San Francisco and wine country

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
San Francisco and wine country

Hi everyone! This is my first post!!

My husband and I are going to San Francisco in April and would also like to check out some of the surrounding areas if possible. I'm definitely getting great tips from existing threads, but I think I will need some help with making up an itinerary so that we don't waste time or money in how we space everything out. Right now we're thinking three days in SF and then three days in wine country.

So first question - can we just pick up our car in SF and then drop it off at the airport when we fly out? Does it make sense to fly back home out of San Francisco, or is there another airport closer to the wine regions to fly home out of?

Can anyone suggest any ideas for an itinerary for after we leave SF? I'd like to see the redwood trees and take a scenic route. Is there anything else in the area that we should see? In the actual wine regions I think we'll rent bikes or something to get around - it just sounds super romantic and nice.

And of course any general tips on where to stay, eat, etc, would be lovely. We do have a budget, which I'm hoping to stick to ($3000 for six days).
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM

To answer the rental car question, yes, that would be best. There are plenty of major car dealers downtown SF. Pick it up on your way out of town.

We always use priceline for SF hotels. I would go for a 4* in one of the downtown areas.

In wine country, we usually stay in Santa Rosa. Again, using priceline. You will get a good price at a 4* Hyatt, or 3* Hilton/Doubletree. Check it out on biddingfortravel.

Here are a couple of websites for the Russian River Valley:

wineroad.com
visitwineroad.com -- this site has proposed itineraries for day trips to wineries in certain regions.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I'm going to check out those links right now.

Please tell me if this sounds crazy. Would it be possible to start very early in SF, and then drive down to Carmel/Monterey, and then drive back up to Muir Woods and Napa by evening? I have a hard time figuring out how long these drives will be! Also, during the drive south, will there be time to check out Palo Alto?

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:31 PM

You could go from SF to Monterrey and then back up to the wine country all in one day...but why??? Over night in Monterrey/Carmel at least. Then drive up to the wine country. If you fly Horizon which is part of Alaska Airlines I think, you can fly out of Santa Rosa to either LA or Seattle..if that's not where you are headed, then Oakland or SFO are your best choice.
Think of staying in Healdsburg...lots to see in the area, and great places to stay. Hotels, B&B's, and private guest cottages..check out www.sonomacountyvacations.com and see for yourself. Google "Armstrong Woods"... lovely red wood park in Guerneville, just outside of Healdsburg.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM

If you want to see redwoods, stop by Muir Woods on your way to NAPA. 15 minutes from the Golden Gate Bridge and one of the most beautiful parks anywhere.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM

If you leave SF early (assume after 6:00) for Monterey on a work day, you will hit rush-hour traffic and it could easily take you 3 1/2 hrs. On your return to SF - you will hit rush hour traffic again. It could take you 4 1/2 hrs to get on the Golden Gate Bridge from Monterey. Going through San Rafael, you'll hit rush hour traffic again & if you go up to Healdsburg (my favorite), you'll hit rush hour traffic in Santa Rosa. That trip could be 2 hrs. (total time 10 hrs). As you can see, you can't do that in 1 day. Rush hour traffic on a weekend won't be as bad, but still it's not a smart idea.

Stick with the Wine Country OR Monterey/Carmel - not both.

I've posted this a few times before, but not too recently. Here is a good scenic route to the Wine Country:

Head north across the Golden Gate Bridge. Just past the bridge, take the Alexander Av. exit towards Sausalito. When you get to the stop at the end of the freeway off ramp, turn left & go under Hwy 101. Continue on like you are going back across the bridge to SF, but take the road to the right that goes up-hill, just before actually getting on 101. There will be a sign that says you are entering the Golden Gate National Recreational area. Continue up on this road. You will see what is (in my opinion) the best views of San Francisco – The GG Bridge in the foreground & The City behind it. This area was formerly a military area that is still laced with bunkers, gun turrets, underground tunnels etc. It was opened up in the ‘70s. The views of The City, the Bridge, and the Golden Gate are breathtaking. You can see all the way down the San Mateo Coast from up here. Go all the way to the top and you hit a much smaller one-way road. On the way up, get out & enjoy the sights. The kids will love the bunkers & gun turrets. At the top where the main road ends, there is the largest gun turret, where you can climb up to for an almost 360 degree view. This view is best in the evening when the sun is in a better position to light up the bridge & highlight downtown. If you plan to pass this way again later in the day, skip this venue now & do it later. If there isn’t any fog, perhaps do it now because you never know when the fog will roll in & make viewing impossible.

