How did your kids like San Francisco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I admit it. The kids and I want to go to Disneyland again. But after three Disney trips in three years (Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, and Disneyworld), my husband feels that we've "done Disney" and never need to go back. (I'm sure that many of you would agree.)

My plan to lure my husband back to Disneyland is to start out in another city in California, then spend the last few days at DL. We've been to San Diego with the kids, so I was thinking of flying into San Francisco, staying a few days, then driving down to DL with a couple of "scenery stops" along the way.

I've been to SF fairly recently for a couple of seminars, and while I enjoyed the shopping and "seeing the place", I just can't figure out what would keep the kids' interest for more than a day or two. (They are 15, 13 and 10).

Did your kids love San Francisco? What did they like best?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:27 AM

well, you can show them some cultural aspects of san francisco....

the only things nearby that I can think of that may interest the kids are things like the santa cruz boardwalk, and the monterrey bay aquarium. we have a zoo here, but to be honest, the animals all look like they need to be on prozac. seriously.

why not take them to places like the redwoods and maybe have them do nature oriented kids focused things?
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I used to spend summers in SF with my aunt as a child, starting from age 7 through 13. I LOVED SF and would always be in tears when I had to leave. Alcatraz, the sea lions, the redwood forest, walking over the golden gate bridge, riding in a pedicab through chinatown...I know this is all very touristy, but I thought it was the coolest as a kid.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:36 AM

We were only there for a day and a half, but my kids (18 and 10) enjoyed Alcatraz, the sea lions on Pier 39, and Chinatown. We rode a cable car to the Cable Car Museum, too, which was pretty cool. They were glad I didn't make them do as much walking as I had originally thought we would do.

We didn't have time to visit the Exploratorium, but your kids might get a kick out of that.

On your way down the coast, do make time to visit the Monterey Bay Aquarium. We had planned to spend the morning there and ended up staying most of the day.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:40 AM

We stopped for 4 days in San Francisco a few times on the way to other destinations because we have relatives there. Our kids were in the range of ages 8-14 during those stops. They really enjoyed the ride out to and visit of Alcatraz, driving down Lombard St, the Golden Gate park/cruise, riding the cable cars, roaming Fishermans Wharf, Ghirardelli Sq and always wanted to return there b/c they are chocolate lovers, exploring Chinatown and dinners there, North Beach and Union square area -

we had to mix in shopping for the girls with walking/boat trip/museums for the others and everyone was happy.

While we did not venture to legoland or any of the six flag/ water parks, maybe that would help coerce the kids if a day was planned for that type of fun.

I understand the pull for Disney, always something there to please everyone - but it would be nice to see more of the places and cities surrounding the parks than only always the parks -

Even if you don't buy the Go San Francisco card, their web page might help you see what sites would interest you and your kids most.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:41 AM

i totally forget the exploratorium and the academy of sciences...

to me, the academy looks a little dated, but that could be just the effects of being dragged their every singly year while in in elementary and junior high.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Our kids go visit grandparents there each summer, and one thing not mentioned yet that they have enjoyed is touring the Pompanito, the submarine. It is down near where the cable car turnaround it.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Ditto Elendil's ideas.
SF is a skateboarding mecca and my then 15year old son skated a different park every day.We took the ferry to Sausalito and ate there. We to the BART to Berkeley.
We took the bus to Haight, which my kids had studied in junior high American history. We went when the kids were 12 & 15 and they both loved the city-still do.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 08:19 AM

A year or two after moving to San Francisco my children said, it's too bad we live here as the city would be such a great vacation destination!

I am a museum freak. Always recommend the Legion of Honor and Oakland museum.

And if your idea of D-Land won't work out, Marine world in Vallejo is somewhat similar.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:04 AM

We went several years ago and my kids still talk about Alcatraz. They also thought riding on those hilly streets was the coolest thing. We didn't take one of the tour type cruise ride but did take a ferry to sausilito at sunset. It was lovely. They also enjoyed the Tea Garden at Golden State Park.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Like other posters have mentioned our kids enjoyed San Francisco especially Alcatraz and Chinatown (my 8 yr old daughter loved a silk dress we bought there). Cable car rides were fun and my teen enjoyed the quirky shops around Haight and Ashbury.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM

I forgot about all of the head shops and other funky stores and sites in Berkeley. It's definitely your call as to whether or not it's appropriate for you children, but it was very eye-opening and fascinating to me as an adolescent.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Lizzie, there are a lot of areas around SF that I find interesting, but woudldn't consider a destination with my kids.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:06 AM

Hence the disclaimer in my post, if you read it carefully.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Noted. I was actually thinking more of the neighborhood where I bought the edible massage cream.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:04 AM
SAB

I never understand questions about whether kids will enjoy such and such city. These cities aren't adult only theme parks. Or maybe the questions arise because such cities are not self contianed theme parks. Kids do live in cities such as NYC, San Francisco, Paris and London and there are many things for kids to do and enjoy in such places.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

SAB, after having visited quite a few cities with my kids, I have found that there are more kid-friendly things to do in some cities than others. If forced to, we could probably find things to do in about any city. But when one is planning to fly cross country, use vaction time, etc., it's certainly nicer to choose a city where there is more to do, as opposed to less to do.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:23 AM
SAB

Missy--weren't you recently in Rome, Venice and Florence with your kids? I think kids who enjoyed these cities will have no problem enjoying SF.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes, just back last Saturday. I'm thinking that Spring Break should be an "easy" trip (easy for the planner [me], that is.) Going to Costa Rica in March and Italy in May just about did me in.
Old Jun 16th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Missypie, would your kids enjoy a Fodorites' GTG? It's never too early to start, LOL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -