Sanibel Island in November

Old Jun 12th, 1998, 06:28 PM
Wendy

Sanibel Island in November

Our family , two adults and two children ages 5 and 10, is planning a 5 day trip to Sanibel Island in November. Any tips, favorite places to stay or eat? We will be flying from St. Louis then driving to the island. What is the most convenient airport to fly into? Any info. is appreciated.

Old Jun 13th, 1998, 03:05 AM
Cheryl

Hi Wendy!

Sanibel is a wonderful (not to mention, beautiful)
place. Fort Meyers airport is the closest. My
family has been going to Sanibel for the past four
years and we love it. We stay at the Sanibel Harbour Resort (it's not right on the island; it's
in a private area not too far from the bridge to
Sanibel), which is a great place. However, I think
staying directly on the island is your best bet,
especially with kids. We've had fantastic seafood
at every restaurant we've eaten in - it's hard to pick a favorite place. Last, but not least, you're children will love to hunt for seashells. Check at your hotel or in a local newspaper for the tide times; sea shelling is best when the tide comes in. If you go to the beach (on the left side of the bridge to Captiva), you'll find huge seashells when the tide comes in. The current can be stong, though, so stay close to your little one. HAVE A GREAT TIME!

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 09:23 AM
Patricia

Hi Wendy,

I live across the river from St. Louis in a little town in Illinois. We are interested in vacationing in Sanibel also. I sure would like to hear about your trip when you return. Especially places to stay.
If you search the net for "sanibel" you can sign up at the chamber of commerce site and you will be deluged with information in your mailbox.
Have a good time!

Old Jun 25th, 1998, 04:24 PM
kam

Always took our kids to Sanibel when they were little---great family place. All restaurants are very informal and lots of fun and good seafood. My favorite was Tim"s Nook on Captiva. There are lots and lots of condos to rent---2-3 bedrooms some right on the beach. Search for a realtor in the area, rent bikes, and definitely go shelling.

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 02:00 PM
Rosie

Now this is one of my favorite subjects. My husband and I have a timeshare on Sanibel Island - we've been going there for 10 years and each year it is our most anticipated vacation. We just love it there! We eat at Timbers Restaurant, Jacaranda, each year and the Hungry Heron is a great family restaurant for the kids. If you can manage to stay in an efficiency definitely do one on the beach - the extra cost is worth it- there are grocery stores on the island for breakfast and lunch supplies then treat yourself to a nice dinner. You'll save a ton of money in the long run. Besides you'll want to spend all day on the beach. Enjoy "my" little island.

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 02:45 PM
mars

Don't expect to find any shells! I was really looking forward to going on a shell search in March of this year and much to my dismay there was NOT one shell! I was duped by the Chamber of Commerce. The Island is also is much to crowded...one way in and one way out....November may not be too bad. Obviously, it is not my favorite....too discovered and touristy for me!

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 06:31 PM
Lisa S.

Last year my family went to Sanibel the last week in October and found it beautiful, warm and with plenty of shells to find. We stayed at the Pelican Roost condos in a two-bedroom ocean-front unit for under $800 for the week. My son, then not quite two, had a wonderful time on the beach. The water is warm and calm most days and he loved finding shells, crabs, seaweed, etc. There also was a nice pool at the Pelican and we found the entire island to be quiet and wonderful. Email me directly if you have any other questions. And have a great time!

Old Jul 6th, 1998, 07:06 AM
sharon

November is definitely the best time to come here. The air has dried out, the gulf is still warm, the onslaught of snowbirds has not yet arrived but everything is ready for THE SEASON. I live on Charlotte Harbor and can tell you that Sanibel is not touristy compared to other places in Florida. They work hard at keeping the ambiance in the face of so many visitors. To the person who blames the Chamber for the lack of shells, you obviously didn't learn anything while you were here. Shelling depends on a number of things. The wave action of the Gulf, tide cycles, was there red tide during the past few months, time of year. Best time is after a hellacious storm when the sea churns up all sorts of shells. The shelling has declined in the past few years. The beach renourishment projects (reclaiming sand from out in the gulf) and a general decline in the water quality of the gulf has lessened the numbers but I still find lots when I go and you are better off at the beaches near passes. The water is dangerous for swimming but the currents created make for good shelling. My restaurant picks are: Mucky Duck, The Bubble Room (for kids), Mangia e Bevi (without kids), The Mad Hatter (top rung nouvelle American).

Crab races at the Crows Nest at Tween Waters in Captiva are fun for everyone. It's a bar, but this is a family resort area so kids abound. Go to the shell museum before you start hunting for shells so you will know and you might want to take a shelling cruise.

Old Aug 8th, 1998, 11:12 PM
Melinda

Sanibel will be fun. Hungry Heron is the place to eat with kids and the Bubble Room on Captiva is a must stop with the kids for lunch. So much to see in that restaurant and they will love it. Catch Mc T's for the early bird and be surprised at the value.

Under the bridge from Sanibel to Captiva is a great place to look for shells and see egrets and manarays. Park on the Captiva side of the bridge.

I grew up in Florida and this in the one place that reminds me of how Florida use to be.

Need any specifics let me know. I was there in July for a quick visit from Seattle.

Old Aug 9th, 1998, 03:02 PM
Wendy

Thanks so much for the information! I think we are going to get reservations at the Sundial resort in a two bedroom condo-type unit. They have a very good price for a family 3 night special which I will try to extend. The resort also seems to offer lots of activities for the kids. We will be sure to try out the restaurants and activities you all suggested. Thanks again.
Patricia: I'll let you know how our trip goes when we get back.

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 09:50 AM
Abbie

Which airport is closer to Sanibel -- Tampa or Ft. Lauderdale?

Also has anyone ever stayed at any of the Sundial resorts? Thanks!

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 12:23 PM
Joanne

Timmy's Nook is no longer!!It's called the Green Flash(brand new building) and a little upscale for kids. You can rent bikes everywhere and you'll see lots of roller bladers. The Mucky Duck on Captiva is fun and you can sit outside with the kids until you're called. The Mad Hatter food is wonderful but pricey with children. The north end of Sanibel is less crowded.

Old Aug 11th, 1998, 05:04 PM
tmg

Thanksgiving, 1962 I rode my Vespa to Sanibel from Winter Park. I took the ferry, a military beach lander, to the island. Camped out for a night, all the restaurants (2) closed for the holidays and the ferry took a day off. I ate cocoa nuts that I broke open with a screwdriver. Zillions of shells on the beach. The weather was great. Haven't been back since. Seems to have changed a bit. I would enjoy a return trip.