CIRQUE DE SOLEIL-LAS VEGAS

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 05:55 PM
don

CIRQUE DE SOLEIL-LAS VEGAS

Planning my firsty trip to Vegas in April and want to go to a great show. I've read how great both "O" and Mystere are. What kind of shows are these actually? I've seen Cirque de Soleil on cable networks, is their show pretty much the same? Though I find them entertaining, I'm not sure that they are my cup of tea. Any other shows that I should maybe consider?

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:02 PM
katie

search the archives in the text search box above.
this question has been reviewed dozens of times and there's much more info there than any single person can reproduce here.
the cirque shows are really beyond description. i don't think you can get a true appreciation for them at all from a two dimensional medium like tv.
the other most popular shows are blue amn group, danny gans, lance burton....

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:10 PM
don

I have done a search, and person after person says what a great show it is, but say little about the show itself as to what it is. How far in the archives do I have to go back to find out what the show is?

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:53 PM
katie

well ,you're right on that one, don.
most people do stop short of describing the actual show, but i guess i'd say that since you've seen the cable rendition, you know the basic theme.
the difference is that in the theater you have performers high over your head, around your seats (go 30 minutes early to see the whole show, as some things start before curtain), and the sense of depth is important, as well as the quality of the music.
like comparing a transistor radio to a concert in person.
all i can say is, mystere seems to appeal to all ages, both sexes, most religions.
i've rarely heard a negative comment about the show itself. prices yes, but all vegas shows are becoming very pricey.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 08:36 PM
A.M.

Hello Don,
Cirque is a extravaganza that was begun in Quebec many years ago. It now has performers from all over the world.
It is basically a totally human circus (no animals) that combines incredible acrobatics, gymnasts, high wire acts, contortionists, dancers and of course clowns, with very avantgarde singing(?) and music.
It is an unbelievable experience and, in my opinion, should not be missed. TV in no way does it justice.
Go and, I hope, be amazed.
A.M.
PS: I have seen 4 shows live.
A.M.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Ellen

I suggest 'O'. And the reason I wouldn't go into too much depth to describe is because it is unlike anything you have ever seen and unlike any other Cirque du Soleil. To tell you too much would give away the surprise and delight one experiences from this amazing performance. But, I will tell you this--the stage was built specifically for this show and there is water involved. Have fun, and please report back.

Old Jan 31st, 2002, 05:34 AM

info

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 11:58 AM
a

if you've seen cir.du.sol. on cable already then O is pretty much the same. similar acrobatic acts done in O , and half of the show is done in water (like synchronize swimming or acrobatic moves that requires tumbling into the water). i'm not moved by it, i don't think it's spectacular and i find the show quite confusing sometimes b/c there are so many people each doing an act all at once. it's hard to really concentrate on a particular one.

Old Feb 8th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Jean Valjean

Calling Cirque a "circus" is kinda like calling Dali a "painter"... (ok, kitschy phrase...)

Both shows ("O" and Mystere) are very different (or very alike, depends on your point of view). Mystere is, IMHO, more dynamic and "daring". Some of its sequences are just unbelivable. There's one in particular, two guys "carrying" each other, that will send your jaw to the floor.

"O", on the other hand, is like watching a weird dream, or a Fellini movie. It has to be seen to be believed.

Blue Man Group is something completely different. It is quite funny and surprising. If you like percussions, you will love it.