San Francisco help

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Jan

San Francisco help

I have just found out that the Bay to Breakers race is on the very weekend we are to be vacationing in San Francisco. Can someone please advise me? Will we be in gridlock with all the extra people and activity in the city?
I have had a hard time even finding a hotel for Sat 18th and Sun 19th.
We will be flying into Sacramento late on friday and will pick up a rental car there. Plan to stay out of city friday night and come into city early saturday morning.
Have reserved a room at Tuscan Inn at Fishermans Wharf.
Will we have trouble getting around or getting into restuarants on these 2 days?
Jan

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:02 AM
George

As soon as you get where you're going, park your car and leave it for the balance of your stay. SF has excellent public transportation. Use it and save yourself a lot of grief. And, as in any metropolitan area on a weekend, use reservations where possible.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Steve

For a runner's perspective, try here:

http://kicksports.com/runclubfiles/runningclub.html

Although to post, you have to register.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Susan

Check out www.baytobreakers.com and have a look at the route map. If you are staying in Fisherman's Wharf you won't be near enough to the route that your ability to move around will be impeded. Ferries to Alcatraz, cable cars, etc. should all be as accessible as normal. Golden Gate Park will be tied up all day on Sunday but there is plenty else to see, and by Monday all will be back to "normal" again.

George is right, park your car in the city and walk or take public transportation around the city.

Definitely get somewhere on the route at some point on Sunday so you can check out the wild costumes (and those sans costumes ;-)), etc.

May is a busy time for tourism in SF, so it's not surprising the hotel rooms were tough to secure. But you are in a good place. Shouldn't impact too much on your trip. Enjoy!

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:12 AM
kal

Jan,
Hello from the Sacto area!

We've been to the "B2B" on numerous occasions and yes..it is a zoo! But a lot of fun. Shouldn't hassle you too much since it is off Market St area and out to G'Gate/Ocean Parks...A def. "R" rated race/event but soooo SF! Watch out for flying tortillas!

Mrs. Kal and sis/bros have actually run in it 3 times...fully clothed, of course!(Some VERY weird "costumes" tho).
May be worth a view from one of the routes?

Suggestion: If you're driving down from Sac on I-80, you may wish to cut over thru Napa/Sonoma on Hwy 12 near Cordelia Junction or Hwy 37 thru Vallejo and hook up with Hwy 101 at Novato and come in from the north over the Golden Gate since the Tuscan is near F'Wharf.

Once you get in SF you can snake your way around to the F/Wharf-Tuscan Inn. If Lombard St(Crookedest street)is open to thru traffic you can go down it and prob turn L. on Leavenworth then R on No Point to The Tuscan.

If you come in on the Bay Bridge you may get caught in traffic from Richmond on in and then have to wind your way around The Embarcadero to The Wharf. Early Sat may not be a prob, tho.

We've stayed at the Tuscan a few times and enjoyed it.
Have fun.
Kal

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 09:25 AM
L

SF is always busy. I never drive there.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:30 PM
xyz

San Francisco's public transportation, I would have to say, is quite unreliable. On numerous occasions I have had to wait almost 1 hour for a bus that was supposed to come every 15-20 minutes. Nothing compares to the public transportaion in New York City or Philadelphia.