods at the Pueblos?

Also, Ojo Caliente is not far off the path. Anyone have an opinion on stopping for the mineral baths there?