Big Sur California Forest Fires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Gallery Fire in Big Sur has burned 2000 acres and is 0% contained. It's located 2-3 miles south of Big Sur in the Los Padres Forest. The fire is moving northward. Highway 1 remains closed between the Ventana Inn on the north to the Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park to the south.
This is horrible news for the wilderness of Big Sur. I know my wife and I are planning to return to Big Sur this October. I sure hope they can contain this fire so it won't destroy such a beautiful coastline

The link shows the current conditions and areas closed for the Gallery and Indians Forest Fires in Los Padres National Forest.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/lospadres/conditions/
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear God, your backyard is on fire!
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

I would assume Nepenthe would be closed as Hwy 1 is closed.

Old Jun 24th, 2008, 04:51 AM

Ugh, horrible. My gf and I have plans for Big Sur this summer.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Welcome to California!

Curious
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

I just called Nepenthe and was told that they will be closed until Hwy 1 is reopened. He told me that Nepenthe as of right now is safe from the fire.

I'm not sure if thats smoke or fog in Nepenthe's web cam.

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

My wife and I are staying to the Post Ranch Inn in October. I just got off the phone with them as I was concerned about the fires in the area.
The women I spoke at Post Ranch told me that the fire is heading east away from the ranch. The fire fighters are hoping this fire will connect with the larger Indian fire and burn itself out.
You can click on my above link to see the locations of the fires. She did say that the Gallery fire which is the closest to them is burning out of control.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 10:55 AM

We have fog and smoke in Carmel, today. The weather is so strange. Blame Bush.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 11:21 AM

By the way, here's an excellent website with webcam shots: http://www.kusp.org/fire/sur.html
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tess
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM

You're welcome. I just talked to someone who lives in BS. She said that their car is loaded up, their business is boxed up and they're waiting to hear whether or not they have to evacuate. She said she was miserable, last night, while trying to sleep...burning nose, coughing, it's terrible. It's very windy, today, too.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

I just hope the Gallery fire moves east away from the coast. This would give it a better chance of burning itself out while converging with the larger Indians fire.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

I just read that the Big Sur fire which is now called Basin is expected to merge with the larger Gallery fire to the south and east of Big Sur as early as this evening.

The Basin fire in the Ventana Wilderness area is unstaffed. Structure protection engines were in place along Partington Ridge, the North Coast Ridge Road and Highway 1.
Local fire crews are holding the fire east of Highway 1 and south of the community of Big Sur.

You can see the smoke coming over the ridge in the Nepenthe web cam.
http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/images/weather-cam.html
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:03 PM

They said on the news that there are over 100 fires burning and some are not staffed since they do not pose a threat at this point.

It is going to be a long summer for our firefighters...let's say a prayer for them.
Old Jun 24th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Here is a local news clip from Big Sur and Nepenthe.

http://www.ksbw.com/video/16701728/index.html

Old Jun 26th, 2008, 06:42 AM

It sounds like this summer will be bad for California fires, and our prayers are with the firefighters and residents there.

In less than 3 weeks we have plans for a San Francisco/Carmel/Big Sur trip down Hwy. 1 (ultimately arriving in Pasadena a week later to fly out of Burbank). Does anyone have a report on the current conditions? It's probably too early to tell if we should change parts of our plans (I wouldn't even know what to change them to), but I am concerned. Thanks for your responses!
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 08:49 AM

tam1065 :

We live in Santa Cruz County - north end of Monterey Bay - our county has already had three bad fires in June with a number of homes and livestock lost.

Today there is some smoke in the air here from the fires near Big Sur, and it is my understanding that Highway One is closed south of Monterey.

It's been very scary - we live in the redwood forest in Santa Cruz Mountains and have moved all our photo albums and other irreplacable items to a friend's home in San Jose. We have cat carriers next to the front door, and a plan in place in the event of a fire close to our home. There is but one long two-lane road in and out of our populated valley, so we know it will likely not be possible to evacuate if there is a fast-moving fire.

If the fires are not out by the time you arrive (or if there are new ones) you will probably have to head east to Hwy 101 from Monterey/Carmel and then you can loop back to the coast further south past Big Sur and continue to Pasadena.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Tam, if your trip is three weeks away, you'll probably be fine. If you have reservations with an inn in the southern part of Big Sur, you might want to contact them next week, depending on how the fires go, and see what's up. I know that as of today, Deetjen's and Ventana are both still fully evacuated, as they're on the east side of Highway One. Many restaurants have closed, the state parks are all closed to all except firefighters and Highway One is still closed between Ventana and Esalen. But some places are open.

It sort of breaks my heart to know that right now Julia Pfeiffer Burns. Firefighters are there battling the fire way in the back of the park, but there's no roads going back there, so they're limited to hand crews and airplane drops. I hope they can control this area in particular, because to me JPB is the crown jewel of Big Sur. My husband and I had a wonderful stay in a house just south of there 3 weeks ago and now that magnificent area is evacuated and directly threatened. Unfortunately, fire in the Big Sur wilderness happens. I just hope they can get a handle on this one very soon.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 09:46 AM

scdreamer:

Thank you for your response. Our trip doesn't rate as very important compared to what you in the area must be living through. I truly hope and pray that all goes well with the residents first and can only imagine what you are going through. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question, and I hope the fires are contained soon.
Old Jun 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM

All of Northern California is very smoky. Here is the article from the SF Chronicle with warnings especially for certain groups of people. The smokey air is sure getting to me today.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...F182.DTL&tsp=1

I am in the lower end of the Sacramento Valley and although our Wild Horse Fire (Napa and Solano Counties) is contained between that and all the other fires it is terrible. My heart breaks for all the fire fighters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -