SANTA CRUZ EXPERTS....Your opinion needed!

Old May 13th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SANTA CRUZ EXPERTS....Your opinion needed!

Due to an itinerery clash, we are going to be in Santa Cruz a day earlier than we originally expected, now arriving on the 2nd of July, and was thinking of doing the Roaring Camp Railroad trip.

Is this just a tourist trap or is it a worthwhile excursion? There is a special moonlight trip on the saturday and I thought it might be a nice way to see the Redwood Forrests.

For thoose of you that haven't follwed my other posts, we are a family of 4 with 2 boys aged 8 and 11.
Old May 14th, 2010, 09:55 AM

Roaring Camp is cute. Definitely not a tourist trap, more of a train obsessed family trap (i.e. more localish people there than true tourists). Henry Cowell Redwood SP is right next door and they have a nice little loop trail by the visitor's center too. That's one my favorite places to camp--out in the wilderness but only 15 minutes from Safeway!
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Totally agree. I'd do it . . .
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:20 AM

We did the one from the beach - depends on how much your kids like trains. They may get angry at you for taking them away from the Boardwalk rides
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Roaring Camps is totally fun. You won't regret it. Be prepared for the temps to drop after sunset, especially in the Redwoods.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:50 AM

I cant remember how big your boys are.. mine were 5, 8 and 10 when we did that last summer. They LOVED it! There are large ponds with ducks to feed and watch, a cute "old time" mercantile in which to purchase train whistles and stick candy. The trees smell so beautiful, they are breathtakingly large and the stories of how they moved that lumber years ago is facinating. They do end up learning quite a bit about the redwoods...

Had we had more time we would have done the tree ride one day and the morning ride to the beach the next day.

Good choice! I'm happy to answer specific queswtions if you have them.
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys.

It looks like we will do it based on your recommendations.

There is a trip that leaves from the Boardwalk in the evening but it sounds like a round trip without much of a stopover at the other side. Do you think that we may be better off going during the day?
Old May 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM

I would go to Roaring Camp during the day - I think the train ride in the redwoods up at the camp and the camp itself is more fun.
Old May 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hazel.
Does that mean that you would recommend driving out to the camp rather than taking the train from the boardwalk?

The Beach Train only seems to stop over at the camp for an hour. From your feedback, this is unlikely to be enough time there.
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:13 PM

Shanek, you dont want to just "go to the camp." You want to take the train tour from the camp that takes you through the groves of redwood trees. Once at the camp, you can also take the train tour that takes you to the beach and you can stay for the day if you time it that way. The stunningly beautiful part of all of it is the trees.

Are you already staying at the beach? If so, you want to drive to the camp, do the tour of the trees and drive back to wherever you are. Does that help? You would need at least 45 minutes to an hour and a half for the tour through the trees and maybe an hour to see the things at the camp... less if you arent eating there.
Old May 15th, 2010, 06:35 PM

I agree. Drive up to Roaring Camp and take the train that does the loop through the redwoods rather than the beach train.

And definitely go to Henry Cowell state park while you are there - it is literally right next door, as in you can walk right over from Roaring Camp.
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

That helps alot. As we are staying at the beach, we will do as you say. I presume as it is a holiday weekend that pre-booking for the train trip would be advisable?
Old May 16th, 2010, 10:53 AM

Are you planning on going to Ano Nuevo State Reserve & Pigeon Point Lighthouse? These are both north of Santa Cruz, about 45 minutes up Highway 1. If you haven't planned to see the elephant seals of Ano Nuevo, you should go. They are amazing & this is one of the few places in the world where you can view them up close (but not too!). Your children will love seeing them. I have taken numerous girl scout & elementary school groups there & they have been absolutely fascinated.