San Francisco in 5 days

Search

San Francisco in 5 days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco in 5 days

We are coming again to SF in 5 days. Have been there twice - was looking for some out of the way places that we may have missed. Also, looking for any plays/musicals that are going on now. Also, had thought of renting a car one day and driving up Hwy 1 (been south) - is that a bad ideal because of weather? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jean
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Do a search on "Stu Dudley" on this US forum & you'll find some suggestions for things to do & see that are a bit non-typical. My most recent discovery is the coastal trail in SF - beautiful.

We've having pretty wierd weather right now. Wait till you get here before deciding on a car & a drive up north. One of my past posts has details about a scenic drive north of SF.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 10:37 AM

<<We've having pretty wierd weather right now.>>

How's that going Stu? The headlines look very ominous.
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
dmlove

Pretty weird weather, Stu? That's an understatement. I stepped in a puddle 6 inches deep in the middle of a paved parking lot this afternoon. Yesterday, I walked 2-1/2 blocks in San Francisco and my slacks didn't dry for six hours! But it has quieted down and now it's just plain old rain.

Old Jan 5th, 2008, 08:59 PM

In my neighbornood, the saws that cut through trees have been running 24 hrs per day. I headed out to Prime Time last night & El Camino Real was closed just north of Burlingame Ave - had to do a by-pass.

Just got back from Fish & Farm restaurant in SF - things seem to be a bit settled now. We'll see what happenns tomorrow.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

What plays/musicals would you recommend? Also, can anyone tell me about the butterflies south of SF, and is it worth a trip, and could this be a day trip? Thanks, Jean
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM

Might be too early for the butterflies. Check out a Pacific Grove visitor website.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Who answers a post with "search my name"???

Good work Stu
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM

The drive to Pacific Grove/Monterrey makes for a very long one day round trip. Do-able but could be overkill.

The grove where they roost is not very large, so one doesn't hike around much. On a cool grey day you can't see much. They are way high up in the eucalytpus and their wings are folded in so the greyish side shows. But on days when it warms up, it is magical. Don't know how much time one would really spend there craning their neck. The nearby beach area are nice, and one could spend the whole day at the aquarium.

Perhaps there is a Monarch web site that could tell you where other roosting sites are closer to SF. I don't know any myself.

If you are up for a day of driving, with lunch in the Pacific Grove Monterey area, you could do it.
If that's the case, we could give you ideas on where to stop to stretch your legs on the way.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 08:59 PM

Oops - Now, looking at your dates, I see that you are porbably leaving SF today.

Nevermind.

Hope you had fun!