Return the way you came up to this area. When you get to the junction just past the tunnel under 101, head straight to Sausalito. Just follow your nose (bearing right whenever possible), until you end up on Bridgeway – the main road along the bay in Sausalito. Drive along Bridgeway, enjoying the views back to the City. Sausalito has gotten a little tacky in the last few decades with all it’s mediocre art shops & cheep souvenir stands, but the setting is lovely & there’s some nice architecture. Continue North on Bridgeway until it joins 101 North again (towards San Rafael).

Take the Blithdale exit off 101 to Mill Valley. M.A.S.H. fans will recognize this place as the hometown of B.J. Hunnicut. Keep following Blithdale as it worms around a little in some not-so-picturesque areas before it reaches the center of Mill Valley (you’ll know when you get there). Turn left & park the car where you can. Walk around the area – there are some interesting shops. There’s kind of a central square in town (a good place for a latte if you’re ready for one). The south-west side of the square is Miller Ave. When you’re finished browsing, take Miller Ave. South. Shortly after the double road section of Miller Ave ends, take a right on Shoreline Highway – this is also the famous Ca Highway #1. Follow this to Muir Beach & Stinson Beach. This is a pretty drive. After a couple of miles past the Miller/Shoreline junction, there is a turnoff to Panoramic Hwy and the Muir Woods redwood grove. If you want to visit Muir Woods, do so but remember that it gets overwhelmed with day trippers from SF in the summer.

Continue on Shoreline (Hwy #1) past Muir Beach & on to Stinson Beach. There are some nice views of the ocean along this route. There’s a lookout over Muir Beach.

Stay on Hwy #1 past Stinson Beach. You will start to see a large land mass to your left (ocean side) This is Point Reyes National Seashore, where you could spend several days exploring the wildlife & natural beauty of this area. Drake’s Bay, on the west side of Pt Reyes, is where this Northern California area was first discovered – long before San Francisco Bay was discovered by Spanish explorers. Hwy #1 will go past a long lagoon (Tomales Bay). Just past the lagoon, Hwy #1 will turn inland.

Continue on Hwy 1 past Valley Ford. When it intersects the Bodega Highway, turn right (inland/east) & go to Bodega. This is where Alfred Hitchcock filmed several scenes from “the Birds”, including the schoolhouse scene.

If you are touring in the summer, there is a very good chance that you will be inundated by fog & not much of the coastline will be visible. If you have had enough fog, continue east on the Bodega Highway to Sebastopol. This is actually a nice drive (at the beginning). At Sebastopol, head north on #116 toward the Russian River. Just before Forestville, stop at Kozlowski Farms (on your left) if you want to pick up a sandwich. They have a large selection of jams, jellies, vinegar & other gourmet delights. Continue on #116 until it hits the Russian River at Guerneville (somewhat of an interesting town). Turn right & proceed east along the Russian River on River Road. I will continue to describe the remaining drive in the Wine Country section.

Back at Bodega, if the fog isn’t so bad & you want to see some more coast, stay on Hwy #1 to Bodega Bay. Continue north on #1 until it reaches Jenner. At Jenner, you can go north on #1 to Fort Ross to tour an early Russian fur trading fort – it is quite interesting. After visiting Fort Ross, return to Jenner & head east along the Russian River to Guerneville.

Wine Country
From Guerneville, head east along River Road. Stay on River Road as it crosses over the Russian River just past Hacienda – which will still be River Road. About 4 miles past crossing over the river, turn left on Wohler Road. You will start to see some vineyards now & there are some cute B&Bs close by. Stay on Wohler Rd as it crosses the river (again) on a very narrow 1 way bridge. Just past the bridge, turn right on to Westside Rd towards Healdsburg. You will see lots of vineyards on the way to Healdsburg.

