San Francisco hotel near transportation

Apr 20th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

San Francisco hotel near transportation

My daughter and I will be staying in the San Francisco area 2 nights during a trip to California. We want to stay where we will feel safe, but also near public transportation. I have seen many reasonably priced hotels near the airport, but is transporation within walking distance? What about a Hampton Inn in Daly City? I considered the Fisherman's Wharf area since it is close to all attractions, but prices are high, plus the cost of parking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Apr 20th, 2003, 10:27 PM

check out www.columbusmotorinn.com, very close to Fisherman's Wharf and their rates include parking.

There are several hotels on Lombard street that have free or low-rate parking, and are walking distance to bus or trolley.
Apr 21st, 2003, 07:40 AM

Most of the airport hotels have free shuttles to the nearby Caltrain Station. Caltrain is a very convenient option into town. The Villa and Clarion Hotels have a convenient location and are nice properties.

http://www.rezcenter.com/usa/san-mateo_CA/hotels/SFO_VIAI.html

http://www.rezcenter.com/usa/san-jos.../SFO_CLAR.html
Apr 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM

Suggest you stay in SF. You only have two days, and you will need to minimize traveling in/out of the city, which can be a decided hassle. There're many safe areas in the city. Have you considered using Priceline for a hotel? Go to www.biddingfortravel.com for a tutorial on how to use PL. The hotels in the Union Square East-Embarcadero area are good bets.

Is there any way you could ditch the car before arriving in SF? If not, the hotel may be able to direct you to a nearby public garage. CalTrain is an option if you stay outside the city, but the station in SF is not centrally located and will require a cab ride, a long walk, or a transfer to the Muni system to reach the downtown area.
Apr 21st, 2003, 02:14 PM

People here have reported getting the Hyatt Regency for under $100 on Priceline. If you can get it that would be an excellent option. Take the Embarcadero trolley to Fishermen's Wharf, the California St cable car stops right outside, muni and Bart run up Market St., you can walk to North Beach and Chinatown.
Apr 21st, 2003, 05:15 PM

To each their own, but I would never recommend commuting into San Francisco from the airport or another outlying location if your primary reason for going is to see San Francisco. It's a fabulous city and while there certainly are some of the typical city issues with panhandlers, etc., it is by no means overwhelming or particularly "unsafe" in the areas you'll want to see.

We've picked up some decent deals in the Fisherman's Wharf area over the past couple of years; just keep looking. You might want to consider making a "provisional" reservation that you can cancel without penalty while you're digging for a better deal. The suggestion for Priceline is not bad, either. As an alternative, you can often find internet specials directly from some of the chain websites, too.

San Francisco is a wonderful place to visit. My opinion, FWIW: Don't miss part of the experience by choosing the comparitively sterile, generic environment of an airport hotel. You'd be giving up more in value than you would be saving.
Apr 21st, 2003, 06:01 PM
Bootman4U

I agree..if you can get a downtown hotel at a reasonable price do not stay out at the airport in SAN BRUNO!!!!! And I would definitely NOT rent a car...get a MUNI Pass and use that to get around on the trolleys, cable cars, etc. You'll have PLENTY to see and do in two days without having to worry about FINDING a parking place.

Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:05 AM

DON'T STAY AT THE AIRPORT!! I would agree with the above posters--stay in the Embarcadero and use Priceline. A cable car line and most Muni lines stop in the Embarcadero (financial district). The area is WAY safe and you are 5 minutes from Union Square and the Wharf. You are also in the midst of great restaurants as well as near a small shopping center. Walking around this area at night is safe. The value you get staying at the airport is not worth the ambiance you lose.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 09:20 AM

Staying at the airport when you visit San Francisco is a lot like going to Manhattan, but staying in Yonkers, (or hec k, even out by JFK)

Yeah, it's only half an hour into the city, but that's an hour you spend back and forth each day. There's no running back to your hotel to get something, or to take a nap.

Additionally, Caltrans won't be of much help navigating the city of SF, and the Cal Train station isn't close to downtown, it's a good long walk.

I'd check Hotwire and Priceline to see what you can find.

Don't forget to bring your sweaters.
Apr 22nd, 2003, 07:07 PM

I'd strongly recommend Cow Hollow Motor Inn, Chelsea, or Coventry --three properties with rates well below $100 and with easy and efficient bus transportation. In addition since you are apparently on a budget, there are lots of restaurants in the Cow Hollow area with great food at really reasonable prices and a younger feel to the whole neighborhood.