San Francisco Union Square Hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep seeing Union Square as a nice place to stay - my question is - what hotels are actually within Union Square? I have been to the city and stayed in many areas, but need to focus on what our group would like best. I didn't have a preference other than not at FW.

We are considering the Marriott Union Square and the Omni - both with good reviews. Are these hotels actually on the square or within a block? Stayed last time at Hotel Monaco which we loved, but it seemed a bit far away from any action, and I didn't see alot to walk to within a block or two that felt safe. With young people in tow, we want to find an extremely safe area since they may like to be out a bit later.

We are a group of 8 needing 4 rooms so I hope to find a good rate. Ages range from 25 to 55 and they like to go to local bars - within a block or two so that no driving is necessary. We will be touring all over the city during the day, and at night would like to go to dinner in the various sections of town, but then back closer to the hotel for a nightcap.

It is so hard to choose a hotel without seeing the area - so many say Union Square - but what is truly in Union Square? Thanks
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:12 AM

This link should be helpful. It has actual pictures of Union Square and very close by locations with names and links as well as a map.
http://www.unionsquareshop.com/

The 3 hotels that are on the square are the Westin, Compton Place and the Grand Hyatt. I've stayed in both Westin & Hyatt yearly: I prefer the Grand Hyatt as it is more business oriented, has good discount rates and a fabulous Concierge complimentary. Breakfast is a dilema tho as the restaurant on 57th (or so) floor has a wonderful view..but is very expensive. Starbucks is across the street from Grand Hyatt and Emorio Rulli in square itself are good breakfast alternatives.
There is a 1/2 off Theater Ticket booth in the square too.

http://www.unionsquareshop.com/pages/mocca.html
MOcca on MAin is my all time favorite lunch spot just off the square on Maiden LAne. Be warned tho it is cash only.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
1JAR~ Thanks for posting that restaurant link!! I love that place (Mocca) and have been several times, but never knew the name.

Lucky~ If you Google with the words "hotels on Union Square San Francisco" a list and a map pops up showing you what's available and exactly where each is located in relation to the square.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Union Square is a good spot and I like staying there...but it's not a "local bar" type of place. If you want a more local flavor, you may want so stay near the Embarcadero area (Le Meridian, Grand Hyatt, Hotel Vitale...even the Westin on Market Street) which will be closer to bars and lounges and still walking distance to Union Square.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Vova - is the Embarcadero area close to walking to anything - such as North Beach or Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, etc.

I don't want to be in the business district. I have stayed there before (don't remember the name of the area though) and I felt like the streets sort of rolled up at night. I could swear it was in the Embarcadero area though. Too long ago to remember. That's why I was leaning towards Union Square.

Can you walk to these places from Union Square? Thanks so much for all your input!
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You CAN in theory walk it (I've done it) but Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown are quite a hike from Union Square. But the streetcar route easily connect them all.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:41 AM

Omni is not Union Square, it's Financial district, close to Embarcadero and Chinatown (California @ Montgomery)

Going from Union Sq. to Fish. Wharf there will be a steep hill.

Maybe you stayed on Nob Hill that you remember?
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 12:05 PM

The Embarcadero IS a business district, but it also includes the Ferry Bldg., and lots of restaurants and bars. Just to clarify, though, the Westin on Market Street is closer to Union Square than it is to the Embarcadero, and it's the Hyatt Regency that's in the Embarcadero area, not the Grand Hyatt (which is ON Union Square).
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I have stayed at the Fairmont - and again another hotel in the financial district I think. I travel for a living (meeting planner) and I can barely remember one hotel from another.

I will get some quotes on the Union Square hotels I saw from the link in the first couple of posts. Thanks so much - I want to post my itinerary later to get advice too! Thanks.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 01:00 PM

The Fairmont is the top of Nob Hill - not a business destination, rather it's a very upscale residential neighborhood, and yes, it would be pretty darn quiet in the evening - not a "bar-hopping" type of neighborhood.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 01:09 PM

i guess to clarify to the OP...you said local bars so I was thinking about if I typically went to a bar or a lounge in the Union Square area to meet up friends for a drink. The answer is no...two exceptions would be the bar at Bix and the Redwood Room at the Clift...both cool spots. Bars and lounges in the city are more typically in the SOMA, Mission, Marina, Cow Hollow neighborhoods.

Personally, I like the Market Street Westin or the Embarcadero hotels (yes, Hyatt Regency is what I was thinking about) because I feel more central...I can walk to most SOMA spots, I'm still close to North Beach and Union Square, am closer to restaurants I like and it's less hectic than being in Union Square...I can also walk to AT&T Park to catch the Giants. I also like being close to the Ferry building. I wouldn't do the Omni on Cal & Montgomery since that area does get very very quiet after 7pm and you are in the heart of the financial district.

I think based on your group and what i'm hearing on preferences, Union Square would be a good spot. Every area has some tradeoffs.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:28 PM

vova can plan a trip for me anytime! (by that I mean I agree with just about everything she says)
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 02:40 PM

he
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:22 AM

There are truly only two hotels "right on" Union Square....of which the Grand Hyatt San Francisco is one. The rest are at least one++ blocks away. Grand Hyatt occupies the corners or Post/Stockton/Sutter with the main entrance on Stockton. The Levi building is part of the Grand Hyatt footprint.

I am prejuidice when it comes to hotels, with Hyatt definitely as the choice