San Francisco for a day with 8 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be flying into SF on the 30th and just picking up dinner that day. Would like to take my granddaughter to the Monterey aquarium - can anyone advise length of trip? We're at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf. Any other activities along this route that we could enjoy? Although it's my first trip to SF, I'm reserving the stuff I would like for a return visit. Looking more toward what an 8 year old would enjoy (includes shopping!)

Also, any inexpensive hotels near SFO airport where I can get a room for a single night? Rates I'm finding through Sheraton/W are $300. It's a Thursday so I don't know why the room would be so expensive!

Thanks!
J
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 01:22 PM

I just checked and found any number of airport hotels from $52.00 and up.

http://tinyurl.com/c8qnwy
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM

From the Wharf to Monterey for the aquarium - about 3 to 3 1/2 hrs on March 30. The same back.

From the Wharf to Golden Gate Park and the Aquarium there - about 10 mins. There is also an excellent Planetarium, a bug show, and a rain forest - plus lots of other stuff. It's the Academy of Science. Many say the aquarium is better than Monterey's.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 04:00 PM

I'd definitely stay in SF rather than dragging the kid down to Monterey. The Academy of Sciences would be tops on my list of places to see - loved it when I was a kid and since it is newly rebuilt, it should be that much better. When I was that age, also I liked the Japanese Tea garden, riding the cable cars, going out on a boat on the bay, and walking up and down the stair-step streets The sealions at Pier 39 were neat too.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:00 PM

I've been to the Academy of Science twice in the last 6 months. Your grand daughter will love it and you can easily spend most of the day there. The aquarium has a spectacular coral reef.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:21 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't waste time driving to Monterey just for the aquarium. So much to do in SF. SF Aquarium is wonderful, as is all of GG Park.

The Exploratorium never fails to captivate kids of all ages -- even those who aren't the least bit interested in science. http://www.exploratorium.edu/ I not only took my son there when he was young, I also took my students there for field trips. If you can reserve entry to the Tactile Dome, do so: it's a total blast.

And she's got to ride on a cable car -- which can take a couple hours in itself.

Also you can rent boats to row on Stowe Lake in GG Park, which is another thing kids love to do.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM

Ditto the recommendation for the Exploratorium and the Tactile Dome. We did this with our kids a few years ago and they still talk about the Dome. (However, if you have any mobility problems, you might want to skip the Dome.)
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:05 PM

And just one more suggestion JRob if there is time, most all youngsters in my family including when I was a little one down to my grandchildren enjoy going through ChinaTown which will be close to where you are staying at Fisherman's Wharf. Even an hour would work and your granddaughter could find something to buy as a rememberance of her time with you in that area of SF. Have fun, being in SF with grandchildren is a true joy.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'm sold on staying in SF. Is the park on the same side of the bridge as I'm staying? Or would I be crossing the bridge? (problem here with bridge phobia!)
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM

Golden Gate Park is IN San Francisco. If you cross a [big] bridge, you're no longer in San Francisco.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, SF7307 - just needed to pull out a map! And thanks for the tiny url! These look like much better options than driving down to Monterey & Carmel where I've been before. I'm looking forward to all we can do in San Francisco before heading to Oahu!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. We had a great time in SF before our trip to Oahu. We used the CityPass and went to both the Exploratorium and the Academy of Science - they are wonderful! We didn't get to the cable cars but next time maybe. I enjoyed it so much that I told my daughter when we got back that we HAVE to go on a family trip to SF. CityPass also had a voucher for the Wharf Aquarium - I know...I had read don't bother before I left but it was already paid for so we went. SO disappointing. It looked like a poor work in progress. Had I not already gotten my money's worth with the pass, I probably would have requested a refund of the ticket price!

We did do Chinatown and my gd absolutely loved it...particularly as she is learning Mandarin Chinese. got an outfit and chopsticks for all her classmates. I love to bargain so we got a sweet deal for buying 25 sets.

Most everyone we encountered in SF was so helpful and friendly, it was very welcoming. Now the couple folks on the bus with some mental issues....not so much! (but that's in any city)

Thanks again - I really appreciated the tips!!