San Francisco hotel safe area?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used priceline for a hotel and I kept bidding on Union Square but it got too high. I changed to airport location and finally got a bid accepted. Now I am worried about the area. The hotel is:

Embassy Suites Hotel San Francisco
Airport/Burlingame
150 Anza Boulevard
Burlingame, California

Is this a safe area? Please help! I will be there during the womens nike marathon and I'm sure most of the union square hotels must have been sold out.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:22 AM

If you are planning to actually visit and tour San Francisco, then it's completely impractical to stay at the airport. It's kind of irrelevant as to whether this area is safe or not. Be aware that the airport is relatively far from San Francisco, and it's not exactly an easy trip because you won't have easy access to mass transit. Unless you have rented a car, this is a horrible choice. Stay in San Francisco. There are a lot of hotels in San Francisco that are reasonably priced and many really good ones under $200 (sometimes well under). Even on a busy weekend, you should be able to find something. An article in the NY Times over the weekend listed several. There are many cheap hotels recommended on this very web site. Personally, I've never spent more than $150 a night for a hotel in San Francisco.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Since you have already bid and accepted a hotel near the airport, you are stuck with it. Just make the best of it. It's in a safe area. Just wondering what you bid & got? We've stayed at the Doubletree near the airport and bid around $40.

There's an area nearby with lots of restaurants -- I believe it is on Broadway.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 06:39 AM

Now that rapid transit goes all the way to SFO, it's not nearly the inconvenient option that it used to be regarding visiting the city. In fact, on weekend when airport hotels can be had for 1/3 the price of city hotels, it can be a decent bargain choice to schlep back and forth.

The major problem for you is that the hotel is tired and in need of renovation. So be prepared to be unimpressed. With a priceline room you probably won't get a bayview room, but beg for an upgrade and enjoy the view. It's a safe and improving area, which is your main concern I'm sure, and there are walking paths along the bay that are very pleasant. Free breakfast and wine hour are an added bonus. This hotel is also a really quick and easy hop to and from the airport.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I am grateful that it is in a decent area. We are renting a car and the hotel does have free parking so I guess that is a big bonus as well. I am a little disappointed that the hotel needs renovating. I actually was accepted with an $80.00 bid so I hope that is ok.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask about parking for when we go to union square and fishermans wharf. Is there a "better" place to park? Would we be better off riding a trolley or bus?
Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 01:13 PM

You should have the Embassy's Shuttle take you to the airport BART so you can take BART to Union Square. BART goes right to Union Square to the CAble CAr turn around even. Driving there, finding and paying for parking in the city can be a pain.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Ditto above suggestion. Arriving by Bart at Market Street, then onto the cable cars is easy. Driving and parking it not.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM

tammy, if you take BART from SFO get off at the BART Powell St, station. The cablecar line is right there at the northside of Market at Powell St. Also on Market St., is the F Line, the trolley's that will take you on Market going east to the Ferry Bldg., along the Emcarcadero heading north and consequently to Fisherman's Wharf.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly! Hey.. it's you! You helped me so much last year when I came for the nike marathon!! Last year it ended up only being me and the girls I ran with and we stayed at the Galleria at Union square and really didn't venture out of that area... no car or anything. We didn't want to exert too much energy before the HILLY race!!! This year I really wasn't sure I was going to be able to do the race but Hubby and I are coming and this will be his first time to San Francisco and we are renting a car. The sad news is our hotel is in the airport area. I am going to end up doing the race but am just doing the half marathon this time instead of whole and I want to enjoy San Francisco more this time. Thanks everyone for your kind suggestions and support!
Tammy Z.
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 05:05 AM

Burlingame is extremely safe and pretty. My brother lives there--it is quite the quaint little town.

Easy to get into town on the BART--just go ahead and study the public transportation routes.

I taught myself the bus system a couple of years ago. It is a pretty easy system to get to the main sites.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm so glad to hear that we are in a pleasant area. Thanks so much for your help. We are leaving in the morning.. that would be Thursday. Does anyone know if there is a parking garage anywhere near niketown or Macys? Does the mall charge to park there or would it still be better to take bart? The expo that we need to go to is near Macys. Thanks!!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:21 PM

There is a large parking garage right across from Macy's underneath Union Square.

Have a great trip!
Old Oct 18th, 2006, 08:21 PM

Hi tammy, welcome back to SF!! Macy's is not in a mall, it is along Geary St., between Stockton and Powell. There are garages around but the parking is expensive. Taking BART, getting off at the Powell St. BART station, walking up Powell going north just a few blocks will bring you to Powell and Geary.

The closest parking lot to Macy's is right across the street from Macy's on the north side of Geary between Stockon and Powell St. That is the Union Square Parking Lot.

Enjoy your time..let us know how it goes. Best regards!