San Francisco - Need help planning trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, would like some advice. I will be flying into San Francisco on October 2nd for 8 nights. I would like to spend some time in SF along with seeing 2 other places. The choices are Sonoma, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, and Monterey/Carmel. Would like to hear some opinions on what you would choose. Also to take into consideration during this period is the weather. Is it possible for snow at that time in Tahoe or Yosemite. My wife and I are 40 years old and are mainly interested in sightseeing. How is the traffic in the San Francisco area and also in those other areas. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 02:05 PM

There shouldn't be any snow in Yosemite or lake Tahoe in October, but the temperatures might be chilly or they might be warm, it's a transitional month, so you never know.

SF, Sonoma and Monterey should have nice weather - sunny, not hot.

IMO, you can't really go wrong with any of the choices. It really just depends on what you want - mountains, coast or wine country.

Traffic in the SF area can be a bit tough. While you are in SF, you would probably do better without a car since the city isn't all that big, parking can be a bear, and the public transportation system is pretty good.

The rest of the areas, you shouldn't have much of a problem since the summer tourist season will be over, although fall is harvest time in the wine country, so it is likely to be crowded up there.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 02:22 PM

I would put them in this order:

Yosemite
Tahoe (never been to North, only South)
Monterey
Sonoma

Old Jul 29th, 2003, 04:41 PM

We spent 2 weeks last October visiting Lake Tahoe, Napa/Sonoma, San Francisco, and Yosemite. There were NO crowds at that time of year, and the foliage was beautiful in Tahoe and Yosemite. The weather was mostly sunny and sometimes brisk (but, you never know). A great time to visit any of those areas in your list, IMO. Just be mindful of the mileage between them, and don't try to see too many different sites, or you'll spent your entire 8 days in the car looking out the window.
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:30 AM

You really can't go wrong with any of your choices. #1 If you don't have to do not drive in SF, don't. I have been here for ten years. The City is confusing even for non-tourists. Rent a car when you are ready to leave the City ther are tons of rental locals in the City. #2 Depending on how much you want to drive and your priorites. Wine or nature. Sonoma is one of my favorite places less tourists than Napa. Head up to Russian River and out to the coast. Between Tahoe and Yosemite I would probably pick Yosemite, but both are beautiful.