San Francisco Questions...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I have found this forum to be most helpful and finally decided to stop lurking and join in the fun.

I am planning a trip with my girlfriend to San Francisco (both in our 20s and both our first time to the West Coast). We will be there from June 16-22. I have a ton of questions...

1) What are the "can't miss" attractions?

2) Anything romantic we can do? I am also thinking of "poping" the question in SF, any good spots?

3) We booked (through Priceline) the Harbor Court Hotel, has anyone been there? Any thoughts? We could only get it for the first three nights, which leads me to my next question.

4) Lastly, I am having trouble booking a room for the last three nights (June 19-22). My girlfriend really wants to stay in the Wharf area, but from what I read on this forum, that may not be a great idea. Should I keep trying priceline or book on my own.

Thanks again for all the great posts!

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:17 AM

Popping the question - congrats!!

Click on my name & you'll find plenty of advice on places to visit.

More proposals are made at the restaurant Fleur du Lys than at any other restaurant. It's French & a little pricey (actually, quite pricy), so that may not do it for you. There is a tiny park off Grant called Jack Early park - I described it in one of my posts. Lots of proposals from the park. Good view of downtown and the place is quite intimate. I think it closes at disk - which will be late in June.

If you have a car, I would propose atop the GGNRA lookout across the GG bridge and up, up, up to the west. Best views in the Bay Area, IMO. The Golden Gate Bridge, behind it the City, and you can see all the way down the coast. It may be foggy in June, which yould make it a wash out. Very romantic. See one of my posts about how to get there.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Stu, I have been reading your post and they have been very helpful! Is the GG Bridge accessible if I don't have a car? Is there public transportation?
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:49 AM

Just thought of another proposal site if the others don't work.

You can have dinner in North Beach at one of our many Italian restaurants there. Afterwards, walk west on Vallejo, past the Cable Car tracks. About 1/2 block past the tracks, you will see some stairs leading up. Climb up the stairs (it's a public thoroughfare) and soon you will find yourself in a small park called Ina Collbrith Park (she's the niece of Joseph Smith, who founded the Mormon Church). Don't "pop it" there, although you might be tempted. Walk west out of the park, cross Taylor St and climp up another set of stairs. When you get to the top of the stairs onto a street, walk 5 paces to the right (or left - don't remember if there are 2 sets of stairs) & you will be at the tippy-top of Russian hill. You will find a great lookout there and that's where to pop the question!!! There are not usually many other people there - it's hard to find unless you know about it (or read my posts).

If you're staying at the Wharf or Downtown, you can take the Cable Car back. Don't pick it up from the tracks you previously crossed, however. Continue west on Vallejo - this is a very exclusive neighborhood - many of the houses miraclously escaped the 06 earthquake & fire. Shortly you will find a set of stairs down (all others have been up), or you can turn left or right & walk down the paved street. Continue west on Vallejo & in a few blocks you will be on Hyde St - which is a very pretty tree-lined street where the cable cars runs. There are some very nice restaurants on this street.

There is also a very romantic "gem" of a restaurant just a few blocks from the tippy-top of Russian Hill. It's on the corner of Jones & Glover (I think) just across the street from where you take the stairs down from Russian Hill. It's "basic" Italian fare, "white tablecloth", quite romantic (for San Francisco, anyway) & it's been there for years. It's called Allegro - 1701 Jones, 928-4004 - you probably need reservations. It's in a residentual neighborhood.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 08:52 AM

Yes - it's accessable - thousands of people get there daily. Unfortunatly, I'm not sure of the easiest/quickest way to get there - I always have a car.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:10 AM

You might consider just having a taxi drop you at the far side of the bridge and walk back toward SF. We did this and then walked to GG Park where we spent 1/2 day and took a bus back to Union square area. Very simple. The taxi was less than $10.

BTW, I would consider a walk across the Golden Gate bridge as one that you "can't miss". Gorgeous!

Other "can't miss" items include: a day in GG Park (rent bikes or roller blades), Twin Peaks, a movie at the Castro theater, a meal and evening out in the Mission District, a walk through Haight Ashbury.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I can't believe I'm going to say something about SF that StuDudley doesn't know!

The muni buses #28 and #29 both will deposit you at the sf end of the GG bridge. You can then walk across the bridge to the marin side (then walk back, if you wish).

You can download a pdf map of the bus and muni routes at www.sfmuni.com

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the relief help gb944.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Stu and everyone for the "pop it" tips. Stu, I like you recent Russian Hill idea. I think it will be great city to propose.

Three more questions....

1) Is there a Tiffany's in SF? Any other nice recommendations for the ring?

2)It is worth paying full price for the Argonaut Hotel? My girlfriend wants to stay in the Wharf area and the Argonaut looks like a great place. We are both recent college graduates with not a ton of money. Is the Argonaut worth $200 a night?

3)What is the weather like in June, I know that we should dress in layers, but what about the fog?

