COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

SAN FRANCISCO

Old May 27th, 1997, 02:17 PM
Patti Hynds

SAN FRANCISCO

Going to San Francisco in July & have reservations at the Cartright Hotel in Union Square.
Would like feedback on anyone that has been there.
The Autumn issue of Hotel & Travel Index listing has "a Fodor's
Most Highly Recommended" but I don't see it in Fodor's
web sight.

Old May 27th, 1997, 06:14 PM
Nelson Lau

Your can try the "Bed and Breakfast" in the Bay Area.I will be much ceaper. Go to the www.yahoo.com
and go surfing. Good Luck.

Old May 29th, 1997, 09:43 AM
Sue

Anticipating a trip to SF in August, I have checked
several web sites for info on hotels. Check
www.hotelres.com for the Cartright and it shows a
picture of the lobby, a typical room, and a map.
Check out www.expedia.com/wg/places/United States/
San Francisco/TEHSBD.htm, which should make you
feel better the Cartright is away from the areas
they tell you to be careful of.

Old May 29th, 1997, 09:50 AM
Sue

Forgot to add this -- I'll be going to SF in
August, so if you have a chance, let me know if
you go past the Chancellor Hotel off Union Square
and if it looks O.K.
Thanks!

Old May 31st, 1997, 06:10 PM
d.neilan

My wife and I were guests at the Cartwright this month. Union Square is definately one of the areas to stay in. The hotel is small and quaint. It is NOT the MARRIOTT of HYATT -- if that is what you are looking for. The lobby is very inviting. We arrived and there was ice tea on a side cupboard and magazines on the tables in the homey lobby. Rooms are very small but we spent so little time in it! Every afternoon wine is served in the lobby at 5:00 and there is a continental breakfast in he morning. We could walk to Neiman-Marcus and Chinatown. We took a city tour with Great Pacific Tours. This was a van tour of the city--not a bus! We were let off at Gharadelli Square/Fisherman's Wharf after and we rode the cable car back to the hotel!

Old May 31st, 1997, 06:15 PM
d.neilan

One more thing--the room at the Cartwright was $139 a night compared to $229 at the Marriott. If we had our kids with us we would have opted for the Marriott for the game room, etc. but we spent most of our time sightseeing. The Cartwright also has a list of restaurants in the area you can eat at then have the bill put on your room tab! Try Perry's for a great "pub" supper and a brew. It's about a three block walk from the hotel. Also theater district is within walking distance.