Reload this Page >

Sanibel Island, FL--Snorkeling?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Lynn

I've done a search on this site but haven't found an answer to my question: Is the Sanibel/Captiva Island area any good for snorkeling? My husband likes to SCUBA dive as well--would he be able to do that there? We're planning to be there in early to mid-April. Thanks for any help that anyone can offer!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Carmella

I usually go to Naples a couple of times a year and usually make a day trip to Sanibel. I have never heard of any snorkeling there. Even if there was any, I couldn't imagine it being that good.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:58 AM
CF

WE tried it and it was not a good experience. The water was murky and there was nothing there to see.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 01:32 PM
jersey

The water is rather stirred up due to the current that goes around bothe sides of the island. Captiva is the island north of Sanibel. The water is definitely clearer ther and a turquise color. There was alot os fish swimming in the tides. Sanibel is known for it's many different types of seashells. I'm not too sure about the diving/snorkeling in Captiva. But, I know there are alot of fish and sportsman love it for that reason.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 01:45 PM
joan

Lynn, instead you might want to rent a canoe or kayak and tour the Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge. We enjoyed it!

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Patrick

No Scuba or snorkeling anywhere near the coast. When I took my Scuba class in Naples it was in a swimming pool. We had to go to the Keys to do the actual dives.

Old Mar 26th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you go on a charter to Cayo Costa on the gulfside there is a great snorkeling spot when the conditions are good there is clear water and lots to see.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if after 8 years, the OP is STILL looking for that snorkeling. LOL

I'm curious what was meant by "when the conditions are good" -- I'm still unaware of when the water would be clear enough and when there would be much of anything to see around Cayo Costa.