COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

San Francisco Restaurants, Too

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 09:00 AM
MK

San Francisco Restaurants, Too

My husband and I will be in SF in June. Would like to know your opinions on some really good restaurants. Those with moderate prices and really good food would be appreciated; although we wouldn't mind splurging one night if the food was that great. Also, we will be there 3 nights and would like to visit different areas each night or for lunch. Thanks.

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 10:15 AM
cp

You haven't mentioned your tastes or a more specific price range or where you are staying.
What is moderate here, my in-laws from Ohio consider criminally expensive.
That said, some of SF's best food is ethnic. We have fantastic Sushi, Italian and Chinese food.
I like a Chinese brunch of Dim Sum at Harbor Village in Embarcadero 2, dinner at Delancey Street on Embarcadero towards the Bay Bridge, cocktails (but not food) in the Carnelian Room in the BofA bldg., and Sushi at Ebisu out in the Inner Sunset district. North Beach has lots of Italian (avoid Basta Pasta).

You can also search for restaurants on this page:
www.sallys-place.com

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 10:15 AM
cp

You haven't mentioned your tastes or a more specific price range or where you are staying.
What is moderate here, my in-laws from Ohio consider criminally expensive.
That said, some of SF's best food is ethnic. We have fantastic Sushi, Italian and Chinese food.
I like a Chinese brunch of Dim Sum at Harbor Village in Embarcadero 2, dinner at Delancey Street on Embarcadero towards the Bay Bridge, cocktails (but not food) in the Carnelian Room in the BofA bldg., and Sushi at Ebisu out in the Inner Sunset district. North Beach has lots of Italian (avoid Basta Pasta).

You can also search for restaurants on this page:
www.sallys-place.com

Old Jun 1st, 1999, 01:27 PM
cherie

I like McCormick & Kuletos at Ghiradelli Square, Kuletos (Powell St.) for Italian, Gabbianos, Boulevard (at the end of Market), Tadiches (Embarcadero adjacent), and Kans in Chinatown. Circolo used to be nice but I haven't been lately; Many people are talking about "Aqua"....anyone have a report?

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 04:47 PM
stosh

As has already been mentioned , the question is how do YOU define "moderate"? A very helpful web site is www.sfgate.com/food. This is the site for the SF Chronicle and the Examiner. There is a section that will give you mini-reviews of the top 100 Rests. in the bay area and their price ranges. There is also a section on bargin restaurants but this has not been updated for a bit and prices on the menu will most likely appear bigger than those on your screen. Still very useful. For a splurge I would highly recommend Farallon both for its fantastic seafood and its stunning decour. Depending on your definition of "splurge" you might want to do this for lunch. But definitely at least peek in to see what they have done here. If you are a Sinatra fan you could combine this meal with catching the Sinatra tribute down the street at the Theater on the Square.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 01:32 PM
cherie

I don't want to step on anyones toes but Farallon might be pricey. I asked for their menu so I could plan a dinner mtg. for a professional society and found that they couldn't do anything under $70.00 per guest. I'm going to go on my own for a special occasion sometime. How abut Anjou (Campton Pl) for French of New Delhi (Ellis St) for some killer Rogan Josh? Or Tadich (Embarcadero Adjacent) or Schroeders (lunch) or Kuletos (Powell St) for wonderful Italian.... Its a town with great restaurants. Crazy Horse looked interesting and there is a new pub down the street....or Boulevard (Market St)....I could go on & on....Have fun.

Old Jun 4th, 1999, 12:40 PM
Spanky

My son recently moved from SF to NYC and my husband and I had occasion to visit him several times while he was in CA. Rose Pistola would be a great moderate restaurant. Acqua is excellent as well as Farallon, but both are on the very expensive side. Lulu's is cool and trendy and located in the SOMA area of SF -- open pit cooking. I love Le Jardin -- it's my absolute favorite, albeit very pricey.

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 12:46 AM
MALK

Check out these restaurants in SF for excellent dining:
Hawthorne Lane
22 Hawthorne Street
Tel. 415-777 9779
Comment: Romantic, in my view one of SF's best, but expensive!
Boulevard
Corner of Steuart & Mission Streets
Tel. 415 543 6084
Comment: Hustle & Bustle, though the food is excellent and the building itself, if my history is correct, is one of the only surviving buildings from the earthquake & fire long ago!
Il Fornaio
1265 Battery Street
Tel. 415 986 0100
Comment: Great for breakfasts or brunches, wonderful setting & outdoor dining near the Levi Strauss Square. Also could be nice for dinner.
Ruth's Chris Steak House
Corner of Van Ness & California Streets
Tel. 415 673 055
Comment: I love steaks, and these people do it best, though avoid ordering too many starters as the main course should be hefty!
Enjoy!