You are now in the Sonoma County Wine growing area. In contrast to it’s more famous neighbor to the east (Napa), you will find the Sonoma wineries more inviting & less hectic – I actually like them better. In the Napa Valley, there are very few wineries where you can take a picnic lunch & spread out on the lawn. In Sonoma, they seem to go out of their way to invite you to use their facilities. On Westside Road, stop at Rochioli (one of the best Chards in Calif), Hop Kiln to see an interesting former kiln turned into a winery, and perhaps Armida, or Mill Creek. Just past Mill Creek winery, Westside Road will turn right (east) to head into Healdsburg just in front of the Madrona Manor. Turn left into the Madrona Manor Hotel, park the car & explore the lovely gardens & the exterior of this fantastic Victorian manor house. Go inside & poke your nose into some of the common rooms & pick up a brochure for your next visit to this area. It has a lovely dining room with excellent cuisine. It’s a popular wedding spot. Exit Madrona Manor and turn left and head north on West Dry Creek Road (not straight to Healdsburg).

You are now in the Dry Creek appellation of Sonoma County & it’s my favorite area in the wine country. Continue north on West Dry Creek Road (there’s a Dry Creek Rd which you will follow later). Stop at Lambert Bridge winery – this is one of the wineries that “invites” you to picnic on their lawn (they have lots of picnic tables). Continue north on West dry Creek Road road until you see a sign for Preston Vineyards. This is another winery that “invites” you to picnic. It has very pretty grounds – explore the outside bread oven, boules court, vegetable garden, flowers, and cats. The tasting room is quite nice – my wife likes their Rose wine. Return to West Dry Creek Road & continue north until the road ends. This is a pretty drive – would you like to own one of the houses near this dead-end? Turn around & head south. Turn left on Yoakim Road & then turn left (north) where it dead ends at Dry Creek Road. Proceed north on Dry Creek Rd & stop at Ferrari-Carano winery. This is the most "extravagant" winery in this area – it received a lot of criticism from locals (we know a few) when it was built. However, it is quite impressive. It has lovely gardens, a large “Tuscan” type villa, and a pretty tasting room (good Sauvignon Blanc). Exit Ferrari Carano & turn right (south) on Dry Creek Road towards Healdsburg. This is another pretty drive.

Healdsburg is our favorite town in the wine country – including anything in Napa. When you go under the freeway (on Dry Creek Rd) turn right when you hit Healdsburg Blvd & continue south until you see the town square – it’s obvious. Park the car & get out & explore. Tour the square & several blocks north & south of the square on Healdsburg Ave. There is a produce market Saturday morning west of the big hotel. This is a wonderful town to spend the night in. There is a new (overdone, in my opinion) large hotel (expensive) on the west side of the square – I think it’s called Healdsburg Hotel or something like that. There is also a B&B on the south side of the square & there are other B&Bs scattered throughout town. For dining in Healdsburg, we like Ravenous, Bistro Ralph, and Charcuterie which are all very popular with the locals. We also like Manzanita. Madrona Manor is less than 5 mins away, by car.

Day 2

If you’re staying near the square in Healdsburg, go to the Downtown Bakery (on the east side of the square) early in the morning & rub elbows with the (lucky) locals. Have a sticky bun &/or a scone. This bakery is very well known throughout the area. There are benches outside the bakery where the “bench bunch” meets each morning to chew the fat.

On to Napa Wine Country

Here is a beautiful drive that will get you to the Napa Valley. Head out north on Healdsburg Ave and once it gets out of town, it will curve to the right and connect with Alexander Valley Rd & passes Jimtown. This route goes through the beautiful Alexander Valley & Knights Valley. Turn right on Hwy #128 towards Calistoga. This section is lovely. Hanna is a nice winery to visit while driving through this area.

Proceed on to Calistoga.

Most tour books describe the Napa Valley thoroughly. As far as driving through this area is concerned, drive down Hwy 128 from Calistoga to Yountville and then east on Yountville Cross Rd to the Silverado trail & go south to Chimney Rock Winery. Turn around go north back to Calistoga on the Silverado Trail. Oakville Cross Rd, Rutherford Cross rd & the others linking #128 with the Silverado Trail are quite pretty.

There are lots of world famous wineries in this areas. I recommend visiting:

Robert Mondavi for the most complete tour on the grape growing & wine making process. Reserve a couple of days ahead at 707 968-2166 www.robertmondavi.com

Berringer for some lovely grounds & a very pretty Victorian “Rhine House”, but they don’t make wine at this site.

Sterling for the best views, but the line for the gondola ride to the tasting room will sometimes have a long wait.

