Reload this Page >

One night in Minneapolis

Search

One night in Minneapolis

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Patrick

One night in Minneapolis

Driving from Detroit area to Minneapolis in one day in mid June, then on to Fargo, then Winnipeg on the way to Alaska. We are staying at the Whitney (now a Hyatt and got an $89 rate!) for one night. Any restaurant suggestions in the area? We will have driven enough that day so prefer to do some walking. We've saved on the hotel, so not too concerned with price on the restaurant. Not looking for elegant and formal, but perhaps some of Minneapolis' "best".

Old Mar 13th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Arch

You are very close to the river and there are plenty of paths to walk. You are also very close to nightlife in the warehouse district. Unfortunatelly there is quite a bit of construction taking place around your hotel but maybe they will be finished by June.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Phil Tune

The Whitney is next to the river and within walking distance to the Stone Arch Bridge where you can get a great view of the falls. On the other side of the river, going up river a block or two, are restaurants that would be nice in June. The Nicollet Island Inn and the Whitney also have a good restaurants. If the weather is warm, the patio behind the Whitney is pleasant. Enjoy.

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 08:54 PM
Joe

I haven't eaten at many restaurants in Minneapolis, but some of my favorites are Buca di Beppo (Italian, downtown) and Sidney's (traditional, uptown).

Old Mar 14th, 2001, 10:50 PM
Cali

I like Murray's which is a old time steakhouse in downtown Mpls. and also enjoy the "Local" and Nicollet Island Inn. Have also had a wonderful dinner (over a year ago I must admit)at the restaurant in the Radisson Plaza downtown - sorry I can't remember the name. There is also Ruth Chris, Morton's and Aquavit in the IDS Tower.

Old Mar 15th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Patrick

Hey, Joe, I've got a question for you. About ten years ago we ate in Minneapolis at a Buca ----??something. It was a very popular semi-basement sort of place with huge platters of food. Seemed like a place that had been there a while. It was a few blocks away from the river from the downtown mall area. Recently I've been seeing Buca di Beppos springing up around the country, including one being built right here in Naples currently. Was that the original in Minn.? or am I thinking of another Buca?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 09:25 AM
Tom

To Patrick: The Buca's you dined at in Minneapolis is the same restaurant that you now see sprouting up around the country. They changed the restaurant name from Buca to Buca di Beppo. The company went public in April 1999. We just love Buca's! If you're ever in downtown Minneapolis we highly recommend it. Food is served in family portions and it's usually a bit noisy.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 11:13 AM
Jim Rosenberg

No question, Buca's rocks and washing down those monster meals with Chianti in a lively place is a very entertaining night out. Another "possible": Figlio's in Calhoun Square (Hennepin Ave) features an ecclectic menu with some nice pasta dishes (sorry, I don't recall the rest of the menu, but it's good...). It's a nice ambiance and they make one of the best Bloody Marys in the Twin Cities.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:24 PM
Zak

The Whitney has a wonderful restaurant on the first floor.

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 12:35 AM
Gloria

Hi, Patrick!
Fun to see what you are doing on the US board.
The Whitney is good choice in Minneapolis. One of my favorite restaurants is Kincaids, however. It's comfortable and well liked.
Lee Ann Chins is great for Chinese and is located downtown.
I see you are going to Fargo and then up to Winnepeg. Are you looking for the fastest or more scenic drive?
Welcome to Minnesota!
Gloria

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Patrick

Gloria, I guess we want the fastest as we will only be in Minneapolis one night (driving from Dearborn), then Fargo one night, then Winnipeg one night, so if we take all day to drive between each there wouldn't be any time, like a full afternoon, to explore each of the cities -- not that I'm sure there's a lot to explore in Fargo or Winnepeg.
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
And to Tom, thanks for the info about Buca. The new one opened last week here in Naples and we're getting a big group to go try it. Hope it's as good as our meal at the original in Minneapolis in 1994 (finally figured out what year we were there last).

Old Mar 24th, 2001, 07:53 PM
HHH

Hey Patrick:
Don't bother wearing your Hugo Boss blazer while driving around looking for Spago in MPLS. (Only kidding...I'm on your side on that 'discussion').
While the room service at the Whitney is better than that which you memorably noted at the Fontainebleau, I just wanted to warn you that the Whitney has gone steadily downhill since it opened around 12 years ago. Hyatt hasn't reversed this trend since buying it. Not that you'll find anyplace better in MPLS. And not to imply that it's to be avoided, but we've stayed there periodically during Whitney's 'lifespan' and have been disappointed in this trend.
Mid June MPLS will be getting above freezing for that annual month of summertime warmth. Not really, of course. MPLS is a truly beautiful city during summer and a great place to visit. Please take a short drive over to Lake Calhoun to do your walking around. It's a hub of activity during summer with a walking/jogging circuit around the lake. It's only 1.5 miles from downtown and a great place to enjoy the outdoors.
Winnipeg and Fargo, unfortunately, won't provide too much diversion during your loooong drive. Are you stopping in Banff?

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Karen

Just to let you know that you may not have to stay in Fargo if the time factor is important to you. Fargo is only approx. 4 hrs. from Minneapolis if you drive the speed limit. Grand Forks is about an hour (more or less) North of Fargo. Fargo to Winnipeg is about the same distance as it is to Minneapolis, so you could make the trip all in a day. Be advised - I-29 is the highway you would take North from Fargo, but road construction is scheduled for the up-coming season - I don't know for how long a stretch. You may want to check with the state road dept. before heading out. An alternative route to Alaska could be thru North Dakota & Montana on I-94 (West) good, fast moving roads, nice scenery, inexpensive motels. Would go thru the ND Badlands (very pretty, like a mini Grand Canyon) on the way, & Montana's mountains. But I do feel confident you could make it to Minneapolis to Winnipeg in a day.

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 03:41 PM
Patrick

Thanks for the advise HHH and Karen. I'm leaving my Hugo Boss blazer at home, don't you know that Hugo Boss "sucks"? I wouldn't want anyone to get the giggles if I appeared in it somewhere in public.
Yes, I knew we could get to Winnipeg in a day, but is there a reason to stay there two nights, or should we just stick with having an afternoon in Fargo and an afternoon in Winnipeg? We've done the Montana drive before, coming north from South Dakota and Wyoming however. And no Banff this trip, although we've done that before and it is truly a magnificent area. Is there any thing to stop and see in Grand Forks rather than Fargo or in addition?

Old Mar 25th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Cali

I personally would spend more time in Minneapolis and less in Fargo and then one day in Winnipeg. I don't know of anything in either Fargo or Grand Forks that I would recommend as "must sees". We truly enjoy Mpls. and think you will too. I agree with the poster who suggested a walk around Lake Calhoun. Try the whole Lake Calhoun, Lake of the Isles and Lake Harriet Area. Really pretty, lots of activity and a great walk, run or skate in June. Have a good trip!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Fargo Chick

It's 240 miles from Minneapolis to Fargo, 225 miles from Fargo to Winnipeg. Ideally, you could leave MPLS in the morning, hit Fargo for lunch and be in Winnipeg in late afternoon.

Even though the strength of our dollar makes Canadian travel very attractive, I'd suggest you fill gas somewhere before you hit the border. (We like Drayton, N.D.)

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 11:40 AM
arjay

We stayed at the Whitney last November, and tho I have no previous experience there to compare it with, found it to be very good quality. The room and bath were large and very comfortable (tho an easy chair would've been nice). Had a great dinner at the Nicolett Island Inn...and it's only about a five minute drive away.