Reload this Page >

San Fran to Sacramento

Search

San Fran to Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Emily

San Fran to Sacramento

I am flying in to SFO and I need to go to Sacramento. The air fare is ridiculous.Is there another way to do this besides renting a car??
Thanks....

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:48 AM
nancy

you can try taking amtrak... they go to Davis a town on the way to Sac. so I assume they also go to Sac. Or you can try Greyhound.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:23 AM
RB

Look at the following web page for BART (SF's transit agency)on how to shuttle from airport to Amtrak's Capitol Corridor train, which goes to SAC www.transitinfo.org/Amtrak/
I used Amtrak from SAC to SF in 1998- picking up a bus shuttle to get to downtown SF. Very straightforward and good service from both agencies. Only tip is to pack in manner that allows you to hoist your bags easily since you'll be moving from bus shuttle to train. Can't remember cost of ticket but it was a definite cost savings over car rental. Hopes this helps.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 06:54 AM
nancy

yes, this is true: you have to take a bus then the train. but i've taken amtrak from davis to sf.... and i used amtrak the whole way. you get on a bus in sf (to cross the bay bridge) and then they take you to an amtrak terminal in the east bay. If you take BART you may have to walk to a train terminal. There is a website for bay area transit...try searching for BART on google and you can find it. they may say there whether the BART and amtrak stations are the same.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:34 PM
Faina

Emily, the best way is Amtrak, it goes up to Sacramento. Check Amtrak website, I beleive there is a bus which takes you from SFO to Emeryville (there is no Amtrak station in SF, only connecting bus). If not, you need to go to San Francisco Embarcadero Amtrak. They will help you at information kiosk in the airport. Even without advance Amtrak reservations it's no problem at all to get there, just check Amtrak schedule, I think that Sacramento trains don't run at night. If you need more help - e-mail me, as lately it's a pain to open Fodor's website.