San Francisco and Frieda Kahlo, Women Impressionists, and Ming Treasures

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are visiting San Francisco or live around the Bay Area, here are three wonderful art exhibits to visit for your pleasure.

The first is the Frieda Kahlo show at the SF MOMA, runs through September 28th. She was married to Diego Rivera and her paintings are very interesting in their own right.

http://www.sfmoma.org/exhibitions/ex...ail.asp?id=310

The second is the Women Impressionists exhibit at the Legion of Honor. I really liked this exhibit and have seen it twice already. It runs through September 21.

http://www.famsf.org/legion/exhibiti...ibitionkey=794

The third one is the Court Arts of the Ming Dynasty at the Asian Art Museum. This runs through September 21 as well.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Oops, the link to the Ming exhibit didn't paste. Here it is again.

http://www.asianart.org/courtarts.htm
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 06:47 AM

To add to your list: The Dale Chihuly exhibit at the de Young through Sept. 28.

http://tinyurl.com/59uecc
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM

When you said women impressionists....and considering this post is about SF.....well, I must say I thought you were talking about a completely different type of exhibit!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Betsy: thanks for adding the de Young special. I haven't been there yet, but Chiluly has two huge glass sculptures at the Legion of Honor. The red-orange-yellow one is outside in the courtyard, while the one spanning the blue-green spectrum is indoors. One can only wonder how these were moved!

travelin: Funny!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:13 PM

There was even a huge Chihuly chandelier on the Celebrity Millennium!

I haven't seen the SF exhibit yet, ET, but definitely plan to go.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 12:37 PM

Saw the Chihuly exhibit about a month ago and was knocked out by it. There is one room where all the sculptures are encased in a transparent ceiling, and you look up at them like an upside-down sea floor. There is a bench in that room so you don't foolishly bump into other people doing the same. Speaking of bumping into things, be aware that you will be asked upon entry to the exhibit to turn your handbag or daypack to the front of your body, so that you do not inadvertently whack a fragile, priceless piece of glass as move.

Also, the popularity of the Chihuly exhibit makes timed entries necessary. When you buy your ticket at the musuem's main entrance, they will give you a choice of 2 or 3 times to enter, usually spaced about a half hour apart. The time you choose is then encoded on your ticket.

Btw, I loved the Turkoman rug exhibit on the upper floor - if it's still there, it's a worthwhile way to spend the time before entering the Chihuly show downstairs.

And last but not least, no visit to the DeYoung is complete without going up to the observation tower. Even though I've lived in S.F. lo these many years, the views from the tower gave me a new understanding of the terrain of the western part of this city.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Dovima: Thanks for the heads up on getting a time slot to see the Chihuly exhibit!

By the way, if you get an annual membership, it'll get you into BOTH the De Young and the Legion of Honor for a whole year. The family membership is $85 and allows you four tickets. Such a bargain, considering that one ticket for one exhibit could be $15 to $20!

We're so fortunate to have such great exhibits come to San Francisco! I love that Legion of Honor! It always has something unique and interesting as a special exhibit and then when one is done with seeing the exhibit, that view - as you walk out of the front entrance - all the way through the trees to San Francisco harbor - wow! We have seen so many wedding parties do their photo shoots up there!
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Kal

I sprained my chihuly once.
Smarted for weeks.
Old Jul 15th, 2008, 08:20 PM

wow, thanks for these alerts, easytraveler....I would never have known! I was supposed to go last weekend and trip got canceled. I wasn't going to reschedule but with this info, I feel more compelled to try and find another weekend before Sept. 28th. These are all exhibits I'd be interested in; thanks!