Reload this Page >

San Francisco to Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:22 PM
Melissa

Hello, in June I will be traveling with my 12 and 15 yr old. The last stage of our trip will be coming from SF to the Grand Canyon. What is the best route from SF? Where should we plan on spending the night along the way? Should we plan on spending the night at the Grand Canyon? We really don't plan on doing anything at the GC except enjoying the view. I think we will be tired from our CA trip, but just wanted to see the GC along the way home to Texas. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Nancy

Thats a 15 hour drive to Grand Canyon, where will you be before that?

I have taken the Grand Canyon Railway from Williams AZ which is really fun.

If you want more info, just email me.
Thanks
Nancy

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Utahtea

Hi Melissa,

There are two good routes. The fast way is about 800 miles but not very scenic. Take Interstate 580 east to Interstate 5 then drive down to Buttonwillow then take Hwy 58 to Bakersfield and on to Barstow. At Barstow take Interstate 40 to Williams then north on Hwy 64 to the Grand Canyon.

The second much more scenic route is about 855 miles but on slower roads. Take Interstate 580 to Interstate 205. Then go north for a short distance on Interstate 5 to Hwy 120. Take Hwy 120 throught Yosemite (you might want to take a short side trip to Yosemite Valley and add 30 miles to the trip) Keep going on Hwy 120 to Lee Vining. Go for a few miles north on Hwy 395 and then pick up Hwy 6 to Tonopah, NV. From Tonopah head south on Hwy 95 to Las Vegas, NV. From Las Vegas take Hwy 93 south to Interstate 40.

Either way you go, you are going to want to spend one nite on the road. I would also plan on spending one night at or near the Grand Canyon if you had the time. There are many different view points to see. Exit the Grand Canyon by going east on Hwy 64 to Cameron. That's a beautiful drive.

Have a good trip.

Utahtea

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:05 AM
rqf

Consider going through Yosemite if Tioga Pass is open. Then take 395 south to Lone Pine which is a gateway to Death Valley National Park. Your children would enjoy a drive through and spending a few hours in the park. From Death Valley head to the South Rim of Gr. Canyon going through Las Vegas. This would involve an overnight stay along the route possibly Las Vegas. It is a five or so hour drive from LV to the South Rim so if you got an early start you could be at the Canyon before 1 pm giving you half a day to enjoy the views before heading for Texas

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:37 AM
linda

Ditto! We did this last year and it was great. We stayed near Yosemite, toured Yosemite, and spent another night on the west side of Death Valley. Get up early before it gets too hot and go for it. At least you get to see some really unique scenery.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:05 AM
Melissa

Hello fellow fodors, Nancy we will be coming from Odessa, Tx to San Diego, LA, Cambria, to SF and then working our way back home. I really wanted to go by the Grand Canyon on the way home. You know how it is, you want to fit everything in and it just isn't possible. I want to go to Yosemite and Sequoia NF too. I'm having to start narrowing it down now. Then you add the possiblity of spending the night in Las Vegas and wooohooo here we go again. I need a month to do it all.

I think I'm only going to spend one night along the way from SF to the Grand Canyon. I guess we better skip Yosemite and get on down the road. I just wish I-99 went right passed the park then I would have it made. Any other suggestions? Would Barstow be the place to spend the night? Then can we make it early enough to the GC to look around a little?

Thanks,
Melissa

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 09:05 AM
kam

Melissa,Assuming that you aren't going to drive the whole way back to Texas (?)could you consider flying on SWA from Oakland or San Jose to Phoenix, renting a car there seeing the GC and then continue on home on SWA since it flies to many destinations in Texas. It would save a lot of time. I don't think the drive from SF to the GC is particularly pretty although a stop in Yosemite would be nice. There are also flights from LAX to Flagstaff, but I don't recall what airline.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Melissa

Hi Kam, I have checked into flying to CA. For the 3 of us it is just to expensive and then to rent a car on top of that. Besides I have a new car and am looking forward to a "road trip." But I appreciate the idea.

Thanks,
Melissa