Reload this Page >

San Francisco Hotel Comparison

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:13 AM
barry

My wife and I will be in SF in Spring 2003 and are considering either the Canterbury Hotel or the Cartwright Hotel for our stay. Are there any positive/negative factors about either which we should consider when making our decision?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Mona

Both of these properties are in Union Square, which happens to be a somewhat less than desirable location. Are there any other places that you are looking into?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Tom

Barry,

If you look through many San Francisco posts you'll find a common thread: Mona bashing Union Square. I have stayed in Union Square at least twenty times and enjoy the area immensely.

Unfortunately, I have not stayed at either of the properties you've mentioned but I felt I must chime in anyway before Mona got you to doubt your choice of area.

Tom

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Patty

I agree with Tom regarding the Union Sq area. I'm curious to know what Mona considers 'desirable'.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:03 PM
lizbeth

Can't speak for the Canterbury, but I directed a business associate to the Cartwright a few years back and she liked it very well. It's a very small property, a real "boutique" hotel. The rooms vary in size, most of them medium/small, but prettily decorated and not at all a corporate chain type place. The location of both the Cartwright and the Canterbury is good - it's close to the cable cars, shopping, etc. of Union Square and walking distance to Chinatown. I'm under the impression that the Canterbury is or was a Best Western property - if they still are, check the BW website for specials.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 06:57 PM
Mona

Tom, I have lived in SF for many years and love this city. Why on earth would I be bashing my own city? I am just giving Barry an honest asessment about Union Square.

Barry, Please ignore Tom/Patty. He just can't deal with people who happen to have an opinion that is not in sync with his.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:16 AM
Betsy

Barry, before you make your final decision, go to www.biddingfortravel.com, scroll down to hotels and check out Priceline's SF offers. PL offers great 4-star hotels in SF for very low prices.

I'm not connected with PL or BFT in any way, just am a happy customer.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Dori

I stayed at the Cartwright a couple of years ago. I thought it was wonderful. It's a small, european style boutique hotel. Incidently, I thought it was in a fabulous location.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
Susan

SF is my home town. Union Square is in the center of the commercial/ tourist areas, which can be easily reached on foot, bus(semi easily. But it's CRAWLING w/ tired-looking tourists who haven't figured out I always assumed that there are other much more scenic and interesting things to see in SF. (My point is don't spend too much time there) Also, what Mona might be referring to is that a high crime, seedy area called the Tenderloin feeds off of Union Sq. and is worth avoiding.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 02:40 PM
Susan

PS what I meant in the first part is that OTHER areas of SF like Chinatown and N. Beach are easily reached FROM Union Sq.