San Francisco Restaurant

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

San Francisco Restaurant

Hi there...This has likely been talked about before, but too many threads to search through so apologies first...
Need suggestion for a romantic dinner spot in the city, preferably not right by Union Sq, moderate to expensive. Good wine, not just a steakhouse or Asian food. Ambience very important. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:32 PM

http://www.lecolonialsf.com/home.html
Le Colonial is lovely. Fun to find, off the beaten path and yet centrally located near downtown. Special ambience and delicious food.

http://sanfrancisco.citysearch.com/b...nners/romantic
Here's a link to the "romantic" restaurants. Of them, I've only been to the Ritz. It IS romantic (in a sit-up-straight sort of way).

Old Dec 29th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I agree about Le Colonial. Very nice! Another favorite is Clementine; French, modest, on Clement Street.
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I guess I have been to Le Colonial on the wrong nights as every time I have been there the service has been awful.
But just bad luck perhaps.

One of my favorite restaurants is Scalas. www.scalasbistro.com. However, like a lot of SF restaurants it is very noisy. There are so many restaurants in SF you should be able to find one that will fit your requirements. Have a wonderful time in SF.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Well if you REALLY want to be away from Union Square, I'd suggest Chez Sebastian. It's at 14th and Florida, in the midst of the warehouse zone. It's like a little secret oasis tucked away in the 'hood. Obviously, no view. But the food is excellent, the ambiance hip and very French. It sounds like an unlikely place, but if my sweetie were to ask where I'd want to go for a birthday dinner, this would be on my short list.

I had dinner recently at the Carnelian Room, at the top of the BofA building (California and Montgomery). Now THAT's a view. Night or day, sunset or storm, it's a grand backdrop to your dining. The food has improved dramatically and the service is good and on the formal side.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM

Sorry! Mistake in my previous post. It's Chez Spencer, not Sebastian. The first time I went there, I got the name imprinted on my woeful brain as Sebastian and obviously I never recovered. The two glasses of Sancerre were at fault, too.

Anyway, Chez SPENCER - Good place, have fun.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Dovima
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Moose's in North Beach is absolutely wonderful. Great food and ambiance, with a trio playing soft jazz.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM

For something entirely different -- Millennium Restaurant, located in the Hotel Savoy, is a FABULOUS vegetarian restaurant. Even my meat-eating friends and family agree. Every month, they have an "aphrodisiac" dinner, with or without overnight accommodations at the hotel. The web site for this dinner is http://www.millenniumrestaurant.com/...hrodisiac.html, but alaso browse around to see what the food is like.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 12:02 PM

The Millenium is about 3 blocks up Geary from Union Square, if that matters.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:47 PM

Fleur de Lys www.fleurdelyssf.com for French

Cafe Jacqueline (North Beach)- small, quiet, and romantic restaurant specializing in souffles.

Boulevard on the Embarcadero - http://www.boulevardrestaurant.com/

I would ask this question on the SF Bay Area message board on chowhound.com. You will get many many great recommendations. I know I always say that on this board, but on Chowhound.com you'll find a larger group of Bay Area residents who can really provide up to date info on restaurants in the area.

Good Luck!

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 05:14 AM

SanFranciscoNative's recommendations have come much closer to the romantic ambience idea that the original poster asked about than most of the others above, I think.

Amongst those three excellent choices, Boulevard a little more on the side of a busy, see and be seen glamour; Fleur de Lys, with its exotic tent, quieter, the most luxurious, gourmet and expensive; Chez Jacqueline, the most out of the way and unpretentious, intimate and picturesque, dark and candlelit, a Paris Left Bank ambience. Since souffles tend to take a long time to prepare, the latter is an excellent choice for long, leisurely conversation.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, will do more research. BUt JBC has hit it on the nail for me thus far...candle lit, ambiance and intimate is the target, as suppose to "seen and be seen" I'm often amazed as some suggestions for romantic places when you are literally rubbing elbows with the next table or have to shout to hear your partner!!!!...So will check that one out for sure
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 11:24 AM

I've read that there are more marriage proposals at Fleur de Lys than in any other restaurant in The City.

I'll second JBC's remarks about SF Native's recommendations.

Stu Dudley
also a SF Native
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Just thought I get back here to let all the helpful people know I took the advise of the citysearch poll posted by citygrrl and went to the #1 spot of Firefly in Noe Valley...great meal (took the prix fixe option...pot sticker appetizer, scallops main course, and ginger ice-cream on apple fritter dessert), reasonable prices, quiet quaint neighbourhood, super service, and oh so romantic....but of course the company I had may also have something to do with that....;-) Thanks again for all the help.
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 06:49 AM

I'm glad you liked it -- one of my favorite local places (I live in Noe Valley). I was just there 2 weeks ago and had the fixe prix dinner, too. Sorry I didn't mention it as a romantic place, but when I went last, I was with my 2 kids, mother-in-law, and sister-in-law -- romance was not on my mind! ;-)
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 08:55 AM

Jardiniere.com
Old Jan 17th, 2006, 09:16 AM

We dined at Firefly last Wednesday with friends - my wife had the exact same menu as you had.

Stu Dudley