san francisco with family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be traveling to San Francisco with 3 boys, ages 11, 10 and 8 the end of June, departing July 3.My husband and my children have never been to San Francisco; I was there 10 years ago. We're coming from Arizona. My dilemma is the hotel. I'm thinking of the Argonaut on Fisherman's Wharf or something nicer on Nob Hill. We won't rent a car. Has anyone ever done the fire engine over the Golden Gate tour? We'll definitely go to Alcatraz. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM

We just returned from our first trip to SF - although I didn't have my kids with me (this time).

We stayed at The Castle Inn on 1585 Broadway. We were an easy 15 minute (max) walk to Ghiradelli Square near FW. If you are on a budget of any sort I would recommend the Castle. Rooms were very clean, fridge, and micro included. We had 2 queens and a roll-away and weren't cramped in the least.
It's near Polk & Broadway and there are plenty of decent places to eat on Polk, some more expensive than others. We were also near public transportation.

If I were to stay in the Ghiradelli area I would choose the Argonaut simply because it seemed the furthest away from all the honky tonk stuff of Fisherman's Wharf. I didn't like FW but am glad I saw it. I do know I definetely wouldn't want to stay there.

Also did a Muir Woods and Sausalito tour. Kids might like Muir Woods, quite impressive. Sausalito might bore them a bit but they might enjoy the ferry ride back over to Fisherman's Wharf.

Have fun, we really loved SF.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:30 PM

Have stayed at the Argonaut and it is very nice. I have also done the fire engine ride over the bridge. That too is very fun. I took my granddaughter whow as 10 and she loved it. It starts at the Cannery and goes over the GG bridge thru Sausalito down to Fort baker then back thru the city on the Marina and ends back at the Cannery at Wharf.

Alcatraz is also a very fun thing to do. I've done it a few times also with my granddaughter. Angel Island is another nice trip with children as is going to a ball game at SBC Park or take Bart over to the A's stadium in Oakland. Cable Car Museum is interesting for kids and also the ship at wharf and of course do the cable car - can't go to SF without taking our quaint little cars.
Old May 12th, 2005, 03:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Rennassaince Stanford Court hotel on Nob Hill. It is a Marriott brand and was a very nice hotel. On our corner, California St was the the trolley car pick up. We walked easily to Chinatown.(My girls loved Chinatown the most). We did the Wok Wiz Walking tour of Chinatown and it was great. Your 8 year old may be a little bored by this. My girls are 11 and 12.
We went to Alcatraz and I would pick my day and time now and buy them through Blue FLeet and get the city pass for the trolley cars at the same time.
North Beach is a great area to dine. My kids love pasta and pizza. The meals were reasonable and the food was excellent.
We hired a limo driver to take us to Muir woods and hit the highlights of the city. It cost about 250 dollars for 4 hours. It was our private tour. No busses or other people. We could get out and see what we wanted. His name was Roland and he is with RV Limousine Service. His number is 415-601-7116. He was very good.
We took the boat to Sausalito and the kids liked the boat ride the best.
I don't recommend a day trip to Monterey or Carmel. The scenery is pretty, but my kids were bored. It is art shops and jewelery stores. The same is in Sausalito. We saw a lot of people rent bikes and bike to Sausalito (mostly downhill) across the Golden Gate and take the boat back from Sausalito. My husband really wanted to do this, but we did not have the time. Your kids will have a great time in SF.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:17 AM
Kal

As many time as we've been to SF we still haven't taken the Firetruck Tour.

It is on our list. Looks like fun and, as Shar mentions, kids that age would love it, especially on a beautiful day.

Ditto Alcatraz and cable and street car rides.

Hyde St Pier with all types of ships/boats, may be interesing for them too. Right near the Argonaut Hotel.
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:26 AM

A strong second for Rennassaince Stanford Court hotel on Nob Hill...if you can afford the rates. It is a wonderful hotel and location is superb. It is expensive though but we loved our stay there.