Sandy Hook, NJ daytrip Report

Apr 16th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Sandy Hook, NJ daytrip Report

We planned a great weekend in Connecticut, but Sunday was suppose to start a big storm, and being almost nine months pregnant and with a two year old, we decided not to chance it. We stayed home working on the kids’ room, taking care of odd home improvement projects etc.

However, we did decide to take a ride to Sandy Hook lighthouse (who knows, if the storm is as big as they say it might not be there soon).

The ride over was nice, we’ve been in area before going to the Navesink Lighthouse, even though the signs are almost non-existent. We did mention this to the volunteers who work at the lighthouse, and they are well aware of the problem (the signs have to be put up by the state of NJ).

The lighthouse is in the edge of what seems to be a militarized zone; bunkers, monuments to missile testing etc. are on the way. . If the children would have been a bit older we would have stopped at all the free tours offered.
But they’re not…
So we didn’t….

The road (Ocean Dr.) is very scenic and takes you through the Sandy Hook beaches, with the ocean on your left. There are no signs to direct you so just keep going until you see one (keep left) when you’re almost there, we turned around to ask a park ranger because we thought we were lost. We finally got to the lighthouse; in a small town that looks like it has been a barracks at one point (which it was). The lighthouse is well maintained, there is a wonderful small museum and multimedia presentations in the lighthouse keeper’s home. A tour of the lighthouse (walk up) is offered, but the climb is a bit difficult and you have to be 48” tall (I believe) in order to go.

Ed, a volunteer at the lighthouse we talked to gave us a great tip, go on the road around the lighthouse to a “T”, make a left, and then make a right at the first stop sign. Drive until you get to a gravel road and walk a few hundred yards in a path (all sand). There is a scenic overlook on top of a building which looks over all of Sandy Hook as well as NY harbor.

We followed the directions exactly. At the second stop sign a brow fox crossed our path … a fox, who knew?
He crossed the road into the woods, then just stood there and stared at us for about five seconds. We ceased the opportunity, took out the camera aimed and … ran out of batteries … arrrggghhh!!!!!!

There is a parking lot at the edge of the road, and we saw people walk around (there is a cerement structure around there), we walked a few hundred yards as Ed said and went to the overlook. It is beautiful (mostly used by birdwatchers), and well worth the short drive and walk. We found out that we were lucky to see the fox in daylight, but there are foxes in the area and have their layer on the beach.

Afterwards we went for lunch, last time we went to Bahr’s which was excellent, but we decided to try another restaurant. We stopped at “Something Fishy” restaurant and fish market at Sea Bright. The restaurant is under construction so we sat at the bar (we were the only one’s there, with another couple who left after half and hour or so), the staff is very friendly, the food was OK but expensive ($75 for two appetizers, two entrees, kids meal and a beer). Our daughter loved the brightly colored fish décor, and the “Finding Nemo” coloring page.

Pictures at:
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...6960/tpod.html
Apr 16th, 2007, 11:43 AM
J62

Thanks for the report - glad you decided to play it safe.

Regarding Sandy Hook, the military area there is an old battery from WWII to protect NY harbor. Deep underground bunkers, ammo storage rooms etc. Many years ago you used to be able to freely roam and explore the depths but I'm sure they are off limits now.

I like lighthouses, and make the kids visit them everywhere we go (ugh, another lighthouse). But hey, my parents did the same to it's the least I can do to pass on the genes.

Apr 16th, 2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the tip we are going take our grandson on day trip there if the weather ever clears up. Don't think he'll be tall enough for walk up so we 'll take the path.
Apr 22nd, 2007, 10:37 AM

There is a beautifully maintained bike path which runs the length of the peninsula. We use it about once a week in summer, but don't go if there is a headwind. Traveling out to the tip you just fly, but coming back, wow! What a struggle. If it is a normal breezy day you will be fine.

You can go for free all year if you enter the park on your bike, but you can also drive to Sandy Hook with your bike and park, and that is also free to all after 5PM during the summer season.

Baz
Apr 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM

Baz, thanks for the great tip about the bike path! I live in Orlando but frequently visit a friend in Highlands. Now I know where to ride my bike!

Search this Thread