San Francisco in august

Jan 15th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

San Francisco in august

Hello all,

I may have an opportunity to get a home near San FRancisco in august 2005. To me, San Francisco sounds unique but I am a bit afraid because our trip should last 3 weeks. I don't know if there is so many things to do in San Francisco.

I plan to stay 1 week in SAn Francisco and two weeks getting around. Does it seem good ? FYI, we went to Sydney and it was great.

We should stay in Sausalito. I saw that it is outside from SAn Francisco. Is it a good location to visit the city everyday? Do we need to rent a car when we stay in SAusalito?
How long should we stay in Francisco ?

What are the must do in Francisco ? What else could we do around this region (parks, wine country, city to visit...).

Thanks for your help,

oliver
Jan 15th, 2005, 10:50 AM

I think there is quite a bit to do using SAn Francisco as a base to keep you occupied for 3 weeks. There are lots of places for day trips--including Saucelito, Napa and Sonoma wine country, Muir Woods, Point Reyes, Half Moon Bay and others. The city itself has some wonderful neighborhoods for exploring and lots of great restaurants.
Jan 15th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Three weeks is a perfect amount of time to explore San Francisco and the surrounding area at a leisurely pace. Sausalito is the closest city to San Francisco once you cross the Golden Gate Bridge. Depending on where you are staying in Sausalito, it should only be a 10 minute drive into San Francisco.

There is public transportation (Golden Gate Transit (www.goldengatetransit.org) from Marin County (where Sausalito is) into the city. If you were staying anywhere north of Sausalito, I would say, not to rely on it because it is very slow and infrequent. However, from Sausalito, the bus should be very easy. Also, there is ferry service from Sausalito into downtown San Francisco which is more reliable. So, you could actually go to SF without needing a car.

In and around the Bay Area there is a lot to do. Close to Sausalito, there is the Marin Headlands http://www.nps.gov/goga/mahe/ with beautiful views and hikes. There is also Point Reyes, Muir Woods, Mt. Tamalpais. Further north (1.5 hours drive) there is Napa Valley where you can go wine tasting, eat at great restaurants, and have spa treatments.

South of San Francisco, you can drive along the coast and visit Monterey, Carmel, and Big Sur.

If you want to go a little further away, Yosemite and Lake Tahoe are 3-4 hours drive away. If you do go to Yosemite, I advise making arrangements now as lodging is often reserved up to a year in advance.

Good Luck! There is plenty to do to occupy your time.
Jan 15th, 2005, 08:07 PM

Don't worry about getting bored. We had only been there twice for very short stays when we rented an apartment for a full month -- in August -- about 10 years ago. We had a ball. We did a lot of walking (although we had a car and took busses a lot), and I can assure you my legs have never been stronger. We didn't get bored in the month, so I can't imagine getting bored in a week.
Jan 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM

Remember it will be cold and foggy in August, especially in SF and Sausalito, but warm and even hot outside of the city. Most often, the hotter it is in the valley, the more fog is pulled in through the golden gate bridge.
Jan 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM

>>>We should stay in Sausalito. I saw that it is outside from SAn Francisco. Is it a good location to visit the city everyday?<<<

I don't know if the first sentence is really "should we stay in Sausalito". If it is, then my opinion is a big NO!!!! There is a lot more to do in SF than anywhere else. You could spend 3 weeks amusing yourself, and never leave SF. If you stay in Sausalito, you will be bored after about 3 hours.

Stu Dudley
San Mateo (San Francisco), Ca
Jan 17th, 2005, 07:20 AM

I would not stay outside SF with the plan to go into the city every day. You will spend a lot of time and/or money travelling back and forth. If you stay in SF, you will not need a car. In fact, SF is better without a car. Just get MUNI pass (public transportation) and you are set.

For the 2 weeks outside SF, I am unclear whether you plan to still base yourself in SF, in another location, or take a road trip.
Jan 17th, 2005, 08:21 AM

Stu: I think you may have misunderstood tignard. Reading the post in total it seems they have the chance to have a house in Sausalito for three weeks. I think the two "should's" are probably "will". (We WILL stay in Sausalito -- and -- our trip WILL last three weeks)

tignard: If that is what you mean, do not worry. Sausalito is a VERY nice place. It is just not right in San Francisco. You lose a little not being in the center of the city. But you gain having a wonderful view towards the city.

You do not need a car to go to or tour in San Francisco. But to get to a lot of other places like the wine country, north or south along the seashore, or other places, you would need a car.

So you might think about not renting a car for the first week and use buses and the ferry to go back and forth to San Francisco and wander around Sausalito.

Then for the second and third weeks you can rent a car to take day trips around northern California.