COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

New England Wedding Suggestions

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 04:38 AM
Carol Tipton

New England Wedding Suggestions

My fiance and I are planning a quiet wedding for two in the New England area this fall. We are looking for a place to get married that will offer beautiful scenery (mountains, water, etc.). Any suggestions?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 07:26 AM
Emily Connolly

Castle Hill Inn in Newport, RI should be a top contender on your list. It's right on the ocean - fantastic views and a gorgeous place. It was featured in the show Providence as the site for Joanie's second wedding. Good luck!!

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 03:38 PM
betsy

The Mount Washington Hotel in Bretton Woods, NH is a great place. It is situated at the bottom of Mt. Washington and has great views of the White Mountians.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 03:46 PM
Rob

Try Burlington, VT. nestled between the mountains and Lake Champlain. Not sure if they have wedding reception services, but Shelburne Farms would be an unforgetable location. Congratulations in advance.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 05:23 PM
Donna

All of the above suggestions are wonderful. I'd like to add for your consideration the Cliff House atop Mount Mansfield (the highest peak in Vermont) near Stowe. There's a wonderful "gondola" for getting up and down the mountain. Last time we were there, a bride and groom were just leaving the reception and headed down the mountain. This was too awesome. The entire town of Stowe is just beautiful. For a unique honeymoon (although it may be booked for fall by now), check out Zack's on the Rocks in Montgomery Center. A cottage for two (with two fireplaces) with a deck hanging over the mountains. Incredible views. Full kitchen, living room and bedroom. You won't want to leave, but then you'd miss the even more unique experience of Zack's restaurant.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 09:08 PM
Tara

If you love utterly charming, check out Nestlenook Farm (Victorian splendor) in Jackson, NH. You'd want to make reservations forthwith, however. They have a website. Another charming inn is the Bedford Village Inn in Bedford, NH. For the ultimate in romance, however, my recommendation would be the Rabbit Hill Inn in Lower Waterford, VT. However, if you'd prefer to be on the coast, the Cliff House in Ogunquit is awesome. Note that in NH, no witnesses are required.

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 07:53 AM
Carol T

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Boy do I have my work cut out for me. But what fun planning! If anyone has anything else, please suggest on ...

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 09:21 AM
Rick

Carol,
I havent heard anyone suggest Litchfield , Connecticut yet. It is really beautiful in the fall with all of the foliage. I know you could get info from any travel agent. There are great inns and B&B's in that area, some wineries; the town itself is the kind of place that takes you back a bit, really pretty. My wife and I almost had our wedding at this place called White Memorial but changed our mind for reasons of convenience, not for lack of the area. Good luck.

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 09:44 AM
Janie

We have friends who were married two weeks ago at The Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. It was gorgeous in every way, the setting, the service, the weather--and romantic too. It's just south of Portland. Congratulations!

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 06:11 PM
Liza

Be advised that FALL in New England is THE most popular time to visit. The advice to book fortwith would be well taken. While you might find planning great fun, there's nothing more discouraging than to peruse one's options only to find that you can't get in...