Kauai Travel Guide

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 09:59 AM
sharon

Kauai Travel Guide

Can anyone reccomend a good guide/travel book for Kauai? Thank You

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 11:39 AM
Lenore

We bought Maui Revealed The Ultimate Guidebook....and it is! They same authors have books for both The Big Island and Kauai by Wizard Publications. The Kauai version is called The Ultimate Kauai Guidebook. The authors (Doughty & Friedman) actually live in Hawaii so their knowledge and opinions appear to be first hand and genuine.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Marie

Above poster is absolutely correct on all counts, I actually left Maui Revealed home, and panicked. I was stopping people I saw with the book to find things I was looking for, but I really missed it on the drive to Hana. If you have to order them from your local bookstore, that is how I had to get Maui Revealed, they also have a website when you buy the books they give you a code to get into updates.

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 06:37 AM
joan

Just bought this book via the web. www.barnesandnoble.com. Also check amazon.com. If you buy two books at Barnes and Noble, there's no sales tax, no shipping, and the books are slightly discounted.

P.S. Amazon.com directed me to Half.com for "used" books. I figured what the heck, don't need it to be new (the Maui book is from 2000). Well, they charged my credit card and never sent the book. I eventually got a credit, but waited a month with no book. Don't buy from Half.com!

Old Feb 25th, 2002, 07:17 AM
kal

Aloha all,
Our last trip to Kauai was this past Dec-01/Jan-02 and the talk from some of our local friends was "we really hate that Ultimate Guide to Kauai", so it must be doing something right for tourists!

We've used that one and one by Lenore (any realtion?) Horowitz called The Kauai, Hawaii Guide.
Mahalo,
Kal
ps to Joan...how many mo' days, sistah?

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:20 AM
Jay

I bought the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook a bout 6 months ago. It has a lot of information. I've read a lot of them in the bookstore, but the consensus is this one's the best. I agree, although I haven't been to Kauai yet. By reading this book I feel like I know the island already. I can't wait to go !!!

52 more days.... !!!

Kal, thanks for your info about the golf courses. I know someone on the island and I was going to ask them to buy me some gift certificates so I could pay a lesser rate. They opted not too, though. I think they thought they'd get kicked off the island : )

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 04:59 AM
Don

The Ultimate Kauai guidebook is definately my top choice since it gives great candid reviews on accomodations. But if you are already set in that department, another great guide is the Underground guide to Kauai. Lots more pictures, rated above the Ultimate Kauai guidebook for helpfulness, just missing accomodation reviews. Also, the book comes with a CD of Hawaiian music. Both books are excellent...just offering you some choices!

Don

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 11:55 AM
kal

Jay, Good move. You don't want to upset the Kauaian golf gods while you're over there!
52, eh?
Man..."only" 300 mo' days for us!!!!!
Kal

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:02 PM
Suzie

Hey Don,

I also purchased the Underground Guide and had forgotten about the cd. I'm gonna jet home and put it on. It's sunny enough to pretend I'm there. Still have the hawaiian flower arrangement I sent DH for V Day so I'm all set. I used the Ultimate Guide more than the Underground Guide but I was glad I had it with me when we went. Unlike Jay and Kal no countdown.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:32 PM
kal

Suz,
After you put on the CD and look at the flowers, crack open a tube of Coppertone and you're there!

Put some on before the ride last weekend and BAM...back to Kauai!

Ahhhh...The little things we do to get thru life!
Kal

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 12:50 PM
joan

Hey Bruddah Kal! I think it's 193 and counting! Yippeee!! Haven't actually booked yet, so the number may change a little. Wasn't there a website you found that helped with countdowns (after all, my abacus is getting worn out)?

Joan
P.S. Thanks to you - I know you valiantly came through the skin cancer ordeal, and I will remember your wise advice and ALWAYS use it when I'm in HI.

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 01:37 PM
kal

Joan, I'm still using my "Millennium Countdown Clock" along with my desk calendar.

Appears I should use a calculator too since we are really planning on going over either 12-28/29 so it's really more like 303! poop!

Regarding the "Little C", still recovering.
A bit of a minor setback but nothing at all to worry about...Just don't get old! Takes longer to heal! ;^D
Kal