San Pedro to Venice Beach??

Dec 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

San Pedro to Venice Beach??

My daughter and I have 2 days pre-cruise, and she wants to go see Venice Beach. As we are leaving on a cruise, I was thinking we would stay in San Pedro. I don't want to drive, so we won't be renting a car. Is it feasible to get from San Pedro to Venice Beach on some type of tour or public transit?
Dec 13th, 2008, 07:31 PM

No not really. There would not be a convenient public transit option, you would have to transfer a number of times. Any taxi or shuttle would be fairly expensive, it will take about an hour each way with normal traffic.

If this is a big priority, you could stay closer to Venice and LAX, such as in Marina del Rey or Santa Monica in which case you can take public transit. You could then get a shuttle to the port for the cruise.

Dec 13th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Rent a car just for the day, and do a circular trip from San Pedro up the 405 freeway, get off on Venice Blvd and head for Venice. When you've seen it, follow the coast road down via Manhattan Beach and Redondo and go around the peninsula back to San Pedro.

Look at a map, it is easy, and there are many chances to stop, each of the beach towns has a pier with fish restaurants, from the peninsula you have great views - it will be a very good day.

Driving in LA is easy, it is a city built for cars after all - wide freeways, generous signage, always showing the next three exits in advance - it would be a shame to remain stuck in San Pedro, there is nothing happening down there.

On the other of your two days you could take the boat out to Catalina Island since they leave from just about where you will be already - look it up, it is quite special.
Dec 13th, 2008, 09:36 PM

That's the first time I think I've ever heard anyone say that driving in LA is easy. And I live here.

Venice does not have wide streets (other than congested Lincoln Blvd). Most are one-way, narrow, and the circulation is interrupted by various canals and waterways. If you're nervous about driving Venice is perhaps one of the worst places to try it. Not quite as bad as some of the one-land roads in the Hollywood HIlls, but not far off.

The attraction at Venice is not really the beach, but the collection of loonies.
Dec 14th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I'm nervous about driving in LA, so I don't think I will be renting a car. Catalina Island sounds like a good suggestion. Any other suggestions for things to do that we can get to by transit, or a quick cab ride, from San Pedro. What about Long Beach? Mlgb, that's why my daughter was interested in Venice
beach - to people watch.
Dec 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM

I think "easy" is comparative to taking public transportation.
Dec 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM

There are places to stay where getting around by public transit is easy, but San Pedro to Venice wouldn't fit in that category. The geography just doesn't allow for a direct connection (too much ocean).

There actually are quite a few things to see in San Pedro, if any interest you. The San Pedro Chamber of Commerce has a good website, http://www.sanpedro.com/.
Click on "Visit San Pedro".

You might find a small collection of loonies on Sixth Street and Seventh Street in downtown "Peedro" as the locals call it. There is a nice pub "Whale and Ale" on 7th, and a local coffee shop with some local flavor (Sacred Grounds on 6th). There are some nicer restaurants as well, especially Neil's (on 5th Street). Then there is the legendary Papadakis Taverna (more for the entertainment than the food, and a little overpriced). Also, outside of downtown are Raffaello Ristorante (Pacific) or The Gaffey Street Diner (featured on the Food Network), or Antes (Croatian).

If the red trolley is running (I think it's free) you can just ride it around San Pedro and get an overview of the waterfront. It stops at the little aquarium at Cabrillo Beach (not much of a beach!) that is pretty good and admission is by donation.

Overview with a map:
http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/redcar.htm

Also you could go to some of the lookouts such as Pt. Fermin.

In Long Beach downtown is pretty scruffy, so if you stayed there instead, you would see some homeless people, perhaps less interesting than Venice.
You can take the red Passport bus to Belmont Shore which is a smallish pedestrian street with some sidewalk tables so that would be a good spot to either walk or eat and people watch.

When I have out of town visitors, as often as not I'll take them over to Peedro and the PV Peninsula. Even though we used to live in Santa Monica and Ocean Park, it's just too much hassle to drive up there. I only go west of Western to go to the airport!
Dec 14th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Gee, why would you be scared of a few narrow streets in Venice itself, when the freeways and the major through-streets to get you there are wide and generous? Would you rather not rent a car and be stuck in San Pedro?

Don't let the rumors get to you, millions have rented cars and driven all over LA before and survived, even had a good time. That includes people who drive on the other side of the road where they come from...

It's the only way to make the most of your time. You're on vacation, what do you care if you have to go around the block three times before you find a parking spot - what's the rush?

There are so many wrong impressions being bandied about regarding LA, even by people who live there, (which I did for a long time - now I just visit frequently), it's a shame when it results in visitors not making the most of their time. It's a bit like those in New York who tell visitors not to take the subway - a myth that hurts and hinders. But there you have it...

