San Francisco side trips

Jul 8th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

San Francisco side trips

Heading for San Francisco in September - would like to take a side trip to vineyards for one night. We were advised best not to rent a car. Is there transportation to Napa/Sonoma? Or tour groups who plan these trips - how are these? Or would it be best to rent a car? We thought of renting a car for only 2 days while touring this area and return car when we stay in San Francisco. Any advise would be great. And a good suggestion for a hotel for one night in this area. Thank you.
Jul 8th, 2003, 08:55 AM

Sasha,

It's true that you don't really need a car in San Francisco, but to go to wine country, I would definitely rent a car, and drive myself to wine country.

A word about lodging in wine country, September is harvest time, and a very popular time to go. I'm trying to get loding in Calistoga in October and I'm finding that A) many places are already fully booked up and B) lodging prices are SKY HIGH. If you haven't got a reservation yet, you need to start calling places right now.

If you can't find a place, don't worry about staying the night there. You can also do it as a day trip, I live here, and that's how I do it 99% of the time.
Jul 8th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Sasha, it's true that it's hard to get reservations for a room in Sept in the wine country but it does help to go midweek. I was directed to a room for the night of Sept 10th at the Napa Marriott for $189. I couldn't get a room for that same night at the Lodge at Sonoma which is really where I wanted to stay. Don't know anything about the Napa Marriott and I didn't make a reservation just wanted to pass along the info.

If you plan to stay overnight you should really rent a car.
Jul 8th, 2003, 06:16 PM

We rented a car last October and drove to Napa. It was awesome-we put the top down and had a great trip. Weather was perfect and we got to come and go as we pleased without waiting on others. Maybe next time we will take the train but there is nothing wrong with renting a car.
Jul 8th, 2003, 09:27 PM

Definately rent a car and drive up there, it is an easy, straight shot...there is more than one area, so if the hotels are full in one area, just try another...Napa/Calistoga/St. Helen/Sonoma/Healdsberg/Russian River...you can stay in any of these areas and visit the others, especially if you have a car!