Search

San Francisco trip in August - please help with itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 2012, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco trip in August - please help with itinerary

Hello,

Need some help in fine tuning one leg of the trip. We'll be trekking a bit around Chicago and will be flying in from there. As with our Florida trip last year, I tend to make cancellable bookings in advance and then try and fine tune within that including a keen eye out for Hotwire to grab a sweet deal till the last minute.

We are a family of four with two teens (17 and 15)

Here's the plan/bookings so far:

August 17: arrive by 4 PM, check in to the Intercontinental Union Square (9 nights).
August 26: drive to Monterey (booked for 2 nights at the Intercontinental Clement (2 nights)
August 28: fly out of SFO at 5 PM

I've got the SF passport for 7 days, so nicely sorted for the week in SF. Plan to rent a car and drive to Monterey and relax/explore the area there towards the end of the trip.

Main question is: I want to reduce the SF stay from 9 to 7 nights and spend those 2 nights (August 24 and 25) elsewhere, before going to Monterey and am looking for suggestions.

I was originally thinking of Santa Cruz, but the more I read about it, the less sure I am of Santa Cruz as a destination - I'm sure the broadwalk and the redwood forest would be nice, if only I could find a decent hotel there. North of SF sounds nice, but not sure if the teens would enjoy that (we experienced that in Florida - they loved Miami the most, more happening I guess from their perspective). I even thought of going down to Santa Barbara and then heading back up to Monterey. Would ideally like a place close to the water, which is not a romantic getaway, but would like to explore your suggestions.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 07:28 AM

SF passport for 7 days

Do you mean A "Muni Visitor Pass" [which is transit only] or a "Citypass" which adds on a few extras admissions.

I recommend that you just buy the Muni Visitor Pass and then just paying for whatever else you decide to do on your own. I don't think the extra cost for the CityPass is worth it, especially if you don't do all that is included.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 07:36 AM

If you are not familiar with these free tours, check them out. There are a variety of tours that will appeal to a variety of likes. All they ask for is a donation and no reservations are needed.

http://www.sfcityguides.org/
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I got the Citypass - there is a great deal on it from Costco (here in Canada).

Wow - thanks for the walking tours link. It looks great - will definitely use it. I was also looking at on of the biking tours: http://www.sosfbiketours.com/ which looks interesting.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 08:21 AM

Consider bike rental from Blazing Saddles and going over the Golden Gate Bridge.

http://www.blazingsaddles.com/san-francisco.aspx
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a million - this is so helpful! Will rent bikes from here and skip the tour. Might still go with the Segway tour - that definitely soun like fun
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 08:30 AM

They often have deals on segways on groupon.Sign up for San Francisco deals and follow what's offered.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM

Are you planning to drive down the coast south of Monterey? The part of the coast between Monterey and San Simeon is the stuff of which legens are made! I'd add the days to the "going south" part of your trip and do Santa Cruz and the coast as part of that. You can stay in Monterey all 4 days.

When will you be here? If you do drive down south, check and see if the California MidState Fair will be on (in Paso Robles, a pleasant small town itself). We went last summer to see Maroon 5 and had a great time ((fair, rides, animals, concert - I have a picture of me walking past the cows to get to my seat for the concert).

Another possibility (and whether this is a good idea depends on where in Canada you're coming from) would be a few days in Lake Tahoe. We've been here every weekend since mid-June and the weather has been sensational. Lots of biking and hiking, beach, music, etc.
Old Jul 21st, 2012, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks sf7307,

We were planning to drive south from Monterey, but only to Carmel beach and back up on the 17 mile drive.

From your post, I'm thinking maybe I could stay 8 nights in SF and for the 9th night go down to San Simeon or Camria, spend one night there and then up to Monterey for last 2 nights.

Any thoughts on these two locations or any place else around?
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:08 AM

Why not drive out to Yosemite? We are doing a 6 night trip with our 3 teen boys consisting of 4 days in San Fran, 1 in Monterey and 1 in Yosemite. If you have 2 days you can spare, Yosemite would be an amazing place to take them. We will be driving from Monterey East to Yosemite-about a 4 hour drive, staying overnight, spend the next day in Yosemite then a 4 hour drive back to San Francisco. If you can extend your rental car and don't mind the drive you may want to consider.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 08:53 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Stay the full 4 days in Monterey (Yosemite is wonderful but it isn't a day trip sort of place and accommodations will be difficult/impossible)

The Monterey base would allow you to see most things in the area w/o dashing around like crazy people. You 100% want to tour farther south than Carmel - at least through Big Sur.

