Reload this Page >

San Francisco + surrounds for 7-8 days?? Itinerary Help

Old Mar 25th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone
I'm planning a trip to the area in July. I was thinking of using the city as home base, spending most of my time there and maybe renting a car once or twice to take a trip out of the city. I definitely want to go to Sausalito but was thinking of doing that via ferry. Am I thinking impractically? I'd appreciate any/all suggestions regarding itineraries. We are definitely interested in art, some of the sights,culture, food, wine (at least one of us..).
I always get great advice from the forum so I am looking forward to your thoughts.
Thanks so much!
Lisa
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:22 AM

Rent bikes a Fisherman's Wharf, ride along Crissy Field to Ft Point, tour Ft Point, and then ride over the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito and take the ferry back. Do this on a Friday when Ft Point is open and you can ride your bike on the City side (east side) of the GG Bridge. On weekends, bike riders must ride on the west side.

Other ideas:
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mendations.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:10 AM

taking the Ferry over to Sausalito is a great idea. It isn't cheap but easier than trying to park in that small town. Metered lots over there are expensive too. Bike Riding is fun, either over the bridge or in Golden Gate Park. Great museums here I believe the Legion of Honor in Lincoln park (out in the "avenues") will be having a Picasso exhibit going on then. The DeYoung in Golden Gate Park is a must for museum lovers as well as the San Francisco Historical Museum on Mission (?) and across from that is the African American Diaspora Museum which is well worth a visit and can be done at the same time. Other things to do

1. Muir Woods worth a visit (need a car) and a good walk within the compound. Wonderful redwoods to admire.
2. Sonoma or Napa for a day trip. We love Healdsburg about 90 inutes north of the City. Charming town, great wineries in the Dry Creek Area
3. Hearst castle but that would involve an overnight as it is 4-5 hour drive. Tix can be reserved in advance via their website.
4. Carmel is another possible day trip 1 3/4 to 2 hour drive
5. Live Theater in the City at either of our venues:
Golden Gate, Curran, Geary or the Orpheum. Not sure what will be playing then but you can go on line to the Best of Broadway to see for yourself.
6. Neighborhood walks is always fun and gives you a chance to see beyond the touristy things. We do it often via a couple of walking books that we have bought. One is Stairway Walks in San Francisco (by Adah Bakalinsky); another is Walking San Francisco (A Falcon Guide), Walking San Francisco on the Barbara Coast Trail (Daniel Bacon) Historical Walks in San Francisco (Rand Richards). Sometimes you can find a "historical walking tour group" - I'd check with the Historical Museum in SF.
7. Love the Chinatown Walking Tour which takes you to back alleys and gives the history of the area.
8. Farmers Market at the Ferry Building is fun to walk - Saturday is the largest one and then again on I believe Thursday.

Such a great City. I am blessed to live 20 minutes away and get there as often as I can...going up there tonight for the symphony Hope this helps
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:29 AM

It makes perfect sense, it is what we do. Renting a car early in the morning and returning it at the end of the day is the best way to do it, no costly hotel parking and it costs less to rent from city locations. We like Dollar on O'Farrell Street.

If you aren't familiar with City Guides, check them out. GREAT tours, given free [donation is nice] to lots of neat places around SF. There are tours for every like, we have done lots of them and they are the best deal going! http://www.sfcityguides.org/

Also, the free docent tour of City Hall is really good too.
http://www.sfgsa.org/index.aspx?page=1172
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 11:35 AM

Also - for food deals

www.scoutmob.com/san-francisco
www.BlackboardEats.com
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM

If you opt for a trip over the Golden Gate, either on foot or on bike, bring a jacket. July doesn't always equal warm and sunny in SF, especially not on the bridge, where it can be quite breezy and cool.

One thing you can see only in San Francisco is the long-running Beach Blanket Babylon. It pokes fun at pop culture and current events, and the hats are spectacular.

Renting a car for trips outside the City is a great idea, but I use public transportation while IN the city. Parking can be an expensive hassle.