Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco - Andrews or Amsterdam hotels...comments, please?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 01:17 PM
arjay

Have been looking at a number of the recommended (here) hotels (i.e., inn at Union Sq, petit auberge, etc..) but also came across these, which are a little less pricey and look to be pretty nice. Very interested in knowing if their immediate environs are ok, and anything else about personal experience there. Thanks!

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Caitlin

I can't offer first-hand experience, as I haven't stayed in either hotel (and I'm not familiar with the Amsterdam). That said, the immediate and surrounding areas are just fine and quite convenient, and everyone I know who's stayed at the Andrews has had positive things to say about it.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Brenda Gannon

I stayed at the Andrews several years ago so cant speak for now but found it charming and the location which hasnt changed is ideal,very central but just away from the bustle.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:46 AM
sjohnson

arjay

The Andrews is a much better choice than the Amsterdam. The Andrews is just a great little european-style hotel. Small rooms, small bathrooms. great location and feel. Go for it.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:53 AM
Donna

I stayed at the Andrews Hotel 2 1/2 years ago. While the location is ideal I was not too impressed with the hotel itself. Just so you know the rooms are quite small including the bathroom but clean. The elevator is old and slow so we took the stairs to the fourth floor everytime and after walking around the city all day this was not a pleasant experience. But on the upside they put out a continental breakfast on each floor about 6:00 am so you grab what you want and eat in your room which I thought was nice, sort of like breakfast in bed. You may want to call, they may have upgraded the elevator by now.

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 05:27 AM
Parrot Mom

Another big vote for the Andrews Hotel.. we have been there twice and it's rather difficult to get into...very popular.. but we find it charming, only a block or two from Union Square..the Fino Restaurant where you have your evening glass of wine has a special menu for guests.. and of course the wonderful breakfasts on each floor.. As a matter of fact a friend just returned from the Andrews this weekend..but I haven't gotten to talk to her.... Go to www.andrewshotel.com It is old fashioned and charming.. for further info or our pictures of it.. please write..

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:34 AM
arjay

Thanks, all, for the input. The Andrews sounds pretty worthwhile - I'm gathering info for a friend who's SF-bound in June. If it were me, I think I'd go for the Andrews!