San Francisco areas confusing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm totally confused on a couple of areas of San Francisco. Having never been to San Francisco before, we'd like to stay out of areas that are not considered safe, so in my planning, I've avoided restaurants in the Tenderloin area. A restaurant called Canteen has been suggested as a good place for breakfast, and it's on 825 Sutter. However, a review site I looked at, puts that restaurant in the Tenderloin area. I thought the Tenderloin was below Market, and the restaurant is located above Market. Has anyone eaten in this area?

Sandy
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Check out this web site - it will help you orient yourself to the different neighborhoods. For each neighborhood there is a description, some points of interest, and then a map showing the boundaries of that neighborhood.

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/

I wouldn't worry about going to breakfast in the Tenderloin neighborhood. Probably should avoid a late night dinner, but breakfast will be fine.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I don't have any qualms (as a single woman) walking around the Tenderloin in the day. Actually, I've gone to clubs there at night, too. Remember, it's not like neighborhoods have hard and fast boundaries where on one side of a street you are safe from every possible danger, but if you cross the street you'll be a certain victim.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Canteen is a new trendy place, right where the Tenderloin begins, you are right about that. Having said that, a weekend morning is the safest time to walk through the Tenderloin.

There could very well be homeless people walking about, and they may say "spare change?". You can just say "sorry, no" and walk by quickly, but if this type of interaction makes you uncomfortable, it would be better to eat breakfast someplace else.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 10:03 AM

I agree with everything everyone has said so far. There are obviously parts of the Tenderloin that are sketchier than others. I think that Pine, Bush, Sutter, and Post Streets are all totally fine through the Tenderloin. Turk, Ellis, and Eddy tend to be sketchier on certain blocks as you get deeper into the neighborhood. Also Market from 5th up through about 8th and 9th Streets.

The Tenderloin is inhabited by a large community of vietnamese immigrant families, but it does have its share of homeless, drugs, and prostitution which is really the "bad" element that you'll see there. In the day time, you'll be fine. At night, it might be a bit more precarious. Either way, if you find yourself in an area that makes you uncomfortable, just use common sense. Mind your own business and keep walking.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the helpful replies! J_Correa, thanks for the website. It looks like it will be very helpful. mykidssherpa, we spend a lot of time in Chicago, so we're used to homeless people approaching us. It's sad to see, but it doesn't scare me. SanFranciscoNative, thanks for the information about which streets are "sketchier" than others. We'll probably not worry about breakast at Canteen

Sandy
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM

Sutter Street is safe to walk!

I don't know Canteen, but 800 block of Sutter is not the same as the core of Tenderloin, which is approx. south of Geary.
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:22 PM
SAB

The 800 block of Sutter is perfectly fine, day or night, and Canteen is great, especially for dinner.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Faina & Sab,
Thanks so much for your clarification about the 800 block of Sutter. Hard to tell from just looking at a map

Sandy
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 05:46 AM

I have stayed many times at the Marines' Memorial Club/Hot. at 609 Sutter: fine area.
M