Aquarium of the Bay San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recently had a very enjoyable two-day trip to San Francisco. I took my two children, ages 11 and 14. We loved everything - Fisherman's Wharf, the California Sea Lions, cable cars, restaurants, Chinatown, Alcatraz - with one exception - the Aquarium of the Bay in Fisherman's Wharf. Walking by the place, it looks huge, with colorful murals of whales and other sea creatures on the building. I thought it was a tad expensive, but the kids wanted to go, so I spent $35 for the three of us (I had a coupon which knocked $5 off the original $40 price tag). We saw a few neat exhibits upon entering (like the silver anchovies in a round tank) and then took the elevator down to the underwater tunnel. It was surprisingly short and a few of the fish looked like they had seen better days. Then it was off to the 'hands on' area - a room filled with card tables where you could put drops of water on a penny (huh?) or do some coloring or look at a shark's jaw. After a 15-minute stroll (at a leisurely pace) we were done with the entire place. My kids kept asking, "Is that it?" and upon realizing that it was, apologized for begging to go there. Please don't waste your money. There are so many other wonderful aquariums out there (Myrtle Beach, S.C., Atlanta, Atlantic Beach, N.C., to name a few). I'm sure there's one near your city. It's a shame - a city the size of San Francisco, situated on a bay, should have a world-class aquarium. In all fairness, they're adding some exhibits in April 2009 (jelly fish and an octopus), but looking at what they've done with their other exhibits, I just don't think it will be worth your time or money.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM

Agree.

But to be fair, many places have tourists' traps.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

True. Just wanted to warn people about this particular one
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:08 PM

No offense intended, but it is at Pier 39 at Fisherman's Wharf. That should have been your first clue. You aren't the first person to be suckered in there and you won't be the last.

But thanks for the heads up.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Another agree here.

Luckily we scheduled the Exploratorium the same day, so the kids were happy. We ended up having a much better time at the Monterey aquarium. Still not as good as some of the Aquariums you listed, but definately worth the visit.
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:17 PM

It's a shame - a city the size of San Francisco, situated on a bay, should have a world-class aquarium

the city of San Francisco HAS a world class aquarium, just not the one you chose to visit.

http://www.calacademy.org/academy/index.php
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:20 PM

Agree the true aquarium is at the Academy of Sciences. And, my dear friend Josh (a pediatrician cleans those tanks on his days off!)
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM

I'm sorry you got sucked into going to that aquarium. When it openned, the underwater tunnel was highly publicized and it looked really neat from the pictures. So we went, and were very disappointed.

%
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 03:19 PM

Cant wait to see the new Academy
Old Mar 27th, 2009, 03:54 PM

We went there and took a double-move (is the people mover still there?) - you don't have to go out to start it over. But this was when they just opened, and we went for 1/2 price. I agree, it's highly overpriced now.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 08:33 AM

There's one like that in Victoria (B.C.). Just as lame, so beware of that one as well.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 09:42 AM
SAB

Like others have stated, I want people to be aware that SF does have a great aquarium, but it should never be confused with the one at the Wharf. And this SF resident, would never recommended that any visitor go to the one at the Wharf over the Steinhart in Golden Gate Park. I'm sorry that you had this experience, but experiences like this are one of the reasons many of us view the Wharf a tourist trap and try to recommend other places. I can't recall having high hopes for the place when it opened given its location and given the fact that it is run as a for profit organization.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM

We got suckered too....we just returned from a wonderful trip to SF. Our last day we decided to take the children to the aquarium. We kept thinking that there had to be more??? I guess Fisherman's Wharf should have been our clue but oh well...the rest of the trip was fabulous!
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:51 AM

I went too, but only because I had a voucher in the CityPass booklet for it. What a waste - but I think I must have been in and out in less than a half-hour. Just a suggestion - If anyone is travelling to larger cities, be sure to check out the CityPass. If you're going to several attractions/activities, it may cost you less to buy the CityPass than to pay for each one separately.