COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

SanFrancisco to Monterey - Best Route

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 10:38 AM
vicki

SanFrancisco to Monterey - Best Route

Plan to drive from SanFranciso to Monterey - any suggestions on the best route?

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 10:42 AM
Katie

Just get on the Pacific Coast Highway going south...

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 11:32 AM
cp

Vicki-
Is the best route the most scenic, the most expedient, or the most likely not to be crawling with produce trucks?

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 12:51 PM
Paul Rabe

If scenic is your main consideration, Hiway 1 (Pacific Coast Hiway) cannot be beat. If speed, take I-280 south to 101, then south on 101 to State Hiway 156, then 156 into Monterey.

MY recommendation for a good compromise? Take 280 south to State Hiway 17, then head south towards Santa Cruz. Backtrack slightly to Henry Cowell Redwoods (not nearly as good as the ones north of SF, but not bad). Then go into Santa Cruz and continue south on Hiway 1 into Monterey.

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 03:39 PM
kam

Our car does this by itself--I have a very dear friend who lives in Carmel. Always do 280 to 101 at San Jose and 101 south to the "Monterey Peninsula" exit(156 west). That will take you across the artichoke fields and into Monterey. I personally dislike Rt.17, but it is the shortest distance. In that case, take 280 to 85 south to Hwy 17 west and then 1 down the coast. Problem here is that 17 is windy and often there are accidents as the trucks try to drive it too fast. This way takes you through Santa Cruz, which is a funny little beach city, if you've never been there. I certainly wouldn't take Rt. 1 south from SF. From SF to Santa Cruz there's very little to see, just flat, and sometimes foggy 2 lane road with the possibility of traffic. Enjoy.

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 03:44 PM
cp

Speed monster that I am, I always go the 101 to 156 route.
In June this route has the extra advantage of roadside Cherry stands.

Mmmm... Cherries....