Search

San Francisco - Fairmont Hotel - recent reviews please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:12 PM
R
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco - Fairmont Hotel - recent reviews please

Thinking of doing my mom's 80th b-day celebration in San Francisco. Seriously considering the Fairmont, if we can find an okay rate. (*that* could be the challenge)
Would love to read recent reviews, since their renovations. Have read some threads here on it, but most are from pre-completed renovation. Had the impression that both the Historic wing & Tower now have renovated rooms. Any recent experiences at the Fairmont - 2003? The parking rate is just awful - $36/day?!! Any other garage to park in nearby???

Other ideas? I think my mom would enjoy the old hotel feel...with tea, etc. Other ideas? The Majestic, The Mark Hopkins, The Westin St. Francis, Parc 55, Stanford Court, the Clift, etc. Main determining factor may be prices, unfortunately.

We *had* hoped to get one 'splurgey' room, perhaps a suite for her b-day, which the whole family could all gather in & enjoy views from. Not sure how the various hotels compare on this. Suites can be so steep in price in SF!

Also, she needs an ADA room, if possible, but had the impression that the only suites w/this at the Fairmont were very high up, like 17 floors. Not sure if the view from there would just be dizzying, or enjoyable? (Saw a view from the 6th floor or so, & it was charming.)

There aren't many restaurants left at this hotel...just the Tonga room, it seems. Any other favorite restaurants very close by, suitable for a mixed-age gathering - age 1, 3, 9-12 on up to 80? My mom has mobility issues, so we'd need to take her by wheelchair to anywhere in town. (can't get around that well w/the walker) Has anybody eaten recently at the Stanford Court, the Mark, or the Ritz? Thanks for your help!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:39 PM

Sorry I can't give any "recent" advice on the Fairmont, but I can comment on the views.

I once had the pleasure of spending a week in the Penthouse (business for my father). The height was very, very good!
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:39 PM
R
Original Poster

Meant to also add the Sheraton Palace...another historic beauty. Not sure of its area, though...wouldn't Nob Hill be nicer?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 07:59 AM

Parking at the Masonic Auditorium (about one block away) may be less expensive. Tea at the Fairmont is horrible (or at least it was in 2000--they served it in a corner of the lobby). I have had holiday tea at just about every hotel in San Francisco and the best is Top of the Mark (Mark Hopkins Hotel). You have views of San Francisco (sit on the right side for views of the Golden Gate Bridge) and it is ADA accessible. It is also right across the street from the Fairmont so if that was your home base you could easily take the family up there. The Palace also does a very nice tea. What kind of food are you looking for?
I would imagine the views from the 17th floor would be AMAZING!
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 02:42 PM
R
Original Poster

Was asked what kind of food we were interested in, near the Fairmont. Flexible. Only problem is what I mentioned in the original post...a wide age range & lots of people! (about 16 including kids)

A few of us are vegatarians, too. I know the Ritz is probably nice, but is there another nice option, which wouldn't be *quite* so formal, for a group with children involved? However, we probably prefer it to be *pretty* nice, as this *is* my mom's 80th & another sister & hubby's anniversary, to boot.

Also, w/my Mom's mobility issues, we can't really go too far via the cable car, etc. I suppose some could take the cable car & others a car. Would appreciate further 'favorites' near or on Nob Hill (including the hotels), if anyone has some. Thanks!