Search

San Francisco Itinerary???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco Itinerary???

Hi folks!

First of all thanks to everyone who's been posting on this site... you're info has been a great help than words can express!!!

Secondly, here's the itinerary I've developed so far... can anyone please provide comments/feedback? (I know that this has been covered 10,000 times, but after reviewing all of those, this is the best that I could come up with)

Thanks!

Monday - arrive at 2pm, spend the evening walking around San Fran afoot.

Tuesday - Alcatraz in the am, Sausilito in the afternoon

Wednesday - San Fran afoot (possibly a tour)

Thursday - We finally get a car and head to the Jelly Belly Co in Fairfield, then spend the afternoon once again strolling around San Fran

Friday - 49 Mile Drive & Lombard Street, then head to Big Basin Forest for a while and drive a bit of Big Sur (staying in Monterey from here on out)

Saturday-Monday - Monterey/Carmel/Santa Cruz

Tuesday - Fly Home {

Well.. whatcha think? Any comments? Questions? Concerns?

Thanks a million for all of your help/info/support!!!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:06 AM

The Jelly Belly Factory? Been there and though you get free bags of the defective (defective in shape only) jelly bellies I can't see leaving SF on a weekday morning to go to Fairfield. You must have a thing for Jelly Bellies Beside you have to wear that goofy paper hat
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:26 AM

Sounds good except for Friday - the 49 mile drive, plus Big Basin, plus Big Sur is A LOT of driving. I'd skip the 49 mile drive, do Lombard on foot a different day, and just head down to Big Basin right after breakfast.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 11:53 AM

The Jelly Belly Factory kind of jumps out at me also--it seems kind of random. I have never been there--I am sure it is cool!

Sounds like a really fun vacation--be sure to check out Chinatown in your walking travels. I will second what J_Correa says about Friday being a little too busy. I would also agree that Lombard Street should be done by foot--there is no parking there. The cable car passes by the top of Lombard. You could get off there, walk down, and take photos from the bottom (looking up at the curvy section).
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:03 PM

Remember to make advance reservations for Alcatraz!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:04 PM

Great itinerary. But I agree with JCorrea and kikahead, Jelly Belly will eat up 5+ hours and 49 mile drive can easily be replaced by going to Big Basin by way of Hwy 35 to Hwy 9. You will get plenty of Redwoods on that route and then beach/ocean while in Monterey & Carmel. For 2-3 days of SF touring, be sure to include Fisherman's Wharf, Chinatown and the galleries along Geary Street, but you can skip Pier 39. Just my opinion, overall you have done a great job in planning. Enjoy.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:14 PM

There is a movie on Pier 39 on the 2nd floor above the aquarium, anybody seen it? I always take out-of-towners there to see the city's history, to experience the earthquake. The lights go out, the chair shakes, it's a great (and a bit scary) experience.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:16 PM

There are some sights and neighborhoods on the 49 mile drive that are great - and some that are a pure waste of time.

If you decide to do it, I'd pick it up on the Embarcadero (the boulevard that is bayside just below the Bay Bridge) and carry it through to the Great Highway (the beachfront boulevard that fronts the Pacific) - everything after that is just useless driving. No one really needs to see Cesar Chavez (Army) Street.

But like I said, you will pass through some cool neighborhoods and some good sites like the Palace of the Legion of Honor, the Presidio, the Palace of Fine Arts, the Cliff House - all places you may want to park and walk about a bit.

For a local look at places you might want to check out while in the city, check out http://www.mistersf.com

And know that Lombard isn't really the crookedest street in the city (local secret!) - the real winner is Vermont street (http://www.mistersf.com/high/index.html?highvermont.htm) - fun to discover, but not as pretty as Lombard.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 12:36 PM

Faina, you have a slightly evil streak > !! Having been through Whittier, Big Bear, Landers AND Northridge since I've lived here, I can probably skip that movie, thanks.

Am I a total choad for admitting that I kinda LIKE the Wharf...? Kitschy fun for sure, but it's still fun!
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 01:28 PM

Dear Yonker,

Can I be one of RJW's personalities too? Will pack fudge if necessary.

Bob,

With all the walking yr doing, make sure you hit the Golden Gate bridge on foot, being out surrounded by the enormous bridge and bay is awesome.

Also, there's a merry go round at Yerba Buena Gardens which is always fun if you're into merry go rounds. I don't know when you'll be in SF, but the Chagall show at MOMA was great. The wharf area can be touristy, but we always love huddling up on a cold day and eating clam chowder in a bread bowl...then getting some homemade candy and going to bark at the sea lions.

Check out Natural Bridges beach in Santa Cruz...beautiful area and there's tide pools.

Have fun!

love
roxy
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 01:45 PM

roxy: You go ahead! I'm tired packing fudge anyway. Just remember that bubble pack keeps the ones with marshmallow topping from getting crushed.

My various personalities send kisses from (finally) sunny Santa Monica!!

>) O > 8-)
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 01:56 PM

RJW, that's impressive! You laugh and cry at the same time!

Fudge... reminds me: families are like fudge, mostly sweet with a few nuts.

How do I make emoticons for tossing at all of you rice-a-roni?
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 02:38 PM

Excuse me? I think I know more about those tossed salads.