Thanks again everyone, this is really helpful.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Personal thoughts; use as you wish.

Hotel: You are very early to bid on priceline but nothing to lose if you keep your bids low. Suggest thinking about the Cathederal Hill zone: Suggest bidding in the range of $50 for a three star; $40 for 2 1/2 star this point. Continue to consult biddingfortravel.com for advice (notice you posted your purchase on that site). The wharf area is okay but not really a big deal once you get in your room and better deals are elsewhere.

Spend the money you save on dinners; take a bus tour out to the Redwoods or even Yosemite. Alcatraz is well worth seeing; for a June visit you will need to buy tickets early. I don't mean today but would look at as your trip nears or certainly on your first day in San Francisco (but wouldn't hurt to have it pre bought before you depart for your trip).

Have a great time.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM

I think the Harbor Court is a great location. I've not been inside but my hubby works nearby so I'm in the area a lot. On that block you have some great restaurants - Ozumo (for drinks and sushi) and Boulevard being two of them. Not to mention the Ferry Building is right across the street. Be sure to stop by on Saturday morning if you can to see the outdoor farmer's market in front and in the back of the building. The stores inside are great too.

A romantic dinner place in North Beach (if you end up proposing in that area) is Cafe Jacqueline. The atmosphere is simple, unpretentious and quiet. They specialize in souffles so you linger there longer than normal. The souffles are wonderful and different.

As for Tiffany's, there is one on Union Square. You can't miss it - it's flanked by the flagship Williams Sonoma store on one side and by Saks 5th Avenue on the other. Are you planning to buy the ring there? If so, I have to insert my personal opinion that you can get much more for your money if you buy an engagement ring elsewhere. Some people like the cache of getting a Tiffany's ring, but if you find a trusted jeweler (everyone has their diamond "guy" they will recommend) you can get just as good quality a diamond and bigger for the same price. Do you live near NYC? If so, try to get a recommendation for the diamond district. But I digress...

As for romantic - SF is a city of views. I think that's the most romantic aspect. I think there was a thread on view spots in SF. StuDudley has recommended some good ones. There are others - Coit Tower, Twin Peaks (hard to get to without a car) and many more I can't think of right now.

As for weather, it may be foggy. The foggier months tend to be July and August. But summer, in general, is the foggiest time in the city. The only problem with the fog is that it will impede some of the beautiful views if it hasn't burn off in the afternoon. Layers are good. You won't need shorts.

Have fun!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM

You're having problems with hotels because the last weekend of June is the huge gay parade when the city may be just sold out as people come from all over the world, not only from other parts of USA.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM

In addition to gb944 - if you can go to the bridge on Sunday, bus 78 will take you there, it runs along Sutter St and Van Ness.
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM

We spent part of our time in SF for out honeymoon. You also might want to check out a day trip to wine country--very lovely and romantic!!

Don't misses in SF:
-rent bikes and ride across the GGBridge to Sausalito and take the ferry back--what an incredible day!!
-Alcatraz--touristy, but really cool
-if you have a car check out the Muir Woods (giant redwood forest), just norht of the bridge)--maybe an hour??
-there is also a great inn up in the hills overlooking SF that would be a great spot for popping the question. I cannot remember the name, but it is about 20 min norht of the bridge

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 10:36 AM

Prez,

I suggest you look at hotels.com or something similar and book your last 3 nights ASAP!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 09:51 PM

My best friend stayed at the Harbour Court hotel last year. Got it through Priceline too. She said it was a great hotel, very comfortable bed but small rooms (as most rooms will be in SF.) She didn't like the location however, because there weren't many tourists around at night. Like you, she switched after a few days to the Warwick Regis (also Priceline) in Union Square and liked the location better (more central) but the hotel less. Hope that helps.
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 02:25 AM

Just want to add: The best part about my 10th anniversary was my husband planning a surprise trip to San Francisco.

You've got it even better - you have that wonderful city as the place you can celebrate ALL of your anniversaries, if you choose.

Lucky you!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much everyone! I have decided to book the Argonaut just in case I can't get a hotel room on priceline. The hotel itself looks wonderful, I think she'll love it. Thanks again!
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

One more thing, Linda or anyone else, where can we rent bikes to go across the GG Bridge? Also, can you bring those bikes onto the ferry to return?

Lastly, does anyone know anything about the Greyline tours in SF. Since we don't have a car, we are looking into taking one of the tours that offers the standard city tour and includes Muir Woods. Any thoughts? Are they open air?
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 06:29 AM

I would suggest that you rent a car for 1/2 a day and drive to Muir woods. Orbitz.com is good for car rental deals. Get the smallest car you can fit in and feel reasonably comfy - it's less than 30 minutes drive.

Reasons:

1)costs will be the same or less than two tour tickets
2)it allows you to get there before the teeming hordes arrive (shoot towards getting there by 9am)
3) it allows you to spend as little or as much time there as you want.
4) It's an easy drive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -