Search

Santa Barbara

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Santa Barbara

I think we may spend a few days in Santa Barbara for a few days before visiting San Diego. Any recommendations on wineries ot things we should not miss. Thanks,
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 12:02 PM

The actual wineries are in the Santa Ynez Valley about a 40-45 minute drive away. I like the Mission, it is a real beauty and it is always fun to drive out onto Stearns Wharf and have a nice seafood lunch.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

I think we went to the mission years ago but worth another visit.
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 03:07 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have any interest in unusual gardens there's a spectacular one in Montecito, Lotusland, very near Santa Barbara on the other side of highway 1/101. And it's quite a story, too, with photos on the website to help you decide if it appeals. If so, reservations are required. https://www.lotusland.org/
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 04:55 PM

If you cannot get up to Santa Ynez to visit wineries, there is a lot of good tasting in Santa Barbara itself if you follow the Urban Wine Trail tasting rooms.

https://urbanwinetrailsb.com/
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 06:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Gainey has nice wines.
https://gaineyvineyard.com/our-story

This looks like fun:
Jeep Tour & Tasting Experience
Try the most unique tasting experience in the Santa Ynez Valley. This one-of-a-kind adventure allows you to enjoy a Cloud Climber Jeep ride through our vineyards to our 100-year old barn located on our ranch. Once there, you'll enjoy a wine tasting flight in the shade of the barn while taking in the beauty of the surrounding live oaks, creek, and vineyards.
Available: Saturdays Only
Times: 11am-3pm
Cost: $25 per person
DETAILS:
  • limited number of spots available
  • weather conditions permitting, rain cancels
  • first come, first serve
  • check-in at the tasting room

Last edited by MoBro; Aug 3rd, 2019 at 06:56 PM.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

I love gardens and had already checked out Lotusland but unfortunately it will be closed for the season by then and we are not there for the jeep tour on a Saturday. But I saw where there is a biking wine tour which sounds interesting. HOpe the weather works for us.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Other missions nearby include Santa Ines (Ynez) and La Purissima.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 05:12 PM

If you are driving all the way to San Diego, don't drive back up to Santa Ynez for wine, head over the the wineries near the Presidio listed in the link above! You won't find better than Au Bon Climat and Happy Canyon! Walk around downtown to enjoy the Presidio are ( notice I didn't suggest walking down State Street), walk around the beautiful historic courthouse and go up to the clock tower for stunning views of the city! Have a delicious lunch or dinner with a spectacular view at the BIltmore/Four Seasons in Montecito and take a walk at Butterfly Beach. The Botanic Garden is also a gem. So much to do here, enjoy every moment!
Old Aug 5th, 2019, 06:17 PM

We enjoy the Botanical Gardens, the Moxi museum (a real fun and interactive museum), walking through Alice Keck Park. Down by the wharf is the Funk Zone, with lots of wineries, restaurants, and shops. Favorite restaurants include Olio et Limone, Olio Pizzaria, Corazon Cocina in the SB Public Market (they just opened a restaurant in the Funk Zone), Jane, Opal...there are SO many fabulous places to eat in SB! Have fun.