Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Jose airport vs. SFO, worth drive to save money?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are visiting San Francisco (downtown), and will be flying in on a Saturday, and leaving the following Saturday I discovered that while there is no direct flight on my airline of choice to the San Francisco airport, there is a direct flight to the San Jose airport. In addition, it is $100 cheaper a ticket to fly into San Jose (for us, that only matters for my ticket, since my husbands is paid by his office) We are renting a car at the airport, whichever one we go to. Just wondering if you believe the amount saved money wise, and travel time wise given the direct flights, is worth the longer drive from San Jose? Will it be easier since it's travel on Saturday and not mid week/rush hour? Thanks!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:01 AM

I'd definitely fly into San Jose to avoid a connection and save $100. If you were relying on public transportation it might be different, but since you have a car, no problems. The drive from SJ to SF is about an hour and on a Saturday you shouldn't hit traffic unless there is an accident or something.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Yup! I do it all the time!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 11:17 AM

J-Correa is correct! As is everyone else.

Actually, SF International is south of SF and you still have to get into SF from the airport.So the difference in drive time into the city between SF Int'l and San Jose International is only about 1/2 hour.

You can get into SF two ways from San Jose International: you can take either 101, the flatter, older road or

You can take 280 and go along the scenic route. Either way you will end up about the same place in SF downtown.

Just follow the signs exiting San Jose Airport.

Welcome to California!
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:06 PM

I think its unanimous. I always try to take the direct flight since you generally save at least 2 hrs and you reduce your chances of complications with a delayed flight/missed connection. Also the San Jose airport is smaller and quicker to negotiate your way in and out of it.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:13 PM

Mineta San Jose International Airport would also be my choice since it's cheaper and nonstop. In terms of SJC being weasier to navigate than SFO, that's probably not the case since they began a major ($1.5 Million) expansion projetc at the airport. In addition there is the Highway 87 project which will turn it into an elevated freeway and there are frequent detours as a result of that as well.

I'd check the airport website before your trip top check on any detours, etc. before your trip.

Welcome to San Jose!

http://sjc.org/
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Sorry for the typo:
I should have said "easier" and with regards to the expansion project ($1.5 "Billion") A 1.5 million dollar one would definitely not qualify as major.
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your info and tips. San Jose it is! Unfortunately, we've had (yet another) change in plans and now we have to go in Friday and leave the following Friday (yick), but we won't arrive into the San Jose Airport until 8 pm, and we have to be at the San Jose airport for the return flight home about 2 pm, so we're hoping that THOUGH it's a Friday, that we'll avoid some of the worst rush hour times. I say that with my fingers crossed
Old Aug 13th, 2003, 03:13 PM

Branv,

Just a word of caution that Friday afternoons and evenings are one of the busiest times at SJC. Plan to get to the airport early in the day you leave.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 07:34 AM

By arriving at 8 pm and leaving at 2, you will miss the bulk of the traffic around the airport.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 07:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As an interesting and surprising aside, take a look at this article which calls San Jose International "one of five airports to avoid".

http://www.bcentral.com/articles/ell....asp?LID=33292
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:03 AM

Barbara,

That seems to be a somewhat outdated article. I fly in and out of San Jose International on a regular basis (at least 5 times per month) and have never encountered any major lines at the ticket counter or security checkpoints. Since 9/11 and the technology bust there has been a notable decrease in air traffic.

Branv, Just disregard the scare tactics. You'll be fine flying into SJ. As long as you get to the airport 90 minutes before your flight leaves, you will have more than enough time to check in and clear security. What airline will you be flying? My guess is American. If so you will be flying into Terminal A which is a modern terminal with jetbridges, despite what the article says that was cited by the previous poster. Terminals A and C have a number of different places to eat. Ilike getting there early just to relax before my flight.

Have a wonderful trip to the San Jose Bay Area.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Altoona, it just appeared yesterday, so it's not very outdated. This is not a "scare tactic", simply information. I just forgot that negative information about San Jose isn't allowed.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 08:45 AM

Barbara,

I saw that very same article a while back, I can't exactly remember when. Also, if you read the paragraph at the bottom of the article it makes a reference to the "yet to be opened BART connection at SFO" The BART began going to SFO 2 months ago.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:36 AM

In San Jose, terminal A and C are quite different as another poster mentioned.

I fly out of C frequently because that's United's terminal, and it is pretty outdated, but it's not that bad. There aren't any jetways, so you have to climb the stairs to get into the plane which can be a pain. I did notice at the beginning of the article, the author said he was listing the 5 worst airports for layovers and I would definitely agree that SJC's terminal C would NOT be my choice for a lay over. With the exception of a Noah's Bagels, I think all food consesions are outside security. But for a departure or arrival point, it's not bad at all.

Even though the article says there aren't any bathrooms past security in Terminal C, there definitely are - I used them last month after a turbulent flight from Denver during which the seatbelt sign was not turned off so I had to wait until we landed. EVERYBODY made a bee line to that bathroom - LOL.

I've never encountered any long lines at security in either terminal, but I have encountered long lines at the check in counter.

The construction around the airport is a pain - there is a major freeway contrustion job going on - basically they are taking a section of highway that used to have cross traffic and turning it into a controlled access freeway. During the process they are improving the access in and out of the airport, but for now, it's a bit of a mess.

Overall though, I don't think this should deter people from using the airport for arrivals and departures. Just be aware that there will be contruction and watch for the signs.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:16 PM

J Correa has pretty much summed it up correctly. In Terminal C only Delta Airlines has a jetway, the other airlines do not.

I haven'e flown out of Terminal C since 1986. Since I only fly with American I always go out of Terminal A. As J Correa mentions, that article talks about layovers. If you have a layover it will always be in Terminal A since American has one of the largest operations out of SJC. People who connect in San Jose are typically go to or from such cities as Tokyo, Maui, Honolulu, New York, Boston, which American serves nonstop from SJC and also Guadalajara and Morelia which is served by Mexicana. Mexicana uses the new International Terminal which of course has jetways.

All concessions in Terminal A are within the security zone.