Domaine Chandon to learn how Champagne (sparking wine) is made and for nice grounds & a lovely terrace to buy & taste some champagne & relax.

Neibaum-Coppola for the best gift shop & movie mementos (Francis Ford Coppola owns the winery) and very pretty buildings & grounds.

Silver Oak to taste the best Cabs (if available for tasting).

Clos Pegas for some unusual art & a lawn where you can picnic.

Silverado Vineyards for another good view of the Valley.

There are scads of great restaurants in the area. I find myself going back to:
Terra
Mustards
Martini House
Tra Vigne to wander around & pick up a picnic lunch (not a real fan of the cuisine). The building & grounds are quite nice. If you are not a “foodie”, this probably be the most fun place for a nice dinner in the Napa Valley.

Reserve at least a week ahead for all the above restaurants – perhaps more than 2 weeks ahead on summer weekends. Serious foodies will like Terra & Martini house the best & they are a little more formal. Families with kids will probably prefer Mustards or Tra Vigne.

Day 3

Perhaps catch a final winery on your way out of the Napa Valley. Mondavi opens at 9:00 and the first tour is a lot more calm & relaxed than later ones.

Go south on #29 towards San Francisco. Where #29 hits #121, go west on #121 (follow the signs to SF). Connect with #37 & then #101 back to SF.

Stu Dudley

Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:31 AM

Interesting reading, Stu. I agree about Sonoma being my preferred destination. In the town of Heldsburg, our fav restaurant is Willi's for small plate dining.There are also excellent tasting rooms in the square- my favorite is Rosenblum. Wilson Winery in Dry Creek has some of the finest wines in the area. Dutcher Crossing is also a nice stop. As far as Napa, the aforementioned are all big, touristy wineries which will have large crowds. Coppola is now Rubicon and they charge you $25 to get in. If you do get to Napa, try some of the smaller production wineries off the beaten path....Bennett Lane, Frank Family, Dutch Henry, Vinecent Arroyo, William Harrison, Zahlita, Sinsky.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:07 AM

Sultana: It's difficult to offer any pointers without knowing how long your trip to the Bay Area will be.

You could fly into San Jose (what is your depature city, BTW?) and go down to Monterey, overnight south of San Francisco, then head north to the "wine country" the next morning - even though there are plenty of wineries in the Monterey area as well. I assume you mean Sonoma and Napa Counties for "wine country".

For redwoods, Muir Woods north of San Francisco is a great suggestion. Or, when you are in Monterey, go down to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park which has some wonderful small hikes among the redwoods. There's even a rustic lodge there, so you could overnight there instead of in Monterey itself.

After going around wine country, return to San Francisco and spend the rest of your vacation there. Return the car the first/second day you are in SF. You will not need a car in SF and parking is very expensive.

Getting to San Francisco airport is easy. Either your hotel should have a shuttle or else, if you don't have much luggage, take BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) which has a stop right in San Francisco Airport. Getting to Oakland Airport, you can also take BART and then the shuttle bus. It's not easy to get to San Jose Airport from SF without a car, so I would suggest that, if you do fly into San Jose that you do NOT fly out of it. Do an open jaw flight: in to San Jose and out of SFO or OAK.

Have fun! and welcome to California!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

This is all really helpful! Thanks so much!

We went ahead and booked hotels and flights! We're flying from New York (JFK) to Oakland (soooo psyched to have gotten direct flights!), staying in SF for three nights and then Sonoma for three nights. I didn't at all think of doing it the other way around as the person above suggested!

I guess now that the Monterey/Carmel leg of the trip might be a little ambitious! We were hoping to get a nice mix of both city, coast and country, since we live in NYC and don't get to hang out with nature too much . But I don't want to devote a day to just driving, if the trip to Monterey/Carmel and back is going to take that long. Ah well - there will likely be a ton of beautiful scenery in Sonoma!

Thanks again, everyone .
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM

Follow the route I described. Muir Beach, Stinson Beach, & Pt Reyes are on the coastline & it's a very scenic drive.

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 06:48 AM

Hi Sultana,
The wine country is so lovely!

I want to add to the others' to please please avoid the big chain hotels; the area is full of fabulous charming b&bs in lovely settings. Staying in one of these will ad so much to you enjoyment of the area.
Have a great time!