New Orleans Fairgrounds Race Track

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 05:31 AM
bennie

New Orleans Fairgrounds Race Track

My husband wants to go to the horse races while in NO. Don't ask me why because he never goes at home but its our second honeymoon trip so I guess he's allowed. Anyway can anyone give me some idea of what to expect. Also we won't have a car and will probably go there by cab in the afternoon. Is this our best bet?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 06:32 AM
Black Cat LaCombe

Gawd, come and see fer yourshelf. De best food, races, fun, excitement. You may even see Pete Fountain dare. Take a taxie, come for lunch and get some cornbeef and cabbage. Ask around for Black Cat, if you see me, tell Buddy D, he would want to know. You and the hubby will have fun, make friends, and enjoy yourself,

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 07:57 AM
bennie

Oh good I was hoping to make some new friends. As a Bostonian I am going to try hard not to be rude and to engage as many strangers in small talk and idle chatter as possible. Maybe someone will comment on my new coat and I'll feel much better about my self.

Seriously - is this place unsafe or just full of locals who won't bother us?

In the alternative can someone recommend a spa where I can go while DH experiences the racetrack?

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:05 AM
Me Again

You need to go to Da Track. It is full of fine peoples, and good times. It is most likely the safest place as you will see all the security. Locals and visitors go and all have fun. Save the SPA for after da races. Me I'm so cute I need no SPA. Get a button that says- Black Cat Sent Me, and all sorts of people will ax you where you got da button and want one too.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Info

Here's a web page full of info:
http://www.fgno.com/

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 08:43 AM
bennie

Hey Info - gee a web address why didn't I think of that? Now I know that everyone in NO likes to spend Thanksgiving at the racetrack and that if I go there on March 2 I could get a free hat.

What I want to know is am I going to get mugged? But I'm sure I'll be safe if I wear my Black Cat pin and look for my new friend.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM
MsCleo

Even I do not know if you will ever get mugged. But all public places in New Orleans provide extra security. The Fairgrounds has fenced parking, big lights, security guards, police, and thousands of visitors a year that go with not a bit of trouble. The New Grandstand is a glass windowed building with closed circuit TV and year round climate control. No one I know has ever complained except about the horses. Now ask me what to bet on?