On the drive to Monterey stop in Santa Cruz and Capitola
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 08:56 AM

This is a report on a day trip we took down the coast a couple of years ago. The pictures were taken with my phone, so they aren't great, but will give you an idea:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...t-part-way.cfm
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 09:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like good advice above.
On one of your sunny days in SF, go over the Golden Gate Bridge to see the big trees at Muir Woods.
You can easily visit Sonoma and or Napa from there if you want to see some vineyards.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughtful suggestions.

janisj: you have no idea how much I loved hearing from you: you helped make our UK trip so much more enjoyable (many moons ago), I'm eternally grateful to you. I will definitely be driving all the way to at least San Simeon (after I read up on this drive from the tip I got from here), regardless of where I'm staying.

I'm desperately trying to make it so that the first 7 nights are in SF and the last 4 in Monterey (so we can use that as a base as well as a destination). The problem is cost - the 2 nights we're trying to shift around are August 24 and 25 - it's probably the last or the 2nd last weekend before schools open, everything is prohibitively expensive. For example, I got the Intercontinental Clent in Monterey for close to $200 a night for the 4 of us for August 26 and 27 - the same hotel (as well as a vast number of lesser star ones) are going for prices that are mind boggling (to me at least). It just doesn't make sense to me to leave my nice Intercontinental in SF for those 2 nights and check in at a Days Inn for the same price ( actually a little more). I have nothing against basic motels and stay at them all the time, but am having difficulty with the price tag. I'm hawking Priceline and Hotwire, and as soon as I come across something sweet - I'd love to be able to spend the 4 nights in Monterey.

The only other alternative is to spend those 2 nights at the Chaminade in Scott's Valley - I'm getting that for about $200, but I'll wait that out a bit.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 05:04 PM

There is a reason Monterey is more expensive than San Francisco. Have you tried the Pacific Hotel, Monterey? I see they have rooms for about $235 per night for 4 persons. Nice hotel in a nice location.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi - went back and looked at your trip report. Even though it was ages ago I actually remember your trip/planning w/ the footie/Lakes/Scotland etc . Glad I could help.

Check out Carmel and Carmel Valley for accommodations. You might find something nice for less than the Intercontinental. And some places will discount their rates a bit for a 4 night booking.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 06:53 PM

BarbAnn, why are Monterey hotels more expensive than San Francisco hotels?
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 09:58 PM

Supply and demand during August. Monterey Auto Week with the Concours d'Elegance is in August. Wine events prior to busy harvest, kids moving back to CSUMB. Nice beach weather. Second half of August is packed on the Monterey Peninsula.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 01:36 PM

Chaminade for your information is in the hills above Santa Cruz. The rooms are large. There is a huge swimming pool, outdoor activities, hiking trails and more. There is a large conference center and good on site restaurant. The views of the city and distant view of the ocean from there is nice. However, I like San Francisco too so its a toss up as you say between staying in San Francisco or Chaminade.

If you did stay in Chaminade some activities you could do is
1) Drive highway 1 from San Francisco to Santa Cruz - checking out Half Moon bay, goat cheese tasting, kite surfing, Big Basin Redwood State Park, and Santa Cruz (good for the Boardwalk, wine tasting, and ocean side setting.). There is also Roaring camp - a railroad through the redwoods nearby. As such, it could be an enjoyable stay at Chaminade.

Agree with BarbAnn that prices are high during Concours d'Elegance. Even nearby Marina (which is usually the poor man's place to stay for Monterey area) is expensive during that week - go figure (as soon as Labor Day comes the prices drop substantially.).

You have received excellent advise already so just wanted to add this.
One other thing while in Monterey/Carmel definitely plan to go to Point Lobos - its a wonderful and unique place to see along the ocean.

have fun and best to you.
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM

We are going to Concours d'Elegance. Even the dumpiest motels are over $400 a night that week and book out a year in advance. YIKES!

We ended up booking 2 nights at Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove for our first 2 nights [at regular prices] and then move down to a VRBO in Carmel Higlands on a vineyard for the other 4 nights. We are auctioning a vintage motorcycle, so we hope it sells!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -