San Mateo/SF trip 1st week of Oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is traveling for business and I will be joining him. Their apt where we can stay free is in San Mateo. I am the traveler/CA child - he is NOT (ironic). I haven't been to this area although I did spend an extended weekend in Carmel/Monterrey/Big Sur 5 years ago. Questions:

I plan to fly in Wed evening to SF and rent us a car. Here are potential plans which I'd be grateful for comments/suggestions.

1) Thursday on my own - City Pass and public transportation through San Francisco. He may join me for Blue and Gold Fleet evening cruise since it's been recommended several times.

2) Friday: We want to see redwoods and I'm thinking Muir woods for the day and then into San Fran that night for vampire tour. (He loves them - and I love him.)

3) Saturday: Napa Valley - from many of your comments - Silverado Trail seems the way to go and he doesn't like wine but will enjoy the tours. An added bonus - I have a designated driver.

Sunday - we have to be at the airport at 3. I'm considering saving the Aquarium - if it's a great one since we own a small sea salt tank and love them.

Addt'l Questions:

1) San Mateo will be home base. Is this going to hurt us since we are increasing our drive at times? Is there one night we should splurge on a hotel to make the trip more enjoyable.

2) We thought about Yosemite but thought it would be too much (I may return another time before April and visited as a child.) If you think it's a better day then Muir then we'll replan. I'm guessing it couldn't be added to the other excursions.

3) I've visited TONS of tour sites. Will some of these make our trip less difficult and more efficient? Any recommendations would be helpful.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:36 AM

The aquarium - are you talking about the one at Pier 39 or the one at Golden Gate Park? The one at Pier 39 is ok - the main attraction is a tunnel that goes under the tanks, which is cool, but the aquarium itself is pretty small. The one in Golden Gate Park - I am not sure of the status of that aquarium. There is a lot of construction over there and I am not sure if the aquarium is open. Check the web site to see.

From the additional questions:

1. Whether or not to stay in SF one night or spend the entire time in San Mateo is kind of a toss up. San Mateo lodging is free, so that more than makes up for any gas and parking charges for driving into SF. You also wont have to repack, unpack, and repack if you stay in the same place. On the other side, there is a lot to be said about being IN SF because you will be able to spend more of your time sightseeing rather than driving.

2. Yosemite as a day trip makes for a REALLY long day. You will be at least 8 hours in the car, which doesn't leave much time to actually see Yosemite. I would save it for another trip. An alternative to Muir Woods is the Santa Cruz mountains, which are about the same distance from San Mateo as Muir Woods, possibly closer. Big Basin has some nice old grove redwoods.

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM

I'd say with such limited time, skip Yosemite.
Since you will be down on the Penninsula consider some great stops there like Filoli-impressive gardens and home in Woodside.

You might slaso consider going to Big Basin down Santa Cruz way to see the Redwoods.I would say to consider this as well unless you will go from Muir Woods to the city for the Vampire Tour you will be spending alot of time in the car driving back to SM after the woods and before the tour then back into the city.

Napa~great you have a designated driver. I think folks(I do) prefer the Silverado Trail as it is generally less congested than Hwy 29. Plan on having lunch somewhere up there as well. Check out Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen in St. Helena.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 01:07 PM

If you are going to Muir Woods and Napa Valley, I'd suggest spending one night north of San Francisco.

Skip Big Basin as that will take you in the opposite direction. Big Basin is another day trip, just like Yosemite.

If you really want to get into redwoods, Muir Woods has some hikes away from the well-worn paths and you can get the same kind of experience hiking those more difficult trails as you would at Big Basin.

Furthermore, if you spend some a night north of San Francisco, you could visit both the Sonoma Valley and the Napa Valley.

Just a few stray thoughts. Whatever you plan, it'll be a fun trip!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:15 PM

Big Basin is roughly an hour from San Mateo - I wouldn't really equate a trip there with a trip to Yosemite with regard to time. Big Basin can be a day trip if you choose to do some real hiking or make stops along the way.

Muir Woods makes sense if they are doing other things north of SF the same day.

Otherwise, it is a toss up time-wise. Roughly an hour to Muir Woods from San Mateo as well. Muir Woods is physically closer, but you have to go through SF to get there, so it takes about the same amount of time.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:54 PM

J-correa is absolutely correct in her time assessments.

I should have explained further: Big Basin is not a dash in, dash out kind of place. Once you are there, you should plan on a full day at Big Basin to enjoy it fully. Yosemite is an even "bigger" trip, timewise.

Muir Woods, on the other hand, can be done in a half day, so you could combine it with visits to other places north of SF, such as Sonoma Valley, etc.

My point was that everything you want to see is north of San Mateo, so it makes more sense to combine sights in that region rather than making a separate trip southbound to Big Basin, which doesn't fit in with the rest of your activities.

It's a tough choice. California has so much to offer!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

I'm SO grateful and have some good ideas now!! Thanks so much
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:39 AM

Definitely a tough choice because there are so many things to do and see. I think mrs2003 should just plan 2 trips (or more) to this area.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Germany and that's what we decided - we will just have to go back a 2nd time so we can see more stuff because otherwise it would be impossible to choose an itinerary.