If you really can't bring yourself to drive, take the bus to a Metro Rail station and go somewhere fun - look it up at
http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/im...ctive_map.html

Dec 15th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Can anybody tell me what shuttle we would be able to catch from a Santa Monica/Marina Del Ray hotel to San Pedro the day of the cruise. And any idea of the cost? Or the cost for a taxi?
I'm assuming we can catch a shuttle from LAX to the hotel, but not sure about the hotel to San Pedro.
Thanks
Dec 15th, 2008, 10:37 AM
lvk

Check www.supershuttle.com or www.primetimeshuttle.com. They should be able to give you a quote.

Tour companies that offer a variety of itineraries, some with a stop in Venice Beach.: www.viptoursandcharters.com and www.starlinetours.com

Dec 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
lvk

Also, here is a previous post on this subject, which might have some info you can use:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35161870
Dec 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM

Dalai Lama, I suspected that you hadn't lived here for a while. The traffic situation on the west side of LA has deteriorated quite dramatically in the last 5 or so years. The LA Times has written a number of articles about Westsiders who feel trapped (poor babies) because it is just so difficult to get in and out.

So which major uncongested thoroughfares get you to Venice? Just curious. You can get to the Marina or Santa Monica, but after that you are at the mercy of surface traffic on Lincoln Blvd.

Oh, BTW I used to go to frequent evening meetings in Venice from my job in Downtown LA. We had to allow AT LEAST 1.5 hours in the afternoon.

Please don't soft pedal the issue. If someone has just a few days to spend, they are not going to enjoy creeping along surface streets. It's better to pick a hotel near the sights that you want to see.

Dec 15th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Twice in the last year and a half I have made this particular trip and traffic has been horrendous both times -- once on a Saturday early evening in October and once on a Saturday mid-afternoon in June. We are familiar with LA and were able to re-route ourselves, but it was NO FUN!! If you don't know where you're going, it can be horrible.
Dec 15th, 2008, 12:08 PM

mlgb - are you telling them not to do this? Period? Instead of being stuck in San Pedro?

They have all day, they are on vacation, if they hit a spot of congestion, so what? The 110 North to the 405 North to well-signed and very wide Venice Blvd West is doable after breakfast, maybe slow in places, but that is not what they are worried about, they are "nervous" (their word) about driving in LA and I'm telling them there is not much to be nervous about.

The girl wants to see Venice beach - don't stop her, they can do it, no reason why not, but they need to drive, that's all there is to it.

I come to LA every few weeks and I drive all over - it's difficult at times, a breeze at others, what else is new? But when you're not in a rush, what does it matter?
Dec 15th, 2008, 01:06 PM

But when you're not in a rush, what does it matter?

Being stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic in Los Angeles does matter to me, whether or not I'm in a rush. I'd just rather spend my time almost anywhere other than on a ridiculous crowded freeway. It isn't hard to drive, just mentally taxing. As long as the OP understands she might hit terrible traffic, then it of course should be up to her.
Dec 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM

I suggested (above) that if Venice was a priority, that they should stay in Marina del Rey or Santa Monica, which means they can take a short taxi ride or public transit.

They asked what there was to do nearby, which I thought meant what is there to do around San Pedro, as an alternative.

Driving from San Pedro to Venice and back would be akin to driving in Rome or Paris. And not necessarily fun or a pleasant way to spend a vacation.
Dec 16th, 2008, 07:10 PM

I live about halfway between San Pedro and Venice and would not advise someone who's reluctant to drive in L.A. to make this particular drive. Venice has some interesting shops and the mentioned "wildlife," but the drive is almost 30 miles one way, involves three freeways and a difficult parking situation in Venice depending on the day of the week and time of day.

I like the alternative recommendations, especially San Pedro, Belmont Shore and Catalina.
Dec 17th, 2008, 07:57 AM
lvk

I live just north of San Pedro, and would not consider the drive to Venice an easy or pleasant one. If a poster indicates that they do not want to rent a car, I don't get why others can't just accept that fact, and give the poster suggestions that work within his/her parameters.

TillThen, I think the time of year you are coming makes a big difference. For example, I wouldn't recommend Catalina Island during the winter or early Spring.

Also, I took my son (13) to Venice Beach a few weeks ago on a Sunday afternoon and it was pretty dead.(He had a soccer game in Santa Monica, so we were in the area.) I don't think it is as busy with the usual characters in the cool weather months as it is in warm weather months, nor would it be mid-week as opposed to the weekend.

The newest thing in Venice, (and in Hollywood) are these wannabe rap artists that try to hand you their CD and headphones to a portable CD player, so you can listen to their "artistry". They are "giving" you the CD, but will gladly "accept" donations of $5 or more. After they hand you the CD, it is hard to give it back to them and walk away. Either keep walking if you see them coming, or have something in both hands, so they can't hand it anything to you. These guys are everywhere.

Dec 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM

Actually it's only one ther: that is suggesting